DF
Posted By
Derek Fountain
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using Photoshop for a couple of years now, and have always used a mouse. Everything I seem to read says "a tablet is essential". That sounds rather subjective really, so I was wondering if one would benefit me.

I don’t do anything arty, as such. No drawing or anything like that. I do mostly photography work, which for the most part involves cropping, straightening, colour correcting, etc. Would a tablet help there? I’ve always assumed not.

I also do some editing work, mostly retouching and restoration. For the most part I feel like I get on with the mouse. Occasionally there’s a tricky selection or path which makes me think I could really use a tablet, but generally I seem to manage. Yet in her book, Katrin Eismann describes a tablet as "an absolute must".

Someone tell me, what am I missing out on?

My local computer store has Wacom 4×5" Graphire3 tablet in stock, which seems rather small to me. Is a tablet which is smaller than a standard photo useful or a gimmick? They also have a 6×8" version, but it’s twice the cost of the small one. Does it make that much difference as to justify the expense? Is it worth going the whole hog and getting the Intuos2 version (which no one seems to sell locally)?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
jenelisepasceci
Jul 23, 2004
Derek Fountain wrote:

I’ve been using Photoshop for a couple of years now, and have always used a mouse. Everything I seem to read says "a tablet is essential". That sounds rather subjective really, so I was wondering if one would benefit me.
I don’t do anything arty, as such. No drawing or anything like that. I do mostly photography work, which for the most part involves cropping, straightening, colour correcting, etc. Would a tablet help there? I’ve always assumed not.

I also do some editing work, mostly retouching and restoration. For the most part I feel like I get on with the mouse. Occasionally there’s a tricky selection or path which makes me think I could really use a tablet, but generally I seem to manage. Yet in her book, Katrin Eismann describes a tablet as "an absolute must".

My local computer store has Wacom 4×5" Graphire3 tablet in stock, which seems rather small to me. Is a tablet which is smaller than a standard photo useful or a gimmick? They also have a 6×8" version, but it’s twice the cost of the small one. Does it make that much difference as to justify the expense? Is it worth going the whole hog and getting the Intuos2 version (which no one seems to sell locally)?

A tablet won’t be of much help for the cropping, colour correction and straightening part, but it is really helpful with the retouching. I use a full blown intuos at work and a small graphire at home and for the retouching both do the job. Size does matter 😉 if you do graphic work in pen mode, but for retouching it is allright to work in mouse mode. This is way faster, more precise and does not stress the hand as much as a mouse.
Just my two cents
Peter
DF
Derek Fountain
Jul 23, 2004
the retouching both do the job. Size does matter 😉 if you do graphic work in pen mode, but for retouching it is allright to work in mouse mode. This is way faster, more precise and does not stress the hand as much as a mouse.

Er, daft question time: what is "mouse mode" and what is "pen mode"?
J
jenelisepasceci
Jul 23, 2004
Derek Fountain wrote:

the retouching both do the job. Size does matter 😉 if you do graphic work in pen mode, but for retouching it is allright to work in mouse mode. This is way faster, more precise and does not stress the hand as much as a mouse.

Er, daft question time: what is "mouse mode" and what is "pen mode"?

In mouse mode, the position of the mouse cursor on the screen does not depend on the absolute position of the pen on the tablet, it only reacts to movements of the pen on the surface of the tablet, just like a real mouse behaves on a pad. In pen mode however, the coordinates of the mouse cursor are linked to the coordinates of the pen on the tablet. Whenever the pen is lifted from the tablet in this mode and lowered again at a different position, the cursor will jump to the screen coordinates which map to the new position.
Pen mode is mandatory for, say, drawing a cartoon from a sketch which is positioned under the transparent lid of the tablet. Quite in contrast, when retouching a photograph, mouse mode is rather comfortable, since it does not require excessive movements of the working hand and arm, which can be positioned freely anywhere on the tablet.
Peter
N
noone
Jul 23, 2004
In article <41009d03$0$29272$>,
says…

I completely concur with an earlier followup to your post. For much of what you are currently doing, a mouse is fine. When you get into selections, however, a tablet is by far the best choice. Just making a Marquee Selection, etc. will benefit little, but even the Lasso is much more precise with a pen. When you switch to Quick Mask mode for some final tweaking, the pen is invaluable.

Size is a matter of preference and is quite personal. If you think you’d like to work with it in your lap, as some do, smaller is better. My 12×12 wouldn’t work well at all that way. I, OTOH, work with it on my desk surface, so I like larger tablets, as they offer more minute movements. This is personal, and reflective of how I work.

See my answer to Jonathan Sachs’ question re: tablets, earlier in this group, for a brief rundown of the attributes of different models of Wacom tablet.

I’d say try a refurbished Graphire, and see if you like it. If so, think about size and how you work. Then, if you do want more, look into the Intuos [SP?] line.

Hunt
H
Hecate
Jul 24, 2004
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:11:33 +0800, Derek Fountain
wrote:

This is where the tablet would be really useful, especially using the pen tool to make selections. Katrin is right 😉

Sorry, but really, size doesn’t matter 😉

Actually it does in a way – the bigger the tablet the more arm movements you have to make to get something done. I wouldn’t use a tablet above A5 personally unless you’re a graphic artist drawing directly to screen. Even then, a smaller tablet is usually enough. You see, you can map the tablet to any space on the screen and save that mapping for individual programs. SO, for example, I have my tablet mapped to just the image area in PS. And I use a trackball for accessing everything else.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
O
only4
Jul 24, 2004
Hecate wrote:

Sorry, but really, size doesn’t matter 😉

Actually it does in a way – the bigger the tablet the more arm movements you have to make to get something done.

Thanks, you made my day.
PW
Pjotr Wedersteers
Jul 25, 2004
Derek Fountain wrote:

I purchased the Intuos2 (A4 size, I think that’s close to US letter size) and don’t regret it. I do however think for most use in PS a smaller version will suffice. Only when I draw directly or trace existing paper photo’s or images for an outline the bigger size is handy. I think they have become a bit cheaper lately by the way, I paid over 600$ for my Intuos2 a couple of years ago.

But a tablet rocks when it comes to retouching, pen tool work, quickmask work, handwriting and painterly effects. There is no substitute for a pressure- and or tiltangle-changing stroke of the tablet pen. But not everyone uses or needs that.

I can say I’m a happy camper with mine, and don’t know anyone who regretted buying one (yet).
My $0.02

Pjotr
C
clw
Jul 25, 2004
In article <4103fab1$0$568$>,
"Pjotr Wedersteers" wrote:

Derek Fountain wrote:

I was going crazy trying to use a Turbo Mouse to make selections. I got a small 4×5 Wacom tablet and after just a few sessions of practice it made a world of difference.

Do not know about your particular "absolute must", but for such things as you describe, the table works much better for me than a mouse.

Fine control in selections, and I am wondering if I shouldn’t just dump the mouse and just use the tablet for all mouse functions. even for web surffing, word processing editing etc. It is almost addicting.

I purchased the Intuos2 (A4 size, I think that’s close to US letter size) and don’t regret it. I do however think for most use in PS a smaller version will suffice. Only when I draw directly or trace existing paper photo’s or images for an outline the bigger size is handy. I think they have become a bit cheaper lately by the way, I paid over 600$ for my Intuos2 a couple of years ago.

I think the smaller size is adequate. In fact, I wonder if having to move the pen twice as far when making selections would not lead to more tracing errors.

But a tablet rocks when it comes to retouching, pen tool work, quickmask work, handwriting and painterly effects. There is no substitute for a pressure- and or tiltangle-changing stroke of the tablet pen. But not everyone uses or needs that.

The new software also includes a hand writing module that might be fun to play with, but I have not gotten around to it yet.

Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps.
R
Roberto
Jul 26, 2004
LMAO! I haven’t tried that one, yet. How exactly does it work? 😉

"clw" wrote in message
In article <4103fab1$0$568$>,
[sic]
the table works much better for me than a mouse.
[sic]

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections