O
Posted By
ooo
Nov 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A high-resolution image in Photoshop 7 looks great in its RGB working form, and looks just as great after being flattened and converted to CMYK for printing.

That same file, loaded in an Illustrator 10 project, comes out too dark (more specifically, the shades of blue are coming through too dark).

Reload the file in Photoshop… perfect.

Back in AI… blues are too dark.

We’re talking MAJOR shift in colors (not subtle by any means). What am I doing wrong? I need to send this to the printers in its original, non-dark form. They’re getting it too dark as well. I need to correct the problem at the source.

Help?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JC
J C
Nov 20, 2003
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:19:08 -0500, "The Cerebral Ass ©" wrote:

A high-resolution image in Photoshop 7 looks great in its RGB working form, and looks just as great after being flattened and converted to CMYK for printing.

That same file, loaded in an Illustrator 10 project, comes out too dark (more specifically, the shades of blue are coming through too dark).

We’re talking MAJOR shift in colors (not subtle by any means). What am I doing wrong? I need to send this to the printers in its original, non-dark form. They’re getting it too dark as well. I need to correct the problem at the source.

Help?

That’s a color management issue between PS and Illustrator. In general trust the image as viewed in PS. Assuming of course that you have set up your monitor and it is correctly color calibrated and that PS is handling the correct color profile and using the correct settings for Adobe Gamma.

By the way, you say your printer is "getting it too dark as well." Do you mean on their screen? Or are they actually outputting the file and printing it too dark?

I know there are times that bitmap art has to be placed in Illustrator so that the vector art can be added, but if these two elements don’t have to be placed in Illustrator, a better solution for publishing would be to use a page layout application and then place all the artwork into it. Then create a press ready PDF file.

— JC
O
ooo
Nov 20, 2003
….anyone? :-S

"The Cerebral Ass
P
Ph
Nov 21, 2003
Hey mister you had some answers in the Illustrator group.

Peter

"The Cerebral Ass ©" wrote:
…anyone? :-S

"The Cerebral Ass ©" wrote in message
A high-resolution image in Photoshop 7 looks great in its RGB working
form,
and looks just as great after being flattened and converted to CMYK for printing.

We’re talking MAJOR shift in colors (not subtle by any means). What am I doing wrong? I need to send this to the printers in its original, non-dark form. They’re getting it too dark as well. I need to correct the problem
at
the source.

Help??
L
lince2k
Nov 21, 2003
"The Cerebral Ass ©" wrote in message news:<

It’s fine. There may be no problems.

Try to match the colour profiles of Illustrator with that of Photoshop.

It will be so (perfect) and will be same if you repeat it n’ number of times

Please! Check out your colour profile.

I am too working with a prepress supplier, and do have come across issuse like this in the begining stage. Please let us know if I am wrong and, you get a better alternative

Thanks,
Lince
O
ooo
Nov 21, 2003
Lince,

What color profile should I be using? Is there somekind of standard? Photoshop and Illustrator did indeed have two separate profiles… but I am lost in the options available.

: (

"Dr. Lince M. Lawrence" wrote in message

I
iehsmith
Nov 22, 2003
Don’t know if this will be any help, but I send to differrny printers since my husband is a print broker. So far they have ALL told me to keep color management turned off in
Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand and select "leave color as is" in Distiller job options.
And since it’s a prepress/color managment question you
might also ask on: comp.publish.prepress

Newsgroups: alt.graphics.illustrator,alt.graphics.photoshop Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:40:47 -0500
Subject: Re: – RGB/CMYK question… (take 2)

Lince,

What color profile should I be using? Is there somekind of standard? Photoshop and Illustrator did indeed have two separate profiles… but I am lost in the options available.

TF
Tom Ferguson
Nov 22, 2003
The wonder of the web is that we can ask and get answers to all sorts of things. Its shortcoming is we don’t know where the answers come from….

Which is to say that the answer to your question depends on what part of the world you live in, as well as what type of paper you are going to print on, as well as the specific print house you are going to use.

The "SHORT" answer for the USA is to use SWOP (coated) as the default CMYK space (both during and after conversions) in both Photoshop and Illy. That is the "short" answer and will get you "in trouble" from time to time if you don’t understand and act on the paragraph above.

In article <D6svb.63203$>, The Cerebral
Ass © wrote:

Lince,

L
lince2k
Nov 25, 2003
"The Cerebral Ass ©" wrote in message news:

<D6svb.63203$>

What color profile should I be using? Is there somekind of
standard?
Photoshop and Illustrator did indeed have two separate profiles… but I am lost in the options available.

Try using Adobe RGB (Colour Profile). Or else, create a custom colour profile. It will help.
After-all Illustrator is a vector editor, while PhotoShop is a pixel based editor.

Thanks,
Lince ML
A
Alexgirl
Nov 26, 2003
I use US Prepress defaults CMYK for all my prepress work.

Alex
Use between nospam to reply

"The Cerebral Ass

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections