W
Posted By
webgeo99
Nov 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok, what does Photoshop 7 do that 6 doesn’t? Why should I spend my hard earned money to upgrade when everything I need to do can be done in 6?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DH
Darrel Hoffman
Nov 19, 2003
Ok, what does Photoshop 7 do that 6 doesn’t?

Several things, but most notable (to me) are:
Healing brush
Patch tool
(both great for removing blemishes without bluring detail. You have to see it in action to appreciate it.)
Crazy new brush settings. You can do all kinds of effects with the brush tool now. Layers in the Liquify tool. Always sucked that only 1 layer at a time worked before. Dockable UI. Not a huge benefit, but it can be a helpful. Asset browser
Several new layer/tool blend modes (Pin Light, Vivid Light, Linear Light) Tool Presets tab (At least I think that’s new in 7)
Web transparency
Rollovers (Image Ready)

Why should I spend my hard
earned money to upgrade when everything I need to do can be done in 6?

That’s up to you. If everything you need can be done in 6, then don’t bother. There’s not really anything absolutely vital. PS6
can open PS7 files, so you don’t need to worry about compatibility with other users that have bought 7. My recommendation would be
to try out 7 first on somebody else’s machine to see if it’s worth your money. Anyways, I don’t think you can even buy 7 anymore,
now that CS is out. (I may be wrong on that.) CS has some definite improvements, though the activation policy has turned off alot
of potential consumers. I’m not in any rush to buy it myself, because PS7 does well enough for my needs and doesn’t have the hassle
that CS seems to be. I may wait until the next version before I upgrade again…
R
RTM
Nov 19, 2003
7 has a (ta-daa) Spell Checker.
Otherwise you answered your own question.
If 6 does what you want then there is no need whatsoever to upgrade unless you want to.

Ron.

webgeo99 wrote in message
Ok, what does Photoshop 7 do that 6 doesn’t? Why should I spend my hard earned money to upgrade when everything I need to do can be done in 6?
NS
n8 skow
Nov 19, 2003
Though 6 can open a 7 .psd – if it uses a layer style (such as those you mentioned) the layer will need to be flattened before it is opened in 6…

n8

Healing brush
Patch tool
(both great for removing blemishes without bluring detail. You have to
see it in action to appreciate it.)
Crazy new brush settings. You can do all kinds of effects with the brush
tool now.
Layers in the Liquify tool. Always sucked that only 1 layer at a time
worked before.
Dockable UI. Not a huge benefit, but it can be a helpful. Asset browser
Several new layer/tool blend modes (Pin Light, Vivid Light, Linear Light) Tool Presets tab (At least I think that’s new in 7)
Web transparency
Rollovers (Image Ready)

That’s up to you. If everything you need can be done in 6, then don’t
bother. There’s not really anything absolutely vital. PS6
can open PS7 files, so you don’t need to worry about compatibility with
other users that have bought 7. My recommendation would be
to try out 7 first on somebody else’s machine to see if it’s worth your
money. Anyways, I don’t think you can even buy 7 anymore,
now that CS is out. (I may be wrong on that.) CS has some definite
improvements, though the activation policy has turned off alot
of potential consumers. I’m not in any rush to buy it myself, because PS7
does well enough for my needs and doesn’t have the hassle
that CS seems to be. I may wait until the next version before I upgrade
again…
E
edjh
Nov 20, 2003
n8 skow wrote:

Though 6 can open a 7 .psd – if it uses a layer style (such as those you mentioned) the layer will need to be flattened before it is opened in 6…
n8

Not so. All the Layer Styles from 7 will open in 6 fine. If you use a Blend Mode in 7 that doesn’t exist in 6 it will be ask and substitute Normal Mode on that layer.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
V
vizrosplugins
Nov 20, 2003
You may want to know the difference between 6 and CS.

Tony G. Smith
Vizros – Realistic 3D page curl plug-ins and more
Demo at http://www.vizros.com/gallery.html

"webgeo99" …
H
howldog
Nov 20, 2003
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:27:52 GMT, "Darrel Hoffman" wrote:

Healing brush
Patch tool
(both great for removing blemishes without bluring detail. You have to see it in action to appreciate it.)
Crazy new brush settings. You can do all kinds of effects with the brush tool now. Layers in the Liquify tool. Always sucked that only 1 layer at a time worked before. Dockable UI. Not a huge benefit, but it can be a helpful. Asset browser
Web transparency
Rollovers (Image Ready)

i thought image ready did rollovers in 6?

anyway, nothing in that list interests me very much.

maybe the patch thing…. i’d have to see it.
A
Alberich
Nov 22, 2003
In article <sKNub.8110$>,
says…

Healing brush
Patch tool
Web transparency
Rollovers (Image Ready)

That’s up to you. If everything you need can be done in 6, then don’t bother. There’s not really anything absolutely vital. PS6
can open PS7 files, so you don’t need to worry about compatibility with other users that have bought 7. My recommendation would be
to try out 7 first on somebody else’s machine to see if it’s worth your money. Anyways, I don’t think you can even buy 7 anymore,
now that CS is out. (I may be wrong on that.) CS has some definite improvements, though the activation policy has turned off alot
of potential consumers. I’m not in any rush to buy it myself, because PS7 does well enough for my needs and doesn’t have the hassle
that CS seems to be. I may wait until the next version before I upgrade again…
Explain to me this "activation" business with Photoshop now. How similar is this to the Microsoft Office XP activation technology and what are the gotchas about this version of Photoshop that comes with the activation?
J
Joe
Nov 22, 2003
Alberich wrote:

Explain to me this "activation" business with Photoshop now. How similar is this to the Microsoft Office XP activation technology and what are the gotchas about this version of Photoshop that comes with the activation?

I guess Adobe’s activation is similar to MS WinXP at some degree *but* not exactly the same. Cuz

WinXP depends on hardware (or communicate directly to hardware) when Adobe’s activation does use hardware *but* also depend on Windows. Meaning when WinXP runs into problem the user can restore the old backup, but with it seems like (just guessing) when user restores the old backup of WinXP then it can be the funeral of Photoshop CS (??).

I don’t have Photoshop CS myself to know for sure, but if it stores some information in registry or hard drive then I guess it could be the problem (????????).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections