A
Posted By
angelars
Sep 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We were using Photoshop 6.0 and it never gave us ANY problems at all. Then last month we had to re format our C: drive. Now every time we try to start Photoshop is says that there is not enough memory, but that is incorrect because we have plenty of memory (RAM) and our virtual memory has 96% resources left. RAM has over 60% resources left.

If anything we have more RAM now then when it was working before…

How do we get this error message to go away?

Is this a registry problem?

We tried to reinstall both 5.5 and also 6.0, but they both say the same error πŸ™

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MD
milbut, dave
Sep 30, 2003
virtual memory refers to hard disk space on the drive where you have your ps swap file set up. clean it up and make more space.
A
angelars
Sep 30, 2003
Clean it up? We have over 96% resources left in virtual memory? Only 4% of virtual memory is now being used. How could that be the problem?
CW
Colin_Walls
Sep 30, 2003
What OS are you running?
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 30, 2003
how big is your hard drive where ps’s scratch file is, and how much space is free on it?
L
LenHewitt
Sep 30, 2003
How much free space do you have on yur C:\ drive? Until you can start photoshop and set the scratch disk it will attempt to use the C:\ drive. If you are tight on space there you will get that error message
A
angelars
Sep 30, 2003
OK thanks for the responses. I am running WinME. C: drive has 4 GIGS of free space on it. The drive where Photoshop is has over 5.5 GIGS of free space. I don’t know how to locate the "scatch file" (what do I enter in the search engine) so I can’t tell you how much space is where the scratch file is. Most drives have at least 3 gigs of free space on them.
CB
chris_babson
Sep 30, 2003
Did you ever get resolution to this problem? I have the same problem, only with the 3.0 version. I have a Pentium4 with 1-gig RAM, almost all available, and all of a sudden I can’t open photos because the program says my scratch disk is full. Do you have any idea how to access the scratch disk to remedy this? (what exactly is the scratch disk anyway? available RAM?). Thanks.
A
angelars
Sep 30, 2003
No I’m still PRAYING to find a solution for this. I have 5.5 and 6.0 installed on two different drives, and both of them say the same exact thing πŸ™

A scratch file is like a temp. file where photoshop saves information. I would check either under options or Prefs and see if it’s in there. From what the knowledge base said you only need around 20 MB of space for this to work, and I have over 5.5 GIGS!

I ran scan disk, Norton Disk Doctor, and defraged, but none of them helped get rid of this error. Version 5.5 was installed fresh last night from the ground up, and it has the same error. I wish I knew why.
CB
chris_babson
Sep 30, 2003
I went into preferences and changed my primary scratch disk to C:. This has allowed me to access and work on photos. This is the good news.

The bad news is that I am now concerned that this will eventually cause even larger, system-wide problems because, after successfully working in PhotoDeluxe for a while, I don’t see any miscelanious files on the C: drive that might be the scratch-disk. so I don’t know where the scratch disk and it’s data actually is. My concern is that it will keep growing, somehow unavailable to me to see, and eventually crash my entire system.

Please let me know if you figure anything out & I’ll do likewise.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 1, 2003
I went into preferences and changed my primary scratch disk to C:. This has allowed me to access and work on photos. This is the good news.

What did you change it from? If you changed it from "startup" that’s the drive you have ps installed on and it’s running low on space. If you changed it from another drive letter (D:\ for example) that’s the drive that’s running low on space.

Perhaps even w/4 gig free there’s a fragmentation issue. Run defrag on the machine (windows explorer> right click the drive> select tools> select Defragment drive).
KV
Klaas_Visser
Oct 1, 2003
Chris,

By changing the scratch disk to C:, you’ve told Photoshop to create its scratch file in the root directory of C:, whenever you start up Photoshop. This file grows and shrinks during your use of Photoshop, and is deleted when you exit Photoshop. The size of the file is completely dependent on what you do you while in Photoshop – size of the original image, history states, number of images open, etc.

The only time you may have an issue, is if Photoshop crashes, and the scratch file is not deleted.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 1, 2003
The only time you may have an issue, is if Photoshop crashes, and the scratch file is not deleted.

and in that case you can delete it manually. it’ll be named somthing random.tmp. like: "~PST8512.tmp"

Strange thing I just noticed. I have my prefs set to "F:\" but the file is actually created in "F:\Temp". Check both the root and the temp directory for any strays. (close photoshop first if it’s running).
KV
Klaas_Visser
Oct 1, 2003
Dave, you’re right, it puts into a Temp folder. I never realised that before …

Chris,

So you have an idea on how the scratch file can grow, I opened a single 175MB TIFF file (16-bit 6000by4000 pixel image), and the initial scratch file was around 200MB. Changed the file to 8-bit, and back again, and then rotated the image 90 degrees. The scratch file is now around 630MB, due to containing the history states.

You should monitor the file size while doing work on some of your images, to see how much space you really need.
B
brandon
Oct 1, 2003
wrote in message news:…
We were using Photoshop 6.0 and it never gave us ANY problems at all. Then last month we had to re format our C: drive. Now every time we try to start Photoshop is says that there is not enough memory, but that is incorrect because we have plenty of memory (RAM) and our virtual memory has 96% resources left. RAM has over 60% resources left.

If anything we have more RAM now then when it was working before…
How do we get this error message to go away?

Is this a registry problem?

We tried to reinstall both 5.5 and also 6.0, but they both say the same error πŸ™
Thanks.

Sounds like you might not have the proper privilages, and therefor the program cannot write to the disk as needed logged in as your user. Im a 2k and xp guru, and dont know anything about ME. Does your particular login have administrator privilages? If no.. make it so.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Oct 1, 2003
Could you fix it?
A
angelars
Oct 2, 2003
Not yet, still won’t load, but I installed the 7.0 trial version and it starts fine, so I at least know that it is a Photoshop file problem, and not a problem with the computer. Just wish I knew how to fix the files.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 2, 2003
did you reset your prefrences angelars?

Mathias Vejerslev "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 2/11/03 1:04pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

and if you already tried, did you get the dialog asking you if you wnat to reset your photoshop settings? if not, you didn’t reset them
A
angelars
Oct 4, 2003
Hi Dave. How can I set anything? It won’t load! I click on the link and I immediately get the erroneous RAM error That’s the problem. The program won’t even start up πŸ™
A
angelars
Oct 4, 2003
Yes I did a search for "Adobe Photoshop 5.5 Prefs.psp" and "Adobe Photoshop 6.0 Prefs.psp" and "Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp" and deleted them all, but it made NO differance. I still get this error message πŸ™
A
angelars
Oct 7, 2003
* bump*
TS
Tim_Spragens
Oct 7, 2003
A wildshot here, how large is the partition where you’ve set your scratch files?
A
angelars
Oct 8, 2003
Hi Tim. Well I didn’t set it so it must still be at the default drive, which I’m guessing is the C: drive. It has a total size of 7.49 Gigs, with a free space of 4.0 gigs. The partition where Photoshop is installed is 7.14 gigs, with 5.41 gigs free.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 8, 2003
Len wasn’t the prefs file a different name in 5.5? or am i thinking 5.0?

dave
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 8, 2003
Dave,

Photoshop 5.0 used an INI file, 5.5 uses PSP.

Angelars,

Dave suggested resetting preferences. You do this while the program loads, not after it loads. There is a procedure in the faq. Did you try it?
A
angelars
Oct 8, 2003
I cannot do that because the program does not load. It does not even try to load. You click on the icon and IMMEDIATLY it says it needs more RAM, even though there is plenty of RAM.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 8, 2003
Find the PSP file per the instructions in the faq. rename it.
L
LenHewitt
Oct 8, 2003
You are thinking of 5.0 Dave, but it IS detailed in the FAQ
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 8, 2003
I cannot do that because the program does not load

The procedure in the faq IS what you do if program won’t load. you either hold the crtl-alt-shift keys while starting the program then saying yes to the dialog box asking you if you want to reset your photoshop settings, or you delete the prefrences file.

here’s the link. follow it.

Mathias Vejerslev "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 2/11/03 1:04pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

note you need to be pretty fast with the key combo (crtl-alt-shift). in my tests, it took me about 5 tries to get the dialog box asking to reset the prefrences.

hth, dave
TS
Tim_Spragens
Oct 8, 2003
note you need to be pretty fast with the key combo (crtl-alt-shift). in my tests, it took me about 5 tries to get the dialog box asking to reset the prefrences.

Having a third hand is very useful here. If you can’t grow one, maybe you can recruit one.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 8, 2003
If you can’t grow one, maybe you can recruit one.

I’ve been trying to recruit one for years – only 20% success rate <grin>.
TS
Tim_Spragens
Oct 8, 2003
Well, one finger would be enough, if well placed.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 8, 2003
TouchΓ©
A
angelars
Oct 9, 2003
Tried reseting the prefs but it didn’t help.

Just so that we are all on the same page, here is the error that it is giving me (however we have plenty of RAM)

<http://www.gct21.net/~angelars/photoshoperror.jpg>
A
angelars
Oct 9, 2003
Renaming and/or deleting the prefs file did not work either πŸ™
A
angelars
Oct 9, 2003
Since renaming the prefs file we are getting a new error on Photoshop 7.0 (trial). You can see it by going here;

<http://www.gct21.net/~angelars/newpe.jpg>

We are still getting the old "ram" error with 5.5 and 6.0 πŸ™
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 9, 2003
vbox error means you voided the trial period somehow. did you refresh your date on your system?

plese describe all hard drives max size and space free. when’s the last time you ran defragment on it/them? the not enough ram error is related closely to hard drive space.

also are you an administrator on the machine or set up as a user account?
A
angelars
Oct 10, 2003
We got the vbox error when we renamed the prefs file, so I guess we don’t get to see how Photoshop 7.0 works πŸ™

We have only one hard drive. It is partitioned into six partitions (plus C: with WinME).

C:= 7.49 gigs with 4 gigs free.

D:= 9.53 gigs with 4.34 free.

E:= 7.98 gigs with 1.0 gigs free.

F:= 6.32 gigs with 2.5 gigs free.

G:= 7.98 gigs with 3.77 free.

H:= 7.98 gigs with 4.06 gigs free Photoshop 5.5 installed on this drive).

I:= 6.13 gigs with 4.41 gigs free (Photoshop 6.0 installed on this drive).

J: is a Primamry partition reserved for Win 2000.

We have tried to install Photoshop on most of the drives, and every time it comes back with the same erroneous error message shown above.

We run scan disk and defrag everyday on all drives.
A
angelars
Oct 11, 2003
* bump*

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections