bagal
Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
might it be the caps lock key?

"Pixmaker" wrote in message
I’m learning Photoshop…slowly but steadily. Sometimes it seems it’s easier to research and learn about a particularly difficult procedure than to solve the "little" problems.

I find it’s sort nof like learning a language…it’s the little words tha getcha!

The eyedropper icon has disappeared! Now, all I seem to get is the small "gunsight". I don’t know how it happened but sure would like to know. For sure, I did something.

When I rebooted, it came back normally…biut that’s a li’l drastic and a time-wasting way to solve the problem. Plowing through my four PS books has yielded nothing; probably because I wasn’t looking in the right place!

Can someone please tell me what I must have done…and how to toggle it off and on?

Many thanks

DaveinFLL
==========================
It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity!
(..Think the humidity’s bad?
You should watch us vote!)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

T
tacitr
Jul 15, 2004
The eyedropper icon has disappeared!

Look closely at the icons in the toolbar. Many of them have a little tiny triangle in the lower right corner.

If you click on one of these tools, and hold the mouse button down, more tools will pop out. The toolbar only shows you a fraction of all the tools at any one time.

To get your eyedropper back, click and hold on the color sampler tool (the crosshair).

This is illustrated on the toolbar reference card that came in the box with your copy of Photoshop.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
P
pixmaker
Jul 15, 2004
I’m learning Photoshop…slowly but steadily. Sometimes it seems it’s easier to research and learn about a particularly difficult procedure than to solve the "little" problems.

I find it’s sort nof like learning a language…it’s the little words tha getcha!

The eyedropper icon has disappeared! Now, all I seem to get is the small "gunsight". I don’t know how it happened but sure would like to know. For sure, I did something.

When I rebooted, it came back normally…biut that’s a li’l drastic and a time-wasting way to solve the problem. Plowing through my four PS books has yielded nothing; probably because I wasn’t looking in the right place!

Can someone please tell me what I must have done…and how to toggle it off and on?

Many thanks

DaveinFLL
N
noone
Jul 15, 2004
In article ,
says…
The eyedropper icon has disappeared!

Look closely at the icons in the toolbar. Many of them have a little tiny triangle in the lower right corner.

If you click on one of these tools, and hold the mouse button down, more
tools
will pop out. The toolbar only shows you a fraction of all the tools at any
one
time.

To get your eyedropper back, click and hold on the color sampler tool (the crosshair).

This is illustrated on the toolbar reference card that came in the box with your copy of Photoshop.

A side note: with the US-English CS Premium (I think that is what the full suite is called), there is no manual, nor is there a reference card, only the disks and some minor service material, with the exception of Acrobat, which does have a tiny pamplet. The CS manuals are available for about US$60, but that nice little card is not included – how I miss the "good ole’ days."

Hunt
O
Odysseus
Jul 15, 2004
In article <_niJc.948$>,
"Arte Phacting" wrote:

That would explain the cursor seeming to be ‘stuck’ as a cross-hair target, but the OP is talking about the icon in the toolbar. I believe Tacit’s suggestion is the most likely solution.

Odysseus
B
bagal
Jul 15, 2004
shucks <blush>

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I am aware of the "flyout" action when I click and hold on any icon with a small triangle. That didn’t do the trick.

The WINNER IS…

Arte Phacting. Yes, the caps lock key toggles the eyedropper between the dropper icon and the gunsight.

In fact, the caps key will toggle most of the tool icons off or on. It’s a convenient thing to know when the larger icon may simply "get in the way" of what you’re doing.

Thank you!

DaveinFLL
P
pixmaker
Jul 15, 2004
Many thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I am aware of the "flyout" action when I click and hold on any icon with a small triangle. That didn’t do the trick.

The WINNER IS…

Arte Phacting. Yes, the caps lock key toggles the eyedropper between the dropper icon and the gunsight.

In fact, the caps key will toggle most of the tool icons off or on. It’s a convenient thing to know when the larger icon may simply "get in the way" of what you’re doing.

Thank you!

DaveinFLL
O
Odysseus
Jul 16, 2004
In article ,
Odysseus wrote:

In article <_niJc.948$>,
"Arte Phacting" wrote:

That would explain the cursor seeming to be ‘stuck’ as a cross-hair target, but the OP is talking about the icon in the toolbar. I believe Tacit’s suggestion is the most likely solution.

Well, I see now that both Tacit and I misunderstood the question — it must have been the OP’s reference to the "icon" rather than the "cursor" that made us think of the toolbar.

Odysseus
B
bagal
Jul 17, 2004
oink?
pass me the hammer?

heh heh heh

Artie

ps – maybe not "good" just sad?

A

Sorry about any confusion…I’m usually more careful than that.
You are correct. I was referring to the eyedropper outline that appears on the cursor, not the icon in the toolbox.

And, yes, the caps lock key toggles the cursor between the dropper outline and the "gunsight."

Wow, you guys are good!

Somewhere, recently, I ran across a cute sig. It was something like, "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a while, you learn that the pig likes it."

DaveinFLL
P
pixmaker
Jul 17, 2004
Sorry about any confusion…I’m usually more careful than that.

You are correct. I was referring to the eyedropper outline that appears on the cursor, not the icon in the toolbox.

And, yes, the caps lock key toggles the cursor between the dropper outline and the "gunsight."

Wow, you guys are good!

Somewhere, recently, I ran across a cute sig. It was something like, "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a while, you learn that the pig likes it."

DaveinFLL

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections