SO
Posted By
Surfin Outlaw
Sep 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK. I thought I did my homework on the topic, but still am at a loss as to how to correct the problem.

I am running PS 6.0 on XP. I began getting Disk Error-36 about a month ago. Suspecting that the HD that I was using for scratch was getting too full, I added a 120 GB drive to my system and changed scratch preferences accordingly. Things seemed to be OK for a while. Now I can’t even do a file save after editing a large file (~400Mb) without the disk error message.

Per the many threads on the subject, and adobe’s knowledge base information, I tried the following actions:

Decreased PS RAM usage to 65% from 82% – No change
Changed Virtual memory up and down – no change
Defraged all drives – No change
Disabled Norton AV –No change
Reallocated scratch disk allocations (among the 3 drives) – no change Deleted and rebuilt PS’s Preferences file – no change

System specs:
Processor: P4 2 GHz
RAM: 512 MB
System drive: 80 GB, 60GB free
Drive 2, data and scratch, 120GB, 70 GB free
Drive 3, 40 GB, 3 GB free

File info:

~400 Mb RGB PS file: Drum scan with one levels layer.

Help! I need to get this stuff to a publisher Sunday…

Thanks! Surfin-O

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 26, 2003
Why are you suspecting that the scratch disk has anything to do with it? Is there a message indicating anything about the scratch disk specifically?

Error 36 generally refers to bad data file information, sometimes I/O issues. That would point to your hard drive having a problem.

Now I can’t even do a file save after editing a large file (~400Mb) without the disk error message.

Where are you saving it? The brand new HD?
SO
Surfin Outlaw
Sep 26, 2003
The message indicates that the scratch disk is full or cannot be written to – Disk error-36. It occurs when saving to ANY of the 3 drives I mentioned.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 26, 2003
Ah. Gotcha.

Hmmm… I’d bet it’s and I/O issue. Do you have a scsi card installed? Do you have a pen/tablet? Did you install all your HD’s yourself? I know it may sound wierd, but are you sure about the cabling? What MB do you have?

You might be thinking that I’m out of my mind, and you might be right. But there are NO other commercial applications that stress a system as much as photoshop does. What that means to you and me is that if there’s a problem, you’ll find it using PS.

I could be off base, but based on a year and a half in this forum, if it were my system, that’s where I’d look.
L
LenHewitt
Sep 26, 2003
Surfin,

1) Renew your drive cables
2) It could be a drive controller problem
SO
Surfin Outlaw
Sep 26, 2003
Actually, I was thinking along the same lines, i.e. IO problem. My app and scratch drives are on the same IDE cable, attached to the motherboard. My 3rd drive is on its own SCSI card in a PCI slot.

Yes, I put the drives in myself, but I have done this many times in the past. Regardless, this IO is looking suspect.

Thanks,

Surfin’

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections