Posted By
dmegyesi
Jul 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings,

I just bought a new digital camera and used it on my wonderful trip to NYC. I bought a Sony Memory Gate stick and took close to 200 pictures at 5.1 mega pixels in size. The pictures look great. HOWEVER, when I downloaded them to my computer and pull them up in PhotoShop 7.0 they ARE FIGGIN MASSIVE. Although I can manually resize them all to 4×6 size, it is going to take me a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong friggin time to do this for 200+ pictures.

Since all the pictures are exactly the same size, there has to be a way to resize all the pictures at once to the 4×6 size. My question is, how do I do a bulk (or batch) resize operation on ALL the pictures in my ImageTransfer folder (the folder the pictures get downloaded to)? The ‘Help’ guide speaks of a ‘File – Automate – Batch’ tool. I looked at it, but it looks too confusing. Is there an EASY way to do this? I assume there must be because this is a common problem more and more frequent with today’s HUGE memory stick sizes.

Help.
Derek

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

HL
Harry Limey
Jul 6, 2004
The easiest way to do anything like this is by using the free utility Irfanview – the only thing I would suggest is that until you get used to batch resizing with Irfanview always go for the option to create duplicates (just in case!)
Harry

"MegaC" wrote in message
Greetings,

I just bought a new digital camera and used it on my wonderful trip to NYC. I bought a Sony Memory Gate stick and took close to 200 pictures at 5.1 mega pixels in size. The pictures look great. HOWEVER, when I downloaded them to my computer and pull them up in PhotoShop 7.0 they ARE FIGGIN MASSIVE. Although I can manually resize them all to 4×6 size, it is going to take me a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong friggin time to do this for 200+ pictures.

Since all the pictures are exactly the same size, there has to be a way to resize all the pictures at once to the 4×6 size. My question is, how do I do a bulk (or batch) resize operation on ALL the pictures in my ImageTransfer folder (the folder the pictures get downloaded to)? The ‘Help’ guide speaks of a ‘File – Automate – Batch’ tool. I looked at it, but it looks too confusing. Is there an EASY way to do this? I assume there must be because this is a common problem more and more frequent with today’s HUGE memory stick sizes.

Help.
Derek
J
JJS
Jul 6, 2004
"MegaC" wrote in message
Greetings,

It’s a routine thing and there are a few ways to do it.

One is to use the File->Automate->Web Gallery and tell it to resize your pictures to 4×6 (288×432 pixels), then throw away everything but the Images folder. 🙂 Cheap and easy.

Another is to open your Actions window. Open any file. Press ‘new action’ icon, then take File->Automate->Fit Image. Type in the dimensions (288×432 pixels), then press the Stop button in Actions. Now you have a neat action. Next just take Automate->Batch and use that action against a whole folder of your images.
JM
John McWilliams
Jul 7, 2004
jjs wrote:

"MegaC" wrote in message

Greetings,

One is to use the File->Automate->Web Gallery and tell it to resize your pictures to 4×6 (288×432 pixels), then throw away everything but the Images folder. 🙂 Cheap and easy.

Another is to open your Actions window. Open any file. Press ‘new action’ icon, then take File->Automate->Fit Image. Type in the dimensions (288×432 pixels), then press the Stop button in Actions. Now you have a neat action. Next just take Automate->Batch and use that action against a whole folder of your images.
Well, that’s fine if the OP is merely going to E-mail them or put them on a web site. If printing is planned, however, he’ll need a lot more pixels.

Mega-

Is storage a problem? If you can keep the originals (after culling) so much the better.

John McWilliams
J
JJS
Jul 7, 2004
"John McWilliams" wrote in message

One is to use the File->Automate->Web Gallery and tell it to resize your pictures to 4×6 (288×432 pixels), then throw away everything but the
Images
folder. 🙂 Cheap and easy.

Another is to open your Actions window. Open any file. Press ‘new
action’
icon, then take File->Automate->Fit Image. Type in the dimensions
(288×432
pixels), then press the Stop button in Actions. Now you have a neat
action.
Next just take Automate->Batch and use that action against a whole
folder of
your images.
Well, that’s fine if the OP is merely going to E-mail them or put them on a web site. If printing is planned, however, he’ll need a lot more pixels.

Indeed. If printing is his goal, he should have mentioned it. So, back to the OP – what’s the goal here?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections