Will Photoshop CS run on Windows 2003 Server?

T
Posted By
tbq
Nov 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As I have a relatively unused box with 2003 Server installed, I’m wondering if the new Photoshop CS would run on this machine?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MM
Major Malfunction
Nov 12, 2003
"TBQ" wrote in message
As I have a relatively unused box with 2003 Server installed, I’m wondering if the new Photoshop CS would run on this machine?

No reason it should not . . . if you’re willing to pay the performance penalty. Is this a home network or business and what is the server doing? If it is a file server or handles authentication only, you should be alright. If it’s a database server or web server with a heavy load, I sure would not do it! If it’s a business, have the company (or you) spring for a dedicated workstation.

I use my Win2K server as a workstation as it handles authentication, file server needs and is a print server for a home network. Maximum is five users at once and most server tasks are transient: authentication, print and file serving. Brief specs are 1 Gig RAM and a single 2.8 GHz-P4. Once my home business builds a little more, I’m planning on adding a dedicated workstation so I can separate these functions.
N
ntt
Nov 13, 2003
Thanks for the input.

Actually it’s a dual 1.1 GHz w/ 1GB RAM and 3 SCSI HDs. It was "left over" when we moved to a new rack based system. Was going to sell it, but decided to stick it in my home office and use it to manage my digital images. Makes sense to use use it for PS if there are no issues.

"Major Malfunction" …
"TBQ" wrote in message

No reason it should not . . . if you’re willing to pay the performance penalty. Is this a home network or business and what is the server doing? If it is a file server or handles authentication only, you should be alright. If it’s a database server or web server with a heavy load, I sure would not do it! If it’s a business, have the company (or you) spring for a dedicated workstation.

I use my Win2K server as a workstation as it handles authentication, file server needs and is a print server for a home network. Maximum is five users at once and most server tasks are transient: authentication, print and file serving. Brief specs are 1 Gig RAM and a single 2.8 GHz-P4. Once my home business builds a little more, I’m planning on adding a dedicated workstation so I can separate these functions.
MM
Major Malfunction
Nov 14, 2003
"Tim" wrote in message
Thanks for the input.

Actually it’s a dual 1.1 GHz w/ 1GB RAM and 3 SCSI HDs. It was "left over" when we moved to a new rack based system. Was going to sell it, but decided to stick it in my home office and use it to manage my digital images. Makes sense to use use it for PS if there are no issues.
Quite a nice system. Unless you really need the server OS, though, I’d scrap it in favor of a reliable desktop OS. If it’s a standalone server, there should be no performance issues, but if it is connected to the Internet, there are viri and other nasties that target server OS. That’s my only reason to suggest wiping the Windows 2003 Server. Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro both support dual processors without any problems.

Good luck!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections