TP
Posted By
Terry Pinnell
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any Corel Photo House users here please?

I’m a registered user (version 3.00.199) and I’m using it today for first time in a year or so, to try to make a simple image transparent, for use on a web page. The image is just black text and a few black lines on white backgound. I dusted off CPH as I found PaintShop Pro (v7 or v8) non-intuitive, and as I’m in a hurry I wanted a no-brainer.

On the face of it, that’s what CPH appears to be. With my GIF in view, I choose Set Transparency and then click Remove Colour (to remove a single colour, in my case white). That’s where I’m baffled; the white background immediately then turns GREY! So I cannot use the ‘Choose a color’ eye-dropper tool to select white. There *is* no white in the image now.

Has to be something *very* fundamental…

Hope someone can help please.

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

K
Kingdom
Jul 2, 2004
Terry Pinnell wrote in
news::

I’m a registered user (version 3.00.199) and I’m using it today for first time in a year or so, to try to make a simple image transparent, for use on a web page. The image is just black text and a few black lines on white backgound. I dusted off CPH as I found PaintShop Pro (v7 or v8) non-intuitive, and as I’m in a hurry I wanted a no-brainer.
On the face of it, that’s what CPH appears to be. With my GIF in view, I choose Set Transparency and then click Remove Colour (to remove a single colour, in my case white). That’s where I’m baffled; the white background immediately then turns GREY! So I cannot use the ‘Choose a color’ eye-dropper tool to select white. There *is* no white in the image now.

Errr this is a Photoshop group! Now if you were using Photoshop…

Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
TP
Terry Pinnell
Jul 2, 2004
Kingdom wrote:

Hence the ‘[OT]’. I’m hoping that, in such a busy group, there might be someone with CPH know-how too.

Terry, West Sussex, UK
EG
Eric Gill
Jul 2, 2004
Terry Pinnell wrote in
news::

Kingdom wrote:

Hence the ‘[OT]’. I’m hoping that, in such a busy group, there might be someone with CPH know-how too.

Call me crazy, but I’d think you might have better results in one of the numerous Corel groups.

Just sayin’.
R
Rick
Jul 2, 2004
"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message

Most graphic programs use a color "placeholder" for transparency. Sounds like CPH uses gray. Preview the image and see if your transparency is in fact transparent.

Rick
TP
Terry Pinnell
Jul 4, 2004
"Rick" wrote:

Most graphic programs use a color "placeholder" for transparency. Sounds like CPH uses gray. Preview the image and see if your transparency is in fact transparent.

It’s probably turning gray to indicate that it now understands the colour to be transparent. Did you try and see what happens?

Thanks, Rick, that turned out to be so! I had not tried it on a web page, but when I did so I found the transparency had been created.

Must say I find the UI a bit odd though. And, unless I’ve missed something else, misleading too. Under Transparency I see ‘None’ is checked. Yet that image does have a transparent white background, which shows when opened in PSP or placed on web page. (And in CPH if file is closed and reopened.)

However, the good news is that I finally discovered why I’d been making heavy weather of it in Paint Shop Pro, so now don’t need to use CPH.

Terry, West Sussex, UK
R
RSD99
Jul 4, 2004
I think you want
news:corel.graphic_apps.printhouse-photohouse

I hope I’ve spelled that correctly … at any rate, Corel has its own NNTP server and a rather complete series of newsgroups to support their products. If the above link does not work, try their web interface at

http://support.corel.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduse r/std_adp.php?p_faqid=754345

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections