PE
Posted By
phoney.email
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d like to calibrate my notebook LCD screen so my edits are meaningful i.e. I don’t mistake monitor introduced image problems for genuine image problems. Two points to keep in mind:
– I’m not a pro and don’t know much about profiling.
– I don’t care for printing, it’s strictly display.
– make that three points: Windows 98 here with PS 6

"Adobe Gamma Loader.exe" doesn’t run. I don’t even have an entry in "Startup" for it.

However, Control Panel Adobe Gamma does run and that’s what I intend to use as follows:

1. Calibrate white point of my digital camera (Nikon 950).
2. Take a pic of a known object e.g. my room, or even an IT8 profile
from a magazine – remember, I’m not a pro… 😉
3. Load this image into Photoshop
4. Twiddle Control Panel Gamma until the image "looks right" i.e. is the same as either my room or the aforementioned IT8 target in the magazine…

"Twiddle" is a technical term ;o) defined as:
– adjusting the three RGB gamma sliders
– adjusting the numerical gamma (now at 2.2 default setting) – adjusting the white point settings

My questions are as follows:

1. Any general comments on the above procedure?

2. Do I care about the phosphors settings? It’s an LCD screen, so I shouldn’t, really. If I use "Custom" what are the RGB xy values for white point I need to enter?

3. What are the White Point settings "Hardware" and "Adjusted" all about? Any hints what to use (currently "daylight" and "same as hardware")?

4. Finally, in "Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Color Management", do I need to set above generated profile as default? (This doesn’t seem to affect the display!?)

If you managed to get this far, thanks in advance! ;o)

Don.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections