Jun 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I read of font problem here now and then,
has anyone encountered this one?

On my Windows XP Pro box:
evidentally I have a corrupt font in the Winvows\Font folder or, a corrupt font folder.
Each time I try to open that folder The System explorer crashes and must shut down.
(The Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down you will lose any unsaved data)

I can use the Explorer and toggle past the font folder and get to the ATM folder, inside of the system font folder, which I can open and keep cleaned out quite well.
After one of these crashes,
my ATM reports a crapload of fonts that must be in that Windows\font folder. I disable them and go on my merry way.

This font problem seems to be causing a group of "slowness" problems (unless it is being caused by something else)
The worst of the problems is that
Acrobat Distiller will take over 8 minutes to launch.
Once it finally launches, it works fine
but locks up after its task , if I try to leave it running (minimized – or not).
Acrobat has been installed – uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times with no change.

Does anyone know of a method for me to get into that system font folder so I can clean it out?
With the install disk – can I just install a new font folder which will replace the existing folder and the delete non-system fonts along with it?

On the Mac – I have never had to uninstall or re-install anything including the system.
It it usual on the PC to have to wipe the drive
and reinstall the system and applications on a regular basis?

Thanks for any information,
MSD

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EG
Eric Gill
Jun 27, 2004
WharfRat wrote in
news:BD0444D9.18C47%:

evidentally I have a corrupt font in the Winvows\Font folder or, a corrupt font folder.
Each time I try to open that folder The System explorer crashes and must shut down.

Get a copy of TweakUI and use it to repair the font folder.

This may or may not be a problem with a particular font. Whatever the case, when you fix it, clean your system font folder down to the basic required typefaces, make sure ATM is a version certified to work with WinXP, and don’t install any more typefaces in that folder.

On the Mac – I have never had to uninstall or re-install anything including the system.

You’ve been lucky. One of the first OSX problems I encountered was a corrupt font.

No. I have not done so for two years, and that was because of a motherboard swap that required it.
N
noone
Jun 27, 2004
In article <BD0444D9.18C47%>,
says…

(The Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down you will lose any unsaved data)

I can use the Explorer and toggle past the font folder and get to the ATM folder, inside of the system font folder, which I can open and keep cleaned out quite well.
my ATM reports a crapload of fonts that must be in that Windows\font folder. I disable them and go on my merry way.

This font problem seems to be causing a group of "slowness" problems (unless it is being caused by something else)
but locks up after its task , if I try to leave it running (minimized – or not).
Acrobat has been installed – uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times with no change.

Does anyone know of a method for me to get into that system font folder so I can clean it out?
With the install disk – can I just install a new font folder which will replace the existing folder and the delete non-system fonts along with it?

MSD

If there is corruption in the font folder, you might have success by running a disk utility such as Norton Disk Doctor. If it encounters corrupt files ( certain types of corruption, that is, and especially cross-linking), it can often repair them, or delete just the files that are causing problems.

Another thought would be to do a system backup, especially before you re- install, or uninstall the fonts. You could then experiment with a Restore of certain files, say 5 at a time, until you hit the snag. I do not know if XP will allow the removal of "system files" from the Command Prompt, but that might be a way to eliminate the offending file(s) from your system.

Hunt
HL
Harry Limey
Jun 27, 2004
You could try renaming the fonts folder – then creating a new fonts folder and copying the fonts from a friend who has XP and placing them in your new fonts folder!!
If that works you can then delete the old (renamed) fonts folder – I just checked out my XP font folder and it is 13.3 mb.
Harry

"WharfRat" wrote in message

my ATM reports a crapload of fonts that must be in that Windows\font
folder.
I disable them and go on my merry way.

MSD

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections