Replies
Status
Closed
I’m just not comfortable
with this design I currently have"
I can understand that… yikes!

a picture is 1000 words."
Well, the one you have is actually only five words worth: "I SUCK THE BIG ONE"

I’m after someone to do a freebie for this…
Keep looking… somewhere else…

it has to rock, maybe
a small initial and you’ll get billions of impressions if its good."
Say again?

???

Pepe
Milano, Italy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

A
American
Nov 7, 2003
"Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio" wrote in message

"I SUCK THE BIG ONE"

I knew that.

Do you pucker up to anal too?

Death to the christian military.
R
Rabid
Nov 7, 2003
"|-|erc" wrote in message
I’ve tried some artwork and I’m just not comfortable
with this design I currently have, I can’t put my finger on it

Hmmm, there’s something not quite perfect about it, you’re right. Apart from absolutely bloody awful crap it’s really quite good.

maybe you can see for yourself, I do apologise for posting a graphic, especially this one, but a picture is 1000 words.

Where did you see the word ‘binaries’ in the name of either of the NGs you posted to?
S
SpaceGirl
Nov 7, 2003
You are also aware that you are breaching the rules of USENET by attaching a graphic on a non-binary newsgroup? The vast majority of news servers will simply delete your post before anyone reads it…

I just installed a banner swap site at TheBanner.Net
I have high hopes but there’s one thing and one thing only that will make the place go! its the 1 in 10 banners it displays to promote itself. It has to be dynamite, now
with this design I currently have, I can’t put my finger on it maybe you can see for yourself, I do apologise for posting a graphic, especially this one, but a picture is 1000 words.
Being a banner exchange all about people helping people out I’m after someone to do a freebie for this… it has to rock, maybe a small initial and you’ll get billions of impressions if its good.
Thanks let me know if interested. You can use the site now if you like I don’t have the main screen up but www.thebanner.net/join.php will generate the html code you need after signing up.
Herc

G
Gary
Nov 7, 2003
In article <e3Jqb.167$>,
"|-|erc" wrote:

I just installed a banner swap site at TheBanner.Net
I have high hopes but there’s one thing and one thing only that will make the place go! its the 1 in 10 banners it displays to promote itself. It has to be dynamite, now
with this design I currently have, I can’t put my finger on it maybe you can see for yourself, I do apologise for posting a graphic, especially this one, but a picture is 1000 words.
Being a banner exchange all about people helping people out I’m after someone to do a freebie for this… it has to rock, maybe a small initial and you’ll get billions of impressions if its good.
Thanks let me know if interested. You can use the site now if you like I don’t have the main screen up but www.thebanner.net/join.php will generate the html code you need after signing up.
Herc

begin 666 thebanner.gif

It is awful indeed-even worse than you think. And you are wise to come to a news group visited mostly by working pros for a "freebie." Still, I would be delighted to redo this for you on a trade-out basis. Do you have the skills to clean out a holding tank on a sailboat with an ice cream scoop and a toothbrush?

Gary
S
SpaceGirl
Nov 7, 2003
"SpaceGirl" wrote
You are also aware that you are breaching the rules of USENET by
attaching a
graphic on a non-binary newsgroup? The vast majority of news servers
will
simply delete your post before anyone reads it…

Think of it as serendipity, as for the other question, free-banner.com has
sites signed up, just checked alexa 11,063, but that’s nothing compared
the
# of impressions of banners they get across their network. and they give a
2:1
ratio so 1/3 of the banners displayed are their own, that’s over 1 million a day, most of them would promote the site itself with something like
"show your
banner here". So if someone wants to do it for theBanner.net I’ll keep
any small
signature on the design. this one is a good basic idea…
Herc

Hm and what percentage of these banners result in click-throughs and purchases, I wonder? I wonder how many people equally get a "bad impression" of a company because of banners all over the place?
I
introducing
Nov 8, 2003
"SpaceGirl" wrote >
"SpaceGirl" wrote
You are also aware that you are breaching the rules of USENET by
attaching a
graphic on a non-binary newsgroup? The vast majority of news servers
will
simply delete your post before anyone reads it…

Think of it as serendipity, as for the other question, free-banner.com has
sites signed up, just checked alexa 11,063, but that’s nothing compared
the
# of impressions of banners they get across their network. and they give a
2:1
ratio so 1/3 of the banners displayed are their own, that’s over 1 million a day, most of them would promote the site itself with something like
"show your
banner here". So if someone wants to do it for theBanner.net I’ll keep
any small
signature on the design. this one is a good basic idea…
Herc

Hm and what percentage of these banners result in click-throughs and purchases, I wonder? I wonder how many people equally get a "bad impression" of a company because of banners all over the place?

1% is typical for CTR (click through rate), 3% is high but that’s for each banner on a page, and 1% also for purchases (conversion), though conversion varies a bit. About 10,000 impressions is one sale! that’s why most startups don’t get anywhere they don’t factor in the targeting. Banner swapping isn’t just for business, I just got my forum, numerology site and chess program all showing each others banners until some others sign up. chess is the highest at 100 visits a day so when the ‘credits’ on the other sites run out it shows the dreaded blue ‘join thebanner.net’! It was just a test graphic cmon! not filling in the holes in the e’s…

Amazon got where it is with affiliate programs, similar idea but they can approve the websites. Big businesses might be precarious where their logo ended up, but if you don’t have much reach any publicity is good publicity 🙂 I have to approve new members aswell. Anyway I’ve got 2 days coding on the main site to do so if anyone can help out I’ll check back here then, when (if) I start getting a million impressions a day you can have a month of free ads.

Herc
MV
Matti Vuori
Nov 8, 2003
"|-|erc" wrote in
news:4ZTqb.304$:
"SpaceGirl" wrote
You are also aware that you are breaching the rules of USENET by attaching a graphic on a non-binary newsgroup? The vast majority of news servers will simply delete your post before anyone reads it…

Think of it as serendipity,

Attachments are not forbidden because they are often deleted, but because they… well, because they are forbidden (other than in binary newssgroups), for many very good reasons. Your ignorance of Usenet rules could have been thought as just that, but now it is called abuse.

Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>
S
Stephan
Nov 8, 2003
oh boo hoo, he’s got exhibit B, yes it looks like he’s contacting the isp
now…
wait … is he…. will he…. he’s been abused he’s not standing for it,
good for you
young chump, check out my latest www.r-i-n-g.com
You are the kind of guy we love here.
Is there anything else we can help you with?
Go on ask all the questions you want.

Stephan
I
introducing
Nov 8, 2003
"Stephan" wrote > >
now…
good for you

I’ll come back next century when there’s some artists available.

Herc
NF
Nathaniel Flick
Nov 9, 2003
Hey Herc, if we are not artists, then what aren’t you? Eh?

Bass is Key

Nathaniel
please reply to: nat at flikworld(dot)com

in article Tafrb.604$, |-|erc at
wrote on 11/8/03 3:44 PM:

"Stephan" wrote > >
now…
good for you

I’ll come back next century when there’s some artists available.
Herc

I
introducing
Nov 9, 2003
"Nathaniel Flick" wrote in
Bass is Key

maybe you are, some nice stuff on the few plugs I’ve seen, but I said available artists… anyway I patched my own graphic together, see I might get 2% Click Through Rate with it, if one of you tried I’d get 3%. Now imagine you’re getting 2% interest on an inheritence compounded, how many years to make a million? Then how many years with 3% compounded? Its like 100 years VS 1000 years. Same with thebanner.net logo, since a member increases the advertising base it compounds, so instead of millionaire at 32 I’ll be millionaire at 35! That’s cutting it fine!

Herc
DH
Don Harris
Nov 9, 2003
I sincerely hope you’re not relying on banner ad click-throughs to make you a millionaire.
thedon

Bass is Key

maybe you are, some nice stuff on the few plugs I’ve seen, but I said
available artists…
anyway I patched my own graphic together, see I might get 2% Click Through
Rate with it,
if one of you tried I’d get 3%. Now imagine you’re getting 2% interest on
an inheritence
compounded, how many years to make a million? Then how many years with 3%
compounded?
Its like 100 years VS 1000 years. Same with thebanner.net logo, since a
increases the advertising base it compounds, so instead of millionaire at
32 I’ll be
millionaire at 35! That’s cutting it fine!

Herc

FD
Fred Doyle
Nov 9, 2003
"|-|erc" wrote
so instead of millionaire at 32 I’ll be

"Don Harris" wrote in message
I sincerely hope you’re not relying on banner ad click-throughs to make
you
a millionaire.

Too true.

This thread got me thinking about banner swapping as a viable way to build traffic and potentially sales. Does anyone have any experience tracking this on their own sites? Any real numbers to go by? How have banner exchanges worked as a marketing technique and strategy for you? Do banner exchanges really improve traffic and/or sales in a marked way? Do they improve SE ranking or page relevance rankings as the result of increasing incoming links. (not sure about this because if the banner that is delivered rotates, it is only luck that a search engine spider would see it).

By his own numbers, his chess site gets 100 visits/day (he needs to improve traffic, first). I think you can assume a similar rate for most sites in his banner swap as you usually "swap" banners with similarly trafficked sites (otherwise, if you receive substantially more traffic than all the other sites in the exchange, you should charge for advertising) .

At an average CTR of 1%, that means 1 click through per day, IF every visitor sees his banner on the sites he has in his exchange. This is not likely if it is a rotating banner exchange.

He says conversion rate on the click-throughs is 1%. That means he makes at most, one "sale" every 100 days, or 3.5 per year for each "banner" out there. If there are ten sites exchanging banners, that is 9 x 3.5, or about 32 sales as a result of banners per year. You figure out your profit you need to be making on each sale to make a living, let alone become a millionaire.

Of course this doesn’t take into account increased name recognition, improved search engine ranking as a result of incoming page links, etc, all of which should improve traffic and sales. Anybody got any real results, numbers or stories from their experiences with banner exchanges?

Fred Doyle
www.leafpublishing.com
so instead of millionaire at 32 I’ll be millionaire at 35! That’s cutting
it fine!
I admire you. You’re a *real* optimist!
🙂

you
a millionaire.
What is a man without a dream, Don?

🙂

Pepe
Milano, Italy
G
Gary
Nov 9, 2003
In article <bPjrb.749$>,
"|-|erc" wrote:

Bass is Key

maybe you are, some nice stuff on the few plugs I’ve seen, but I said available artists…
anyway I patched my own graphic together, see I might get 2% Click Through Rate with it,
if one of you tried I’d get 3%. Now imagine you’re getting 2% interest on an inheritence
compounded, how many years to make a million? Then how many years with 3% compounded?
Its like 100 years VS 1000 years. Same with thebanner.net logo, since a member
increases the advertising base it compounds, so instead of millionaire at 32 I’ll be

Herc

Yeah,

Those click thrus really bring in the cash. Heck, you’ll need a fleet of trucks just to cart it all to the bank.
H
Hecate
Nov 10, 2003
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 09:09:33 -0500, "Don Harris" wrote:

I sincerely hope you’re not relying on banner ad click-throughs to make you a millionaire.
thedon
He obviously doesn’t realise that click throughs have been dropping like a stone as well. People hate banners and research has found that people have got so used to them they don’t even see them anymore, much less click them 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
H
Hecate
Nov 10, 2003
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 14:40:12 GMT, "Fred Doyle" wrote:

"|-|erc" wrote

"Don Harris" wrote in message
you
a millionaire.

Too true.

This thread got me thinking about banner swapping as a viable way to build traffic and potentially sales. Does anyone have any experience tracking this on their own sites? Any real numbers to go by? How have banner exchanges worked as a marketing technique and strategy for you? Do banner exchanges really improve traffic and/or sales in a marked way? Do they improve SE ranking or page relevance rankings as the result of increasing incoming links. (not sure about this because if the banner that is delivered rotates, it is only luck that a search engine spider would see it).
By his own numbers, his chess site gets 100 visits/day (he needs to improve traffic, first). I think you can assume a similar rate for most sites in his banner swap as you usually "swap" banners with similarly trafficked sites (otherwise, if you receive substantially more traffic than all the other sites in the exchange, you should charge for advertising) .
At an average CTR of 1%, that means 1 click through per day, IF every visitor sees his banner on the sites he has in his exchange. This is not likely if it is a rotating banner exchange.

He says conversion rate on the click-throughs is 1%. That means he makes at most, one "sale" every 100 days, or 3.5 per year for each "banner" out there. If there are ten sites exchanging banners, that is 9 x 3.5, or about 32 sales as a result of banners per year. You figure out your profit you need to be making on each sale to make a living, let alone become a millionaire.

Of course this doesn’t take into account increased name recognition, improved search engine ranking as a result of incoming page links, etc, all of which should improve traffic and sales. Anybody got any real results, numbers or stories from their experiences with banner exchanges?

The research I saw said that, two years, 20% of visitors to web sites clicked banner ads. And that now that figure is 1%. 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
DH
Don Harris
Nov 10, 2003
There is a difference in simply having a dream and in doing something that can realistically allow you to achieve it. There is nothing wrong with dreaming of being a millionaire… unless you’re not doing anything that can get you there.
thedon

so instead of millionaire at 32 I’ll be millionaire at 35! That’s
cutting
it fine!
🙂

you
a millionaire.

🙂

Pepe
Milano, Italy

J
J-Dogg
Nov 10, 2003
Wow. That’s a superb example of reincorporation, the first rule of comedy. Kudos.
J

"Gary" wrote in message
It is awful indeed-even worse than you think. And you are wise to come to a news group visited mostly by working pros for a "freebie." Still, I would be delighted to redo this for you on a trade-out basis. Do you have the skills to clean out a holding tank on a sailboat with an ice cream scoop and a toothbrush?

Gary
I
introducing
Nov 10, 2003
"Fred Doyle" wrote in
"|-|erc" wrote

"Don Harris" wrote
you
a millionaire.

All commerce relies on advertising, flyinads.com went from nothing to alexa rating of 1,000, the top 1000th site, well over 100,000 visits a day in no time, they must have close to a million subscribers promoting any ad they want all day. I’ve got the next best name to duplicate that with kwikads.com!

Too true.

Add 100 targeted visitors from search engines as a steady base of traffic, also the conversion should be higher since its free to join. Say 2 new members each day from the S.E. there’s posts each week in some newsgroups asking what’s a good banner exchange to use! So after 6 months thats about 400 sites, each showing the join banner 10 times a day, 4,000 impressions say 2 new members a day generated itself. So every 6 months it doubles the number of members :

2004 800
2005 3,200
2006 12,800
2007 51,200
2008 204,800 (where free-banners.com is at)

http://bannerco-op.com/cgi-bin/member/14laws.cgi?dist=banner co

14 Proven Laws of Banner Advertising

Good read!

7 Don’t get hung up on hosting banners on your site for fear that you’ll lose a visitor. Listen, they’re going to leave anyways. If they’re interested in your site they’ll stick with it until their interest is totally satisfied. If not, you’re going to lose them in any event, so you may as well get some mileage out of those visits

Herc
I think I remembered most of the tips on my design : www.thebanner.net/thebanner.jpg
TH
Tomas Holm
Nov 10, 2003
Hey, perhaps he hoped to be a millionaire in liras and he dont know it cant be done anymore…

Sad story really…

/Tomas

There is a difference in simply having a dream and in doing something that can realistically allow you to achieve it. There is nothing wrong with dreaming of being a millionaire… unless you’re not doing anything that can get you there.
thedon

so instead of millionaire at 32 I’ll be millionaire at 35! That’s
cutting
it fine!
🙂

you
a millionaire.

🙂

Pepe
Milano, Italy

–To contact me please mail to tomas dot holm at rodem dot se.–
NF
Nathaniel Flick
Nov 10, 2003
Herc

Let’s just cut to the chase, once again. BANNER ADS ARE NOT EFFECTIVE.

As with any overdone marketing technique, when you oversaturate the market with a message, it gets ignored. There were entire companies dedicated to internet marketing that have gone under because they believed in the brass ring that was CTR. IT DOESN’T EXIST IN THE NUMBERS YOU ARE PROJECTING and has never been an effective advertising tool. Yes, click throughs are trackable, but even those numbers don’t tell you who bought what.

You quote these unsubstantiated figures regarding CTR’s and how you will be a millionaire by 35, but you don’t have any sales figures to back up your claims. The sites that get the most traffic are the ones that have the most to offer. Look at amazon.com. Look at ebay. Two fine examples of "click through" without necessarily needing banner ads. Why do you keep going on about Banner Ads? Stop already!

Nathaniel
or reply to this newsgroup

in article E1Grb.110$, |-|erc at
wrote on 11/9/03 10:17 PM:

"Fred Doyle" wrote in
"|-|erc" wrote

"Don Harris" wrote
you
a millionaire.

All commerce relies on advertising, flyinads.com went from nothing to alexa rating of 1,000, the top 1000th site, well over 100,000 visits a day in no time,
they must have close to a million subscribers promoting any ad they want all day. I’ve got the next best name to duplicate that with kwikads.com!

Too true.

Add 100 targeted visitors from search engines as a steady base of traffic, also
the conversion should be higher since its free to join. Say 2 new members each day
from the S.E. there’s posts each week in some newsgroups asking what’s a good banner exchange to use! So after 6 months thats about 400 sites, each showing the join banner 10 times a day, 4,000 impressions say 2 new members a day generated itself. So every 6 months it doubles the number of members :

2004 800
2005 3,200
2006 12,800
2007 51,200

Good read!

7 Don’t get hung up on hosting banners on your site for fear that you’ll lose a visitor. Listen,
they’re going to leave anyways. If they’re interested in your site they’ll stick with it until
their interest is totally satisfied. If not, you’re going to lose them in any event, so you may as
well get some mileage out of those visits

Herc
I think I remembered most of the tips on my design :
www.thebanner.net/thebanner.jpg

O
OpinionMan
Nov 10, 2003
Good gawd. That sucks!

OM
I
introducing
Nov 11, 2003
"Nathaniel Flick" wrote
Herc

Let’s just cut to the chase, once again. BANNER ADS ARE NOT EFFECTIVE.
As with any overdone marketing technique, when you oversaturate the market with a message, it gets ignored. There were entire companies dedicated to internet marketing that have gone under because they believed in the brass ring that was CTR. IT DOESN’T EXIST IN THE NUMBERS YOU ARE PROJECTING and has never been an effective advertising tool. Yes, click throughs are trackable, but even those numbers don’t tell you who bought what.

This relates to what exactly? Most sites use them, some companies went bust and you don’t know where your paying customer came from? SO

You quote these unsubstantiated figures regarding CTR’s and how you will be a millionaire by 35, but you don’t have any sales figures to back up your claims. The sites that get the most traffic are the ones that have the most to offer. Look at amazon.com. Look at ebay. Two fine examples of "click through" without necessarily needing banner ads. Why do you keep going on about Banner Ads? Stop already!

Stop giving misleading unfounded information, my figures are conservative, 3% CTR came from the Bravenet advertising portfolio, that was for small text ads like google adwords. I got 0.4% CTR on google adwords but that was only paying 5c per click so it featured at the bottom of the list. All those ads on google have to get over 0.4% or they stop getting displayed. One in 100 people click on them its simple as that!

Site Stats for amazon.com:
Traffic Rank for amazon.com: 14
Other sites that link to this site: 273,416

Seems amazon doesn’t mind the odd banner does it?

So why is free-banners.com getting 50,000 hits per day and 150,000 sites showing 25,000,000 impressions per month? Go tell them it doesn’t work!

Banners convert most traffic from 1 unique per day to $1 per year give or take. Get 10,000 uniques per day that’s $10,000 per year, most any site, just with banners, affiliate programs like Amazon. Sites that specialise in selling a product directly are much higher traffic>>dollars since it just relies on conversion rate not CTR. You’re telling me if you had 1000 hits a day you wouldn’t collect $1,000 a year! And that’s conservative! A lot of page views per visit and you could multiply that by 5.

Herc

Nathaniel
or reply to this newsgroup

in article E1Grb.110$, |-|erc at
wrote on 11/9/03 10:17 PM:

"Fred Doyle" wrote in
"|-|erc" wrote

"Don Harris" wrote
you
a millionaire.

All commerce relies on advertising, flyinads.com went from nothing to alexa rating of 1,000, the top 1000th site, well over 100,000 visits a day in no time,
they must have close to a million subscribers promoting any ad they want all day. I’ve got the next best name to duplicate that with kwikads.com!

Too true.

Add 100 targeted visitors from search engines as a steady base of traffic, also
the conversion should be higher since its free to join. Say 2 new members each day
from the S.E. there’s posts each week in some newsgroups asking what’s a good banner exchange to use! So after 6 months thats about 400 sites, each showing the join banner 10 times a day, 4,000 impressions say 2 new members a day generated itself. So every 6 months it doubles the number of members :

2004 800
2005 3,200
2006 12,800
2007 51,200

Good read!

7 Don’t get hung up on hosting banners on your site for fear that you’ll lose a visitor. Listen,
they’re going to leave anyways. If they’re interested in your site they’ll stick with it until
their interest is totally satisfied. If not, you’re going to lose them in any event, so you may as
well get some mileage out of those visits

Herc
I think I remembered most of the tips on my design :
www.thebanner.net/thebanner.jpg
GC
Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio
Nov 11, 2003
Ok, you’re keen on it, I can see. Anyway, now that you have found your way to became a millionaire, so tell me how much you’re willing to pay the designer to create the banners.

I can provide one banner a day for a whole year, and I’ll be only asking for an annual fee of $ 100,000. A contract will be made, 30% upfront, the rest divided in monthly payments.

If you’re interested, I’m just an e-mail away.

Pepe
Milano, Italy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections