Posted By
Ruth
Nov 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry, I just must vent.

I bought Adobe Creative Suite v7 really recently (August). I specifically phoned before I bought it and asked if Adobe were planning on releasing any new versions and was told no.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
timepixdc
Nov 6, 2003
Subject: cs upgrade >> p***ed off
Date: Thu, Nov 6, 2003 10:42 AM

So now we have Creative Suite
and I’m expected to shell out ANOTHER small fortune just to upgrade.

TYou can usually figure on an upgrade to Photoshop every 18 months.
DL
Donald Link
Nov 6, 2003
Sounds like a reason why pirate survive.

"Ruth" wrote in message
Sorry, I just must vent.

I bought Adobe Creative Suite v7 really recently (August). I specifically phoned before I bought it and asked if Adobe were planning on releasing
any
new versions and was told no.
R
Ruth
Nov 7, 2003
yes.
it does make me wonder why i bother, sometimes.
🙁

ruth

"Donald Link" wrote in message
Sounds like a reason why pirate survive.

"Ruth" wrote in message
Sorry, I just must vent.

I bought Adobe Creative Suite v7 really recently (August). I
specifically
phoned before I bought it and asked if Adobe were planning on releasing
any
new versions and was told no.
H
Hecate
Nov 7, 2003
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:42:34 +0000 (UTC), "Ruth" wrote:

Sorry, I just must vent.

I bought Adobe Creative Suite v7 really recently (August). I specifically phoned before I bought it and asked if Adobe were planning on releasing any new versions and was told no. £1000 gone. So now we have Creative Suite and I’m expected to shell out ANOTHER small fortune just to upgrade.
Understand, but you really should have kept up to date with what’s been going on. This new release has been talked about since at least Spring, and it was always going to be a 3rd quarter release.

However, I’d look at it this way, at least you haven’t got to use activation and then spend a lot of time getting drowned in emails when Adobe sells your info to however will buy it.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
R
Ruth
Nov 7, 2003
Understand, but you really should have kept up to date with what’s been going on. This new release has been talked about since at least Spring, and it was always going to be a 3rd quarter release.

you’re right.
i am definitely guilty of not keeping up to date.
but i’d have thought phoning up adobe woulda been enough to find out if there was a new one in the offing. where do you live, btw? because i’m in the uk and they told me that the main adobe big guys didn’t tell them about the new version until the end of september.

macromedia and microsoft both have a thing where if you have recently bought a product and a new release has since come up you are entitled to a free upgrade.

However, I’d look at it this way, at least you haven’t got to use activation and then spend a lot of time getting drowned in emails when Adobe sells your info to however will buy it.

ick. they do that? perhaps i should boycott them and try out paint shop pro or corel photopaint. i already like corel draw 🙂 !!
H
Hecate
Nov 8, 2003
On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:03:34 +0000 (UTC), "Ruth" wrote:

you’re right.
i am definitely guilty of not keeping up to date.
but i’d have thought phoning up adobe woulda been enough to find out if there was a new one in the offing. where do you live, btw? because i’m in the uk and they told me that the main adobe big guys didn’t tell them about the new version until the end of september.

I’m in the UK too, and I found out about by checking out the Adobe web site, reading a PC mag once a month and being here, all of which meant I knew way back that the software was coming out. I think it’s important to keep informed, but I don’t think that absolves Adobe of any responsibility. I check these things out because I trust Adobe just about as far as I can shot put a jumbo jet 😉

macromedia and microsoft both have a thing where if you have recently bought a product and a new release has since come up you are entitled to a free upgrade.

Yes, they do, with, IIRC a 3 month time limit. But, again, Adobe do not say that they do this on their web site, so you have to assume that they don’t. (Although I have heard of them giving a one month warning before now.).

ick. they do that? perhaps i should boycott them and try out paint shop pro or corel photopaint. i already like corel draw 🙂 !!
I can think of quite a few reasons why they have started activation, including selling info, locking you into upgrades when they want, and several other reasons. none of those reasons include the reason they give which is piracy. Pirates are far more efficient than Adobe and had a flawed crack out, followed by a fixed crack one week later, within days of CS being released. Adobe know that, and so does everyone else. So I look for the ulterior motive – I’,m cynical like that. 😉

Incidentally, I have a lot of time for Corel PhotoPaint. Unfortunately, however, I don’t know if PP will exist much longer now that Corel have collapsed and been bought out. I don’t think PPP is a good replacement for PS though because they try to copy what PS can do and, IMHO, usually fail. Trouble is, unless Adobe see sense I can’t see myself upgrading from PS 7 unless I have no other choice (i.e. I can no longer run PS7 on the machine I need to use).

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
R
Ruth
Nov 8, 2003
I’m in the UK too, and I found out about by checking out the Adobe web site, reading a PC mag once a month and being here, all of which meant I knew way back that the software was coming out. I think it’s important to keep informed, but I don’t think that absolves Adobe of any responsibility. I check these things out because I trust Adobe just about as far as I can shot put a jumbo jet 😉

ah…i knew i’d pay the price for stopping my computer arts subscription when the magz i didn’t have time to read piled up in the corner…:( unfortunately i only found "here" just recently. and now i know adobe are ******. Unless, of course you are a GREAT shotputter…!

Yes, they do, with, IIRC a 3 month time limit. But, again, Adobe do not say that they do this on their web site, so you have to assume that they don’t. (Although I have heard of them giving a one month warning before now.).

actually, i didn’t realise anyone did this until i contacted macromedia.

I can think of quite a few reasons why they have started activation, including selling info, locking you into upgrades when they want, and several other reasons. none of those reasons include the reason they give which is piracy. Pirates are far more efficient than Adobe and had a flawed crack out, followed by a fixed crack one week later, within days of CS being released. Adobe know that, and so does everyone else. So I look for the ulterior motive – I’,m cynical like that. 😉

now why don’t i just use pirate software. i wouldn’t have to pay any upgrades at all. 😉

Incidentally, I have a lot of time for Corel PhotoPaint. Unfortunately, however, I don’t know if PP will exist much longer now that Corel have collapsed and been bought out. I don’t think PPP is a good replacement for PS though because they try to copy what PS can do and, IMHO, usually fail. Trouble is, unless Adobe see sense I can’t see myself upgrading from PS 7 unless I have no other choice (i.e. I can no longer run PS7 on the machine I need to use).

i don’t think i’ll be upgrading to cs, well not for a while either. i used photo paint a lot round about version 3 (i think) cos thats what my company were using (bah, cowboys!) hehehe. but i just love photoshop. just not the same. do like corel draw, although i’ve found it is pooh-poohed alot so it’ll have to stay my dirty little secret in this illustrator world.

ruth
H
Hecate
Nov 9, 2003
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 18:24:58 +0000 (UTC), "Ruth" wrote:

actually, i didn’t realise anyone did this until i contacted macromedia.
Ah, right. My original background was in computing and computer support, which meant keeping myself informed about who allowed what and when in terms of software 🙂

now why don’t i just use pirate software. i wouldn’t have to pay any upgrades at all. 😉

LOL! Which is a good point actually. The people who are going to be made to suffer by activation are the *honest* ones. The pirates will just go merrily on their way enjoying their free software.

i don’t think i’ll be upgrading to cs, well not for a while either. i used photo paint a lot round about version 3 (i think) cos thats what my company were using (bah, cowboys!) hehehe. but i just love photoshop. just not the same. do like corel draw, although i’ve found it is pooh-poohed alot so it’ll have to stay my dirty little secret in this illustrator world.
LOL! Actually, unless there are big improvements in the new Illustrator (Which I also won;’t be purchasing because of activation etc… <g>) I prefer Corel Draw too. My favourite at the moment is Freehand though.

Like you I love Photoshop, but I also dislike my personal privacy being violated just so Adobe can make a few more quick bucks… 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections