P
Posted By
philo
Oct 25, 2012
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just got a *free* computer. CPU is an X2 AMD 5000. Dumped Vista and installed Win7_64bit

All I had to do was replace the dead power supply and brought the RAM up to 4 gigs

It has a low end on-board nVidia chip that is not capable of Direct X.

I gave the machine to my wife and she will use it for Photoshop exclusively. The machine will not be used for games or video.

Seems to work ok but wondering if it would be worth it to get a better video card, would there be any advantage?

https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

V
Voivod
Oct 25, 2012
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:13:21 -0500, philo scribbled:

I just got a *free* computer. CPU is an X2 AMD 5000. Dumped Vista and installed Win7_64bit

All I had to do was replace the dead power supply and brought the RAM up to 4 gigs

I gave the machine to my wife and she will use it for Photoshop exclusively. The machine will not be used for games or video.
Seems to work ok but wondering if it would be worth it to get a better video card, would there be any advantage?

You’d be better served by adding more RAM.
J
Jonz
Oct 25, 2012
On 10/24/2012 5:13 PM, philo wrote:

Check the system requirements of the photoshop version you plan on using to see if your video card is OK.

Jonz
P
philo
Oct 25, 2012
On 10/24/2012 09:07 PM, Jonz wrote:
On 10/24/2012 5:13 PM, philo wrote:

Check the system requirements of the photoshop version you plan on using to see if your video card is OK.

Jonz

Photoshop seems to be working OK

I checked the card and it actually does have Direct X just no GPU so it should be fine

P
philo
Oct 25, 2012
On 10/24/2012 08:45 PM, Voivod wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:13:21 -0500, philo scribbled:

You’d be better served by adding more RAM.

I am going to order some more RAM and assign at least 4 gigs to Photoshop. It seems to be working pretty well the way it is now…but RAM is pretty cheap

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections