O
Posted By
oldman
Apr 6, 2012
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Windows 7 and recentlly purchased CS5. I started with a raw file. I made a background copy, converted it to B&W and added sepia. After saving it to tiff and jpeg, I copied the jpeg to my flash drive. When I copied the file to my Vista computer, the sepia toning was gone.
Any ideas?

Thanks, Oldman.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TC
tony cooper
Apr 6, 2012
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 21:31:39 -0400, oldman wrote:

I use Windows 7 and recentlly purchased CS5. I started with a raw file. I made a background copy, converted it to B&W and added sepia. After saving it to tiff and jpeg, I copied the jpeg to my flash drive. When I copied the file to my Vista computer, the sepia toning was gone.
Any ideas?

Thanks, Oldman.

Chances are you didn’t "flatten" the image and the open layer had not been converted to sepia. The image is copied as that layer shows.

Just a guess. It’s impossible to really know without seeing the file.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
O
oldman
Apr 6, 2012
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 22:00:56 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks, Oldman.

Chances are you didn’t "flatten" the image and the open layer had not been converted to sepia. The image is copied as that layer shows.
Tony,

Thanks for answering so quickly.

I actually did flatten the image. I tried it both ways flat and not flat.

I’m going to try the Photoshop forums in the next few days. Then again, it may be the two different computers.

Thanks again,

Oldman
S
Savageduck
Apr 6, 2012
On 2012-04-05 19:21:59 -0700, oldman said:

wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks, Oldman.

Tony,

I’m going to try the Photoshop forums in the next few days. Then again, it may be the two different computers.

Thanks again,

Oldman

There are a few things which need clarification:

Did you change from 16-bit to 8-bit before you saved to jpeg? JPEGs are 8 bit only and you might not actually have a jpeg there.

Is the sepia adjusted jpeg still visible as you intended on the W7 computer? If it is, perhaps saving it to your flash drive from your desktop with CS5 closed might get you a clean jpeg.

Have you attempted to open the jpeg on any Vista machine other than yours, or any other machine?

Can you reprocess another/different RAW file with similar adjustments, save as a JPEG, and repeat the failure to open on the Vista machine?

Will the adjusted TIFF open on the Vista machine as intended?

Have you considered upgrading the Vista machine to W7, or even downgrading to XP (SP2)?

Here is one of my efforts at a mono-chroming & toning antique job, done on a Mac with CS5.
….and I know that this doesn’t really help you much. 😉 < http://db.tt/kju7Yn8d >

Regards,

Savageduck
O
oldman
Apr 6, 2012
On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 19:52:17 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks, Oldman.

Tony,

Thanks again,

Oldman

Did you change from 16-bit to 8-bit before you saved to jpeg? JPEGs are 8 bit only and you might not actually have a jpeg there.
Is the sepia adjusted jpeg still visible as you intended on the W7 computer? If it is, perhaps saving it to your flash drive from your desktop with CS5 closed might get you a clean jpeg.

Have you attempted to open the jpeg on any Vista machine other than yours, or any other machine?

Can you reprocess another/different RAW file with similar adjustments, save as a JPEG, and repeat the failure to open on the Vista machine?
Have you considered upgrading the Vista machine to W7, or even downgrading to XP (SP2)?

Here is one of my efforts at a mono-chroming & toning antique job, done on a Mac with CS5.
…and I know that this doesn’t really help you much. 😉 < http://db.tt/kju7Yn8d >
SavageDuck,
Thanks for the quick answer.
I think I may have found a work around. The sepia toning is actually there, but the intensity does not copy to the other computer. I tried pushing the slider all the way to the right and saving it that way. When copied to the Vista computer, the sepia toning was faint, but it was there.
I then decided to try it again without moving the filter slider and using the saturation slider instead from the hue and saturation adjustment. The toning copied to the Vista computer with the same intensity as before.
I’m still fairly new to Photoshop and will ask about this again in the forums soon. I do appreciate your help, have printed your answer, and will try your suggestions.

Thank you,
Oldman
N
nomail
Apr 6, 2012
oldman wrote:
SavageDuck,
I think I may have found a work around. The sepia toning is actually there, but the intensity does not copy to the other computer. I tried pushing the slider all the way to the right and saving it that way. When copied to the Vista computer, the sepia toning was faint, but it was there.
I then decided to try it again without moving the filter slider and using the saturation slider instead from the hue and saturation adjustment. The toning copied to the Vista computer with the same intensity as before.

This sounds like a color management problem. Photoshop uses color management, but most other applications do not. If you save a file from Photoshop in a wide gamut color space, such as AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB, and you open that image on your Vista computer in an application that doesn’t support color management, this is exactly what you can expect. The solution is to use the sRGB color space. In Photoshop, select ‘Edit – Convert to Profile’ and select the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile.

Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer, www.johanfoto.com
S
Savageduck
Apr 6, 2012
On 2012-04-06 03:41:00 -0700, oldman said:

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 19:52:17 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks, Oldman.

Tony,

Thanks again,

Oldman

…and I know that this doesn’t really help you much. 😉 < http://db.tt/kju7Yn8d >
SavageDuck,
I’m still fairly new to Photoshop and will ask about this again in the forums soon. I do appreciate your help, have printed your answer, and will try your suggestions.

Thank you,
Oldman

Now it sounds as if you have two different computer displays which are not calibrated. Both displays have to be calibrated to give you consistent color on both.

I suspect the least you could do is go through the calibration procedure for each of your monitors.
This might give you some clues:
< http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/colorcalibration/a/cal_monito r.htm > < http://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-Your-Monitor >

The best you could do is to get yourself a decent calibration tool such as one of the following:

< http://www.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=562 > I use the huey Pro.
< http://www.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=1148& amp;ca=2 > < http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4pro/ >

Regards,

Savageduck
C
Carrie
Apr 6, 2012
"tony cooper" wrote in message

Any ideas?

Thanks, Oldman.

Doesn’t it auto flatten when you save as a jpeg? Just know sometimes I forget to flatten or merge and save them and they seem okay. Haven’t tried what he did here, though.
N
nomail
Apr 6, 2012
"Carrie" wrote:

Doesn’t it auto flatten when you save as a jpeg? Just know sometimes I forget to flatten or merge and save them and they seem okay. Haven’t tried what he did here, though.

Yes, it does flatten, JPEG doesn’t support layers, so this suggestion is impossible. Read my other message about color spaces. That is more likely the cause.

S
Savageduck
Apr 6, 2012
On 2012-04-06 12:46:19 -0700, Johan W. Elzenga said:

"Carrie" wrote:

Yes, it does flatten, JPEG doesn’t support layers, so this suggestion is impossible. Read my other message about color spaces. That is more likely the cause.

Yup!
I think it will turn out to be a combination of color space issues and displays in need of calibration.

Regards,

Savageduck
O
oldman
Apr 6, 2012

Any ideas?

Thanks, Oldman.
Thanks Everyone.

I’ll print all of the answers and try them.

I really appreciate the help. Everyone has been just great!

Oldman
TC
tony cooper
Apr 7, 2012
On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 14:46:19 -0500, Johan W. Elzenga
wrote:

"Carrie" wrote:

Correct, but it’s possible to think the file is being saved as .jpg when it is actually saved as a .psd. That’s what I thought may have happened.

N
nomail
Apr 7, 2012
tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

"Carrie" wrote:

Correct, but it’s possible to think the file is being saved as .jpg when it is actually saved as a .psd. That’s what I thought may have happened.

Yes, that is possible but that would still not explain what the OP sees. If you save as PSD, all layers get saved and a flattened preview is added. Other applications will either open the PSD with all its layers, or show the preview. In both cases that means the sepia color should show. You can just ‘forget’ to save one of the layers and it’s unlikely that the sepia layer gets turned off without you seeing that.

N
nomail
Apr 8, 2012
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

"Carrie" wrote:

Yes, that is possible but that would still not explain what the OP sees. If you save as PSD, all layers get saved and a flattened preview is added. Other applications will either open the PSD with all its layers, or show the preview. In both cases that means the sepia color should show. You can just ‘forget’ to save one of the layers and it’s unlikely that the sepia layer gets turned off without you seeing that.

Oops. I obviously meant you CAN’T just ‘forget’ to save one of the layers. If you save a layered file as PSD, all layers are saved.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections