Ulysses
Nov 17, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930s, ’40s, ’50s, ’60s and ’70s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn’t get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based

paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets, and, when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps, not helmets, on our heads.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires

and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we

weren’t overweight.

WHY?

Because we were always outside playing…that’s why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. –And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot

the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no

video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat

rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from those accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call

child services to report abuse.

We ate worms, and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and -although we were

told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to

them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn’t had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors ever.

The past 50 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of those born between 1925-1970, CONGRATULATIONS!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
RH
Nov 17, 2011
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:27:27 -0500, "Ulysses" wrote:

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn’t get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based

paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets, and, when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps, not helmets, on our heads.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires

and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we

weren’t overweight.

WHY?

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot

the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no

video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat

rooms.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from those accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call

We ate worms, and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and -although we were

We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to

them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn’t had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors ever.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

Why dont you go ans spam in an appropriate newsgroup?

No one cares ..

I thought this was a Photoshop one?

Am I Right?

Yes I thought so ….

Life is Good !!!
R
RH
Nov 17, 2011
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:27:27 -0500, "Ulysses" wrote:

Correction We do Care

But In a more appropriate Newsgroup

Maybe alt.reminicing.memories.

Or alt.letscare.today

Life is Good !!!
V
Voivod
Nov 17, 2011
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:27:27 -0500, "Ulysses" scribbled:

paints.

and sometimes no brakes.

weren’t overweight.

WHY?

rooms.

them.

Imagine that!!

What the fuck does this have to do with Photoshop?
S
Savageduck
Nov 18, 2011
On 2011-11-17 13:27:27 -0800, "Ulysses" said:

1930s, ’40s, ’50s, ’60s and ’70s!!……..

You seem to be experiencing some sort of personal crisis of late. First, you attempt to deify extreme weather with a photography analogy, and now this VERY OT post.

This is not the place to evangelize, as one who managed to survive the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, etc. through to today I understand some of the sentiment expressed in your post. However you have missed the point of technical and societal evolution.
Time changes everything. Including a lowered tolerance for whiny out bursts such as the one you just delivered.

Regards,

Savageduck
U
Ulysses
Nov 18, 2011
You seem to be experiencing some sort of personal crisis of late. First, you attempt to deify extreme weather with a photography analogy, and now this VERY OT post.

This is not the place to evangelize, as one who managed to survive the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, etc. through to today I understand some of the sentiment expressed in your post. However you have missed the point of technical and societal evolution.
Time changes everything. Including a lowered tolerance for whiny out bursts such as the one you just delivered.

Savageduck
No crisis here and not whinning. only sad to see how the world has changed I see my grandkids inside playing video games. They are not outside. Their parents
won’t allow it for fear of getting hurt or some queer molesting them. TV and lawers have killed it. I see on the TV news about the Penn state queers,
constant talk for over a week. no wonder parents are afraid. when i was a kid, I was outside playing all day. Come back home for dinner, filthy dirty and smelling like an outhouse, but I was healthy. had no fear of getting
hurt or being molested…..so what is better—yesterday or today. Yes this is a photoshop newsgroup. I like it here. Occasionally, I will post off-topic
subjects to give you something to think abut other than photoshop Savageduck: if you hate what I am doing, say so, and I tuck my tail and leave
Thank you
V
Voivod
Nov 18, 2011
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:45:31 -0500, "Ulysses" scribbled:

Savageduck
No crisis here and not whinning. only sad to see how the world has changed I see my grandkids inside playing video games. They are not outside. Their parents won’t allow it for fear of getting hurt or some queer molesting them.

Ah, bigotry, they say it grows bolder with age.

TV and lawers have killed it. I see on the TV news about the Penn state queers, constant talk for over a week. no wonder parents are afraid.

They’re afraid of you too.

when i was a kid, I was outside playing all day. Come back home for dinner, filthy dirty and smelling like an outhouse, but I was healthy. had no fear

When you were a kid you HAD an outhouse.

of getting
hurt or being molested…..so what is better—yesterday or today.

Take off the rose tinted glasses, fucktard.

Yes this is a photoshop newsgroup. I like it here. Occasionally, I will post off-topic subjects to give you something to think abut other than photoshop Savageduck: if you hate what I am doing, say so, and I tuck my tail and leave
Thank you

He said it. I said it. Tuck that fucking tail and get the fuck out!
S
Savageduck
Nov 18, 2011
On 2011-11-18 05:45:31 -0800, "Ulysses" said:

Savageduck
No crisis here and not whinning. only sad to see how the world has changed I see my grandkids inside playing video games. They are not outside. Their parents
won’t allow it for fear of getting hurt or some queer molesting them. TV and lawers have killed it. I see on the TV news about the Penn state queers,

….and there weren’t kids who were victims in the 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, and on?
Where I live I see kids playing outside, on bicycles, skateboards, surfing, flying kites, and plenty of other activities. You have stereotyped a generation, and if the kids you note the behavior in are your grandchildren, you might look to yourself and their parents for a share of the responsibility for the kids’ character.
Paranoia starts at home.

constant talk for over a week. no wonder parents are afraid. when i was a kid, I was outside playing all day. Come back home for dinner, filthy dirty and smelling like an outhouse, but I was healthy. had no fear of getting
hurt or being molested…..so what is better—yesterday or today.

It is all subjective. I certainly wax nostalgic from time to time, but there is little I truly regret leaving in the past, and I am 63.

Yes this is a photoshop newsgroup. I like it here. Occasionally, I will post off-topic
subjects to give you something to think abut other than photoshop Savageduck: if you hate what I am doing, say so, and I tuck my tail and leave
Thank you

I see no problem with a discussion being led OT as it develops. If you are going to initiate an Off Topic post, then at least have the courtesy to note the fact with an "OT" in the subject line. What I truly hate is pompous evangelism, and self righteous indignation when challenged on such behavior.

Regards,

Savageduck
U
Ulysses
Nov 18, 2011
I see no problem with a discussion being led OT as it develops. If you are going to initiate an Off Topic post, then at least have the courtesy to note the fact with an "OT" in the subject line. What I truly hate is pompous evangelism, and self righteous indignation when challenged on such behavior.

Regards,

Savageduck
well noted. for now on will post "OT" in headings I take it you do not like my behavior in this group
OH, by the way, I am 80 yrs old. an old fart with a big mouth still asking: Do you want me to leave ??
J
jaSPAMc
Nov 18, 2011
Ritchie Valens found these unused words:

Yes I thought so ….

OMG … a -=FIRST=- !
V
Voivod
Nov 18, 2011
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:38:49 -0500, "Ulysses" scribbled:

Regards,

Savageduck
well noted. for now on will post "OT" in headings I take it you do not like my behavior in this group
OH, by the way, I am 80 yrs old. an old fart with a big mouth still asking: Do you want me to leave ??

Could you die instead?
C
Carrie
Nov 18, 2011
"Ulysses" wrote in message

paints.

and sometimes no brakes.

weren’t overweight.

WHY?

rooms.

them.

Imagine that!!

Makes one wonder what will be written about 1980-2010 at some future point. LOL
C
Carrie
Nov 18, 2011
"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

Regards,

Savageduck

And this response isn’t just as OT? Maybe you should move it to talk.psychology.psych
C
Carrie
Nov 18, 2011

Savageduck
constant talk for over a week. no wonder parents are afraid. when i was a kid, I was outside playing all day. Come back home for dinner,
filthy dirty and smelling like an outhouse, but I was healthy. had no fear of getting
hurt or being molested…..so what is better—yesterday or today. Yes this is a photoshop newsgroup. I like it here. Occasionally, I will post off-topic
Thank you
I don’t mind occasional off topics, a group might have a theme but can also share other things that might be meaningfull and worth sharing. The idea of pointng out when something is O.T. and criticizing it, and getting the thread off in that direction is also O.T. but not good or worth sharing. If anyone doesn’t like general sharing, it’s easy to skip it. This is a group (supposedly friendly) not second grade.
C
Carrie
Nov 18, 2011

Savageduck
constant talk for over a week. no wonder parents are afraid. when i was a kid, I was outside playing all day. Come back home for dinner,
filthy dirty and smelling like an outhouse, but I was healthy. had no fear of getting
Thank you
Like I get to skip the rest of this thread that is going off in the direction of criticizing and judging. Sorry if I came across like that, crticizing and judging those I see as criticizing and judging is still the same thing….
R
RH
Nov 18, 2011
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:38:49 -0500, "Ulysses" wrote:

Regards,

Savageduck

Ulysses,

We dont want you to leave.

What you say about the world changing is very valid, and some of us are on the cese behind the scenes, attempting to be world changers not world whingers or whinners.

I think, all we were saying is that this is loosely a photoshop newsgroup.

What you have posted is interesting, so dont take seriously what 90% of the people in here say.

Have a Great day.

Life is Good !!!
R
RH
Nov 18, 2011
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:18:55 -0500, "Carrie"
wrote:

Savageduck
Thank you
I don’t mind occasional off topics, a group might have a theme but can also share other things that might be meaningfull and worth sharing. The idea of pointng out when something is O.T. and criticizing it, and getting the thread off in that direction is also O.T. but not good or worth sharing. If anyone doesn’t like general sharing, it’s easy to skip it. This is a group (supposedly friendly) not second grade.

I agree with Carrie,

When I initially saw the post it looked spam like, but upon further reading, its very valid.

And don’t worry about voivoid.

Have a Great day ..

Life is Good !!!
V
Voivod
Nov 18, 2011
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:05:46 +0000, Ritchie Valens
scribbled:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:38:49 -0500, "Ulysses" wrote:

Regards,

Savageduck

Ulysses,

We dont want you to leave.

Yes, we do.

What you say about the world changing is very valid, and some of us are on the cese behind the scenes, attempting to be world changers not world whingers or whinners.

You going to buy him a drink before you suck his dick?

I think, all we were saying is that this is loosely a photoshop newsgroup.

You? Think? LIES!

What you have posted is interesting, so dont take seriously what 90% of the people in here say.

So… ignore the majority and do what you want?

Have a Great day.

Fuck off and die.
V
Voivod
Nov 18, 2011
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:07:11 +0000, Ritchie Valens
scribbled:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:18:55 -0500, "Carrie"
wrote:

Savageduck
Thank you

I agree with Carrie,

Hooray for you! Would you like a medal! A prattling grandmother on the verge of senility and some old fuck grandpa who can’t keep on topic. Brilliant people to get behind… if you’re retarded.

When I initially saw the post it looked spam like, but upon further reading, its very valid.

How many times did you have to read it, shitlips?

Because when you’re too retarded to copy letters already on the screen you should worry more about forgetting to breathe.
S
Savageduck
Nov 18, 2011
On 2011-11-18 07:38:49 -0800, "Ulysses" said:

Regards,

Savageduck
well noted. for now on will post "OT" in headings

That is a reasonable step to take.

I take it you do not like my behavior in this group

Oh! I don’t mind the occasional OT digression. What I object to is the presumptive injection of religion as you did in the previous thread you initiated.
In some of the other groups I participate in I find that I can be drawn OT particularly if a debate regarding a particular disagreement is engaged. This can become tedious for others in the group who are not part of that particular discussion. That is the time to take that conversation out of the group and on to e-mail, where the noise causes less of a disturbance.

OH, by the way, I am 80 yrs old.

So?

an old fart with a big mouth

….and I am a slightly less aged old fart with opinions and a big mouth.

still asking: Do you want me to leave ??

….and why should what anybody wants have any influence on your decision to maintain a presence here or not?

For the most part your participation is not going to effect my life one way or another. Your age should not be a hurdle to you learning something useful regarding Photoshop, or anything else in any of the specialist groups.

Just remember that staying on topic in any group is a key element to keeping the specific group alive. Also, not everybody is going to be receptive to any individual’s faith & beliefs, particularly if they evangelize when that is not welcome.

If you want to discuss God, gods, divine inspiration, Cargo Cultists, and anything of that ilk, take it to the appropriate group.

If you want to learn how to make a particular correction, or tweak to an image using Photoshop, or how a particular feature of Photoshop is used, or if there is some breaking news regarding Photoshop, this is one of the places you might be led to an answer.

Regards,

Savageduck
S
Savageduck
Nov 18, 2011
On 2011-11-18 09:16:26 -0800, "Carrie" said:

"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

Regards,

Savageduck

And this response isn’t just as OT? Maybe you should move it to talk.psychology.psych

This entire thread is OT. So what you have is a resulting degradation of the atmosphere in the room.

Regards,

Savageduck
C
Carrie
Nov 19, 2011
"Ritchie Valens" wrote in message
I agree with Carrie,

I’ve had voivoid blocked since day one. Some people I wait and give a chance, and also (of course) believe everyone has a right to their opinions and free choices, especially on an unmoderated group. But something about voivoid reminds me too much of others I’ve given chances to, and it was a waste of time. No, wait, nothing is really a waste of time if we learn from it LOL Much more to learn here, aside from Photoshop.
V
Voivod
Nov 19, 2011
On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:39:40 -0500, "Carrie"
scribbled:

"Ritchie Valens" wrote in message
I agree with Carrie,

I’ve had voivoid blocked since day one. Some people I wait and give a

Liar and a coward.

chance, and also (of course) believe everyone has a right to their opinions and free choices, especially on an unmoderated group. But something about voivoid reminds me too much of others I’ve given chances to, and it was a

Such a good judgmental Christian.

waste of time. No, wait, nothing is really a waste of time if we learn from it LOL Much more to learn here, aside from Photoshop.

We’ve learned you’re a complete retard.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections