Dec 2, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

What I want to do:
########################
I want to produce color gradients in photoshop, linear as well as circular gradients (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_gradient).

I know 3 ways to do that:

Way 1:
Make a new layer and use the "Gradient Tool (G)" from the tool icon bar in a manual fashion

Way 2:
Create a gradient via "Adjustment layer > Gradient"

Way 3:
Create a new white layer, then create a gradient via "Blending Options > Gradient Overlay"

My Problems:
########################
Way 1:
– it is a manual way, but I need a method which allows me to standardize, e.g. by telling someone the angle in degree. I need a method which allows me to make precise descriptions in how to make a gradient, so that i can reproduce 100% identical gradients at any time by any person
– it does not allow the recipient of my files to alter the gradient afterwords
– Big filesize compared to 2&3

Way 2 & 3:
Those methods eliminate the problems of Way 1, but have one major issue: I get color banding problems in my gradients
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding).
I don’t see any way to eliminate the color bandings in way 3. As for way 2 there is the option "Dithering". If I activate this setting, I get rid of color banding in my linear gradients. As for my circular gradients, the problem remains.

Questions:
########################
-How can I get rid of color banding for good, for my linear AND for my circular gradients?
– Why do I have color banding with methods 2 & 3 but not with method 1? – Do I really eliminate color banding by selecting "dithering", or is it only an effect which I see on screen? How about printing my gradients with high-quality offset printing?
– What do I do wrong, how should I do it better?
– Between method 2 and 3 there is a difference in how the layer appears in the "Layers" Menu. Method 2 produces a "Gradient Fill" layer, while method 3 produces an "Fx" Layer with effects. What is the difference for the people that I hand out my files for further processing? – Are there any other ways to make gradients, which might be more "professional" than the way I do them?

Thank you for any piece of information, hint or idea!

Tom

F’up to: alt.graphics.photoshop

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections