My screen colors don’t match my printed colors, help!

DG
Posted By
Doug Greenberg
Nov 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I am a beginner when it comes to using Photoshop. In fact, I only use Photoshop Elements and I’m pretty new even at using this more modest program. My current problem is that when I print digital photos, particularly those involving skin tones, what I get from my HP 930c printer is never quite the same as what I see on my monitor. The finished printed photos seem most often to be lacking in reds and in saturation overall. So I go to the "enhance" menu and I add more red and increase saturation. What I end up with on the screen looks ghastly, but by overcompensating in this manner I can (usually, and with some trial and error) get a satisfactory printed version.

It would be preferable (much) if I could somehow adjust what I have on the screen to match what I am getting from the printer. I know that there is a way to do this, but I can’t seem to figure it out.

I see stuff in the "help" section that deals with "color profiles," but I confess that I find it baffling.

What feature(s) of Photoshop Elements should I be using, and how?

Thanks for any and all suggestions and advice.

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, California USA

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

G
Greg
Nov 5, 2003
Try going to Edit -> Color Settings -> and then make sure that Color Management is turned off. Worked for me.

Greg
1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
http://hager.no-ip.com/
AllFordMustangs.com Moderator

"Doug Greenberg" wrote in message
Hello,
I am a beginner when it comes to using Photoshop. In fact, I only use Photoshop Elements and I’m pretty new even at using this more modest program. My current problem is that when I print digital photos, particularly those involving skin tones, what I get from my HP 930c
printer
is never quite the same as what I see on my monitor. The finished printed photos seem most often to be lacking in reds and in saturation overall.
So
I go to the "enhance" menu and I add more red and increase saturation.
What
I end up with on the screen looks ghastly, but by overcompensating in this manner I can (usually, and with some trial and error) get a satisfactory printed version.

It would be preferable (much) if I could somehow adjust what I have on the screen to match what I am getting from the printer. I know that there is
a
way to do this, but I can’t seem to figure it out.

I see stuff in the "help" section that deals with "color profiles," but I confess that I find it baffling.

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, California USA

B
B
Nov 5, 2003
Doug Greenberg wrote:
Hello,
I am a beginner when it comes to using Photoshop. In fact, I only use Photoshop Elements and I’m pretty new even at using this more modest program. My current problem is that when I print digital photos, particularly those involving skin tones, what I get from my HP 930c printer is never quite the same as what I see on my monitor. The finished printed photos seem most often to be lacking in reds and in saturation overall. So I go to the "enhance" menu and I add more red and increase saturation. What I end up with on the screen looks ghastly, but by overcompensating in this manner I can (usually, and with some trial and error) get a satisfactory printed version.
It would be preferable (much) if I could somehow adjust what I have on the screen to match what I am getting from the printer. I know that there is a way to do this, but I can’t seem to figure it out.

–as a matter of interest, do you use a tft screen?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections