B
Posted By
BF
Oct 9, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
All of a sudden if I try to use automated batch I get an error saying PS has encountered a problem and has to shut down.
Does anyone have any Idea what would cause this when it worked fine?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

S
Savageduck
Oct 9, 2011
On 2011-10-08 19:43:43 -0700, BF said:

All of a sudden if I try to use automated batch I get an error saying PS has encountered a problem and has to shut down.

Check your preferences for your scratch disc allocation. It might be that, and/or a shortage of RAM issue, making CS5 choke on the automated batch.

Regards,

Savageduck
B
BF
Oct 9, 2011
On 10/9/2011 12:31 AM, Savageduck wrote:

All of a sudden if I try to use automated batch I get an error saying PS has encountered a problem and has to shut down. Does anyone have any Idea what would cause this when it worked fine?

Check your preferences for your scratch disc allocation. It might be that, and/or a shortage of RAM issue, making CS5 choke on the automated batch.
The problem is nothing has changed, that I know of. I haven’t used it in a while so I don’t know when the error started.
I still have CS4 on my computer and Automated batch works fine. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.
C
Carrie
Oct 9, 2011
"BF" wrote in message

The problem is nothing has changed, that I know of. I haven’t used it in a while so I don’t know when the error started.
I still have CS4 on my computer and Automated batch works fine. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you reinstall PS?
Not sure about PS and I haven’t had this error in years, but when I used to (with any program and Win 98)I’d think it wasn’t enough memory. Like if I was doing something big, or copy/pasting somethning long. Not sure what files are used for batch, but if you find out you could copy/paste the one from CS4 into the same place in CS5 (drag the one from there out onto the desktop in case it doesn’t work and you have to put it back) and see if it works.
I’ve gotten files from another computer with CS2 on it and put them in CS3 and they worked. Filters, etc. For some reason one of them didn’t work in mine all of a sudden. Not sure which files are used for batch but if you look in program files and the PS CS5 folder and sub folders you might see one.
Just a guess (thinking what I would try if it were me)
B
BF
Oct 9, 2011
On 10/9/2011 6:03 PM, Carrie wrote:
"BF" wrote in message

Can you reinstall PS?
Not sure about PS and I haven’t had this error in years, but when I used to (with any program and Win 98)I’d think it wasn’t enough memory. Like if I was doing something big, or copy/pasting somethning long. Not sure what files are used for batch, but if you find out you could copy/paste the one from CS4 into the same place in CS5 (drag the one from there out onto the desktop in case it doesn’t work and you have to put it back) and see if it works.
I’ve gotten files from another computer with CS2 on it and put them in CS3 and they worked. Filters, etc. For some reason one of them didn’t work in mine all of a sudden. Not sure which files are used for batch but if you look in program files and the PS CS5 folder and sub folders you might see one.
I thought the same thing and really can’t find any files for Automated batch. I am continuing to look.
I don’t think it is memory because it has worked in the past. If I open PS and go straight to Auto Batch I get the error before I load anything.
I don’t use Auto Batch a lot but would like to know it works when I do need it.
I can reinstall but I am not sure it is worth having to set everything up again to my liking and then find out the problem still exists.
C
Carrie
Oct 10, 2011
"BF" wrote in message
"BF" wrote in message

All of a sudden if I try to use automated batch I get an error saying
PS has encountered a problem and has to shut down.
The problem is nothing has changed, that I know of. I haven’t used it in a
while so I don’t know when the error started.
Can you reinstall PS?
Not sure about PS and I haven’t had this error in years, but when I used
to (with any program and Win 98)I’d think it wasn’t enough memory. Like if I
was doing something big, or copy/pasting somethning long. Not sure what files are used for batch, but if you find out you could copy/paste the one from CS4 into the same place in CS5 (drag the one from there out onto the desktop in case it doesn’t work and you have to put it back) and see if it works.
I’ve gotten files from another computer with CS2 on it and put them in
CS3 and they worked. Filters, etc. For some reason one of them didn’t work
in mine all of a sudden. Not sure which files are used for batch but if you
look in program files and the PS CS5 folder and sub folders you might see one.
I thought the same thing and really can’t find any files for Automated batch. I am continuing to look.
I don’t think it is memory because it has worked in the past. If I open PS and go straight to Auto Batch I get the error before I load anything.
I can reinstall but I am not sure it is worth having to set everything up again to my liking and then find out the problem still exists.
Seems like one of those things there is a simple answer to somewhere, it’s just a matter of finding it.
Somewhere (I’ll have to look) the actions are saved in files. You could maybe take them all out (like onto the desktop) and put them back one at a time and see. After I got CS3 I tried putting some plug in in that I had, and it would bring up an error message (some file missing) when I opened PS and wouldn’t go away so I could use the program. This would happen when all the plug-ins and stuff were loading. If I took the plug in folder (with the ones I was trying to put in in it) out it would be fine. I know that’s not really the same thing.
Just looked and the actions are in C>Program Files>Adobe>Adobe Photoshop CS3 (mine is) Presets. Actions is in there. Maybe if copy/paste it elsewhere (for safekeeping) and take out all but a few of the actions in the file, open PS and try it and see. Though if it’s the error with actions overall, it probably would work okay with NO folder in it. If you follow me. Or, try copy/pasting the Actions folder from your CS4. I don’t know enough about it to know if it will work, but pretty sure most of the files like that are basically the same.
Something seems to be clashing and if it worked before and does in CS4 seems like the folder from CS5 might be the problem (something in it) I don’t have anything newer than CS3 and have put in files from CS2 (replacing them) and they worked. Also you might be able to find the folder on the setup CD, not sure about that.
I’m like you, though, I’d want it to work in case I needed it, and also I enjoy a challange (at least when my computer still works and it’s someone else’s challenge (LOL)
Also, I have CS3 so don’t know if 5 is different, I assume the files are basically the same.
C
Carrie
Oct 10, 2011
"Carrie" wrote in message
"BF" wrote in message
"BF" wrote in message

Check your preferences for your scratch disc allocation. It might be that, and/or a shortage of RAM issue, making CS5 choke on the automated
batch.
Can you reinstall PS?
was doing something big, or copy/pasting somethning long. Not sure what files are used for batch, but if you find out you could copy/paste the one from CS4 into the same place in CS5 (drag the one from
there out onto the desktop in case it doesn’t work and you have to put it
back) and see if it works.
look in program files and the PS CS5 folder and sub folders you might see
one.
Seems like one of those things there is a simple answer to somewhere, it’s just a matter of finding it.
Somewhere (I’ll have to look) the actions are saved in files. You could maybe take them all out (like onto the desktop) and put them back one at a time and see. After I got CS3 I tried putting some plug in in that I had, and it would bring up an error message (some file missing) when I opened PS and wouldn’t go away so I could use the program. This would happen when all the plug-ins and stuff were loading. If I took the plug in folder (with the ones I was trying to put in in it) out it would be fine. I know that’s not really the same thing.
Just looked and the actions are in C>Program Files>Adobe>Adobe Photoshop CS3 (mine is) Presets. Actions is in there. Maybe if copy/paste it elsewhere (for safekeeping) and take out all but a few of the actions in the file, open PS and try it and see. Though if it’s the error with actions overall, it probably would work okay with NO folder in it. If you follow me. Or, try copy/pasting the Actions folder from your CS4. I don’t know enough about it to know if it will work, but pretty sure most of the files like that are basically the same.
Something seems to be clashing and if it worked before and does in CS4 seems like the folder from CS5 might be the problem (something in it) I don’t have anything newer than CS3 and have put in files from CS2 (replacing them) and they worked. Also you might be able to find the folder on the setup CD, not sure about that.
I’m like you, though, I’d want it to work in case I needed it, and also I enjoy a challange (at least when my computer still works and it’s someone else’s challenge (LOL)
Also, I have CS3 so don’t know if 5 is different, I assume the files are basically the same.
I just realized you get the error when you use the automate>batch. Not just the actions. I was thinking maybe one of the actions was messing it up but don’t know how connected they are. There’s the other options like Contact Sheet. Now I’m confused again because I don’t know where to look for the batch command, overall. To replace it copy/paste with the CS4 one. Just don’t get rid of what you have till you see if something else works (not to imply you would do this, but I might have at one time LOL) In Presets there is a folder Scripts that has the photo merge which is in Automate batch.
Could you take out (save) the Presets folder, reinstall PS, then replace it with your former one and get the workspace, settings, etc? Was looking in Google and seems like the automate> batch stuff is a script.
Seems like someone here would know more about this. I’m still more into learning. Or trying to figure things out.
J
Joel
Oct 10, 2011
BF wrote:

It says you are few lucky ones. Cuz I have run into this issue quite often, and I don’t have no clue exactly what it doesn’t like.

All I know that it rarely happen if I work on the regular image, but I load the old DVD template (PSD format created many years ago) then there is a chance for it to happen. I only guess that there may be some incompatible between Older/Newer PSD (with multiple layers).

IOW, *if* it happens too often then you may seek for the answer, but it only happen once a moon then I would say FORGET IT and move on.
J
Joel
Oct 10, 2011
BF wrote:

All of a sudden if I try to use automated batch I get an error saying PS has encountered a problem and has to shut down. Does anyone have any Idea what would cause this when it worked fine?

BTW, in earlier message I didn’t mention that the old PSD template works quite well with 32-bit version, but it doesn’t like the 64-bit version. I am running Win7 64-bit, 16G of RAM

Also, it works a little better after I removed few layers. And I never had the issue with older 32-bit version. I don’t play much with the current 32-bit much to be able to compare how it works with Win7 64-bit.
J
JD
Oct 10, 2011
BF wrote:

You could try resetting your Photoshop Preferences:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

I guess you could backup the Preferences first, in case this doesn’t work and you want your old Preferences back. I’ve never tried that.

JD..
J
JD
Oct 10, 2011
Carrie wrote:
"Carrie" wrote in message
"BF" wrote in message
"BF" wrote in message

Check your preferences for your scratch disc allocation. It might be that, and/or a shortage of RAM issue, making CS5 choke on the automated
batch.
Can you reinstall PS?
was doing something big, or copy/pasting somethning long. Not sure what files are used for batch, but if you find out you could copy/paste the one from CS4 into the same place in CS5 (drag the one from
there out onto the desktop in case it doesn’t work and you have to put it
back) and see if it works.
look in program files and the PS CS5 folder and sub folders you might see
one.
I just realized you get the error when you use the automate>batch. Not just the actions. I was thinking maybe one of the actions was messing it up but don’t know how connected they are. There’s the other options like Contact Sheet. Now I’m confused again because I don’t know where to look for the batch command, overall. To replace it copy/paste with the CS4 one. Just don’t get rid of what you have till you see if something else works (not to imply you would do this, but I might have at one time LOL) In Presets there is a folder Scripts that has the photo merge which is in Automate batch.
Could you take out (save) the Presets folder, reinstall PS, then replace it with your former one and get the workspace, settings, etc? Was looking in Google and seems like the automate> batch stuff is a script.
Seems like someone here would know more about this. I’m still more into learning. Or trying to figure things out.

Please, look up Prattle.

JD..
U
Ulysses
Oct 10, 2011
BTW, in earlier message I didn’t mention that the old PSD template works quite well with 32-bit version, but it doesn’t like the 64-bit version. I am running Win7 64-bit, 16G of RAM

Also, it works a little better after I removed few layers. And I never had the issue with older 32-bit version. I don’t play much with the current
32-bit much to be able to compare how it works with Win7 64-bit.

have the same problem with win7-64bit
with photoshop cs5 32bit, i can add third
party software (plug-ins) but not 64bit
i only have 8gig of ram, so must use layers
carefully
B
BF
Oct 16, 2011
On 10/8/2011 10:43 PM, BF wrote:

The problem was with a CS5 update and the Twain scanner driver. If I disabled Twain, Auto Batch worked but I don’t have my scanner. Adobe blames the scanner driver but it worked fine until the CS5 update. So bottom line is I found the problem but don’t know how to fix it.
JJ
John J Stafford
Oct 20, 2011
In article <j7eqrq$l86$>, BF wrote:

The problem was with a CS5 update and the Twain scanner driver. If I disabled Twain, Auto Batch worked but I don’t have my scanner. Adobe blames the scanner driver but it worked fine until the CS5 update. So bottom line is I found the problem but don’t know how to fix it.

When I got CS5, I also got a promise for CS5.5 and installed it. Can you do the same? It’s an important upgrade.
S
Savageduck
Oct 20, 2011
On 2011-10-20 08:04:15 -0700, John J Stafford said:

In article <j7eqrq$l86$>, BF wrote:

When I got CS5, I also got a promise for CS5.5 and installed it. Can you do the same? It’s an important upgrade.

CS5.5 is not a Photoshop update.
The current version of Photoshop is CS5 Version 12.0.4 x64, not 5.5.

Adobe CS 5.5 was an upgrade for the Creative Suite and excluded Photoshop. This was specifically for work on mobile devices. Specifically for the development of interactive apps for Android, Blackberry, & iOS, and HTML5 content.
< http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20052157-1.html > As the lady says, if you are looking for an update for Photoshop CS5, move on.

This was also Adobe’s first offering on an optional subscription basis.

So there is no Photoshop CS5.5.

BTW: the reason for the true Photoshop CS5 version number being V. 12.0.4, is simply because it is the 12th version of Photoshop. Starting with PS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PS6, PS7, CS, CS2, CS3, CS4, & CS5.

Regards,

Savageduck
J
Joel
Oct 20, 2011
BF wrote:

Thanks for the information. I have never had problem between Photoshop vs TWAIN driver, and never had any TWAIN issue before the combination of Windows 7 64-bit and Epson Artisan 725 multi-printer I just got few months to replace the burnt (shorted circuit) RX680

I only use the printer to print DVD labels, and just found out that the TWAIN driver doesn’t work with Windows 7 64-bit. I have tried several different programs, even try to scan directly from the printer itself to memory card.

It reports communication error, and I know the scanner work as I did COPY dozen pages before (haven’t tried again).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections