C
Posted By
Carrie
Sep 19, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Checked in tonight before going to bed, and now an hour later, still here. Good discussions tonight and I feel like I learned a lot. This is how the ng should be. (could be if we ignore all the meaningless filler!)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

V
Voivod
Sep 19, 2011
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:10:52 -0400, "Carrie"
scribbled:

Checked in tonight before going to bed, and now an hour later, still here. Good discussions tonight and I feel like I learned a lot. This is how the ng should be. (could be if we ignore all the meaningless filler!)

We could… but you keep coming back.
R
RH
Sep 19, 2011
Voivod no ..

Shes making a generic comment, and whoever chooses to respond can and will.

And she made a valid point.

Quote " We could… but you keep coming back "

And by the way have you seen the latest news about a troll thats gone to prison, for 18 months.

The laws are changing now.

So Beware You are being watched Voivod

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036935/Natasha-MacB ryde-death-Facebook-internet-troll-Sean-Duffy-jailed.html

Regards
Life is Good !!!
C
Carrie
Sep 19, 2011
"Ritchie Valens" wrote in message
Voivod no ..

And by the way have you seen the latest news about a troll thats gone to prison, for 18 months.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036935/Natasha-MacB ryde-death-Facebook-internet-troll-Sean-Duffy-jailed.html

Since I have Voivod blocked I only see what he/she writes when it’s reposted. I can’t seem to believe a MAN would write such petty, catty things like this, and Voivod could be male or female name. Going by the article you posted the person doing it was autistic (and alcoholic) though I don’t know why his family, or someone in charge of him didn’t step in and do something, get him treatment, keep him away from the internet, etc. Doesn’t seem like going to jail is the answer, he apparently needs mental help. Just like the ones who do things like this on the newsgroups probably do.
And, as the father said "to get attention" (in a negative way) Doesn’t seem like anything a sane, mentally stable person (with any kind of life) would spend time doing.
I wonder how the "trolls" who try and drive people away, off the newsgroups would feel if eveyone did leave and stop posting? Would they get as much fun writing back and forth to each other? At some point there wouldn’t be anyone left. Maybe that’s the point, to feel so powerful they have driven everyone away.

Regards
Life is Good !!!
R
RH
Sep 19, 2011
Carrie,

Its called " Feeding the Troll " from the Aesop Story " The 3 Billy Gots gruff " lol
No you are right, this is a good Newsgroup, and a good side of the internet.
If everyone did leave then he would move on,

Enough said.

Regards

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:14:43 -0400, "Carrie"
wrote:

Voivod no ..

Since I have Voivod blocked I only see what he/she writes when it’s reposted. I can’t seem to believe a MAN would write such petty, catty things like this, and Voivod could be male or female name. Going by the article you posted the person doing it was autistic (and alcoholic) though I don’t know why his family, or someone in charge of him didn’t step in and do something, get him treatment, keep him away from the internet, etc. Doesn’t seem like going to jail is the answer, he apparently needs mental help. Just like the ones who do things like this on the newsgroups probably do.
And, as the father said "to get attention" (in a negative way) Doesn’t seem like anything a sane, mentally stable person (with any kind of life) would spend time doing.
I wonder how the "trolls" who try and drive people away, off the newsgroups would feel if eveyone did leave and stop posting? Would they get as much fun writing back and forth to each other? At some point there wouldn’t be anyone left. Maybe that’s the point, to feel so powerful they have driven everyone away.

Regards
Life is Good !!!

Life is Good !!!
I
idle
Sep 19, 2011
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:31:03 +0100, Ritchie Valens wrote in alt.graphics.photoshop:> Voivod no ..

Regards
Life is Good !!!

😉
I don’t see how UK law applies to someone living in a trailer in Florida.

Why do they call it an asteroid when it’s outside the hemisphere, but call it a hemorrhoid when it’s in your ass?
V
Voivod
Sep 19, 2011
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:31:03 +0100, Ritchie Valens
scribbled:

Voivod no ..

Voivod yes ..

Which is what I’ve done.

As did I.

Retroactive abortion for idiots?

Yeah, now if you could just get me extradited to the UK… or maybe if you READ the article and grasped how it has no correlation to what’s going on here.
C
Carrie
Sep 19, 2011
Carrie,

Its called " Feeding the Troll " from the Aesop Story " The 3 Billy Gots gruff " lol

Enough said.

There’s also the method of fishing "trolling". The way I understand it, the boats (Trollers) go along dragging nets in back and then pull them in to see what they have caught. That could be one aspect of it online. Throw out the bait and see who takes it?

Regards

wrote:

Voivod no ..

Since I have Voivod blocked I only see what he/she writes when it’s reposted. I can’t seem to believe a MAN would write such petty, catty things like this, and Voivod could be male or female name. Going by the article you posted the person doing it was autistic (and alcoholic) though I don’t know why his family, or someone in charge of him didn’t step in and do something, get him treatment, keep him away from the internet, etc. Doesn’t seem like going to jail is the answer, he apparently
needs mental help. Just like the ones who do things like this on the newsgroups probably do.
I wonder how the "trolls" who try and drive people away, off the newsgroups would feel if eveyone did leave and stop posting? Would they get
as much fun writing back and forth to each other? At some point there wouldn’t be anyone left. Maybe that’s the point, to feel so powerful they have driven everyone away.

Regards
Life is Good !!!

Life is Good !!!
C
Carrie
Sep 19, 2011
"idle" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:31:03 +0100, Ritchie Valens wrote in alt.graphics.photoshop:> Voivod no ..

Regards
Life is Good !!!

😉
I don’t see how it applies to someone with mental issues. Seems like it would be applied to whoever is in charge of the man, even though he is 25 he needs, or should have a keeper.

Why do they call it an asteroid when it’s outside the hemisphere, but call it a hemorrhoid when it’s in your ass?
CS
Craig Schiller
Sep 19, 2011
On 09/19/2011 11:53 AM, idle wrote:

Regards
Life is Good !!!

😉

You’re close. Actually, he lives, if you can call it that, in his Mom’s basement.
J
Jonz
Sep 19, 2011
Trailers have basements???

Jonz

On 9/19/2011 12:54 PM, Craig Schiller wrote:

Regards
Life is Good !!!

😉

You’re close. Actually, he lives, if you can call it that, in his Mom’s basement.
V
Voivod
Sep 19, 2011
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:54:53 -0400, Craig Schiller
scribbled:

Regards
Life is Good !!!

😉

You guys are fun! Seriously!

Too bad houses down here don’t have basements but better luck next time!
R
RH
Sep 19, 2011
lol
I thought they were Trawlers,

I learnt that from the TV Series the deadliest catch of the crab fishermen..

🙂

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:52:22 -0400, "Carrie"
wrote:

Carrie,

Enough said.

There’s also the method of fishing "trolling". The way I understand it, the boats (Trollers) go along dragging nets in back and then pull them in to see what they have caught. That could be one aspect of it online. Throw out the bait and see who takes it?

Regards

wrote:

Voivod no ..

Since I have Voivod blocked I only see what he/she writes when it’s reposted. I can’t seem to believe a MAN would write such petty, catty things like this, and Voivod could be male or female name. Going by the article you posted the person doing it was autistic (and alcoholic) though I don’t know why his family, or someone in charge of him didn’t step in and do something, get him treatment, keep him away from the internet, etc. Doesn’t seem like going to jail is the answer, he apparently
needs mental help. Just like the ones who do things like this on the newsgroups probably do.
I wonder how the "trolls" who try and drive people away, off the newsgroups would feel if eveyone did leave and stop posting? Would they get
as much fun writing back and forth to each other? At some point there wouldn’t be anyone left. Maybe that’s the point, to feel so powerful they have driven everyone away.

Regards
Life is Good !!!

Life is Good !!!

Life is Good !!!
R
RH
Sep 20, 2011
lol

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:53:49 -0700, idle wrote:

Regards
Life is Good !!!

😉

Life is Good !!!
C
Carrie
Sep 20, 2011
lol

Oh, that’s probably it. When I was a child we had a big old cabinet radio that got short wave, too. I used to hear ship to shore calls and they’d refer to them as the "Trawler- whatever the name was". Sounds the same. I still think it fits with "trollers" on the internet LOL

🙂

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:52:22 -0400, "Carrie"
wrote:

Carrie,

Enough said.

There’s also the method of fishing "trolling". The way I understand it, the
boats (Trollers) go along dragging nets in back and then pull them in to see
what they have caught. That could be one aspect of it online. Throw out the
bait and see who takes it?

Regards

wrote:

Voivod no ..

Since I have Voivod blocked I only see what he/she writes when it’s reposted. I can’t seem to believe a MAN would write such petty, catty things like this, and Voivod could be male or female name. Going by the article you posted the person doing it was autistic (and alcoholic) though I don’t know why his family, or someone in charge of him
didn’t step in and do something, get him treatment, keep him away from the
internet, etc. Doesn’t seem like going to jail is the answer, he apparently
And, as the father said "to get attention" (in a negative way) Doesn’t seem like anything a sane, mentally stable person (with any kind of life)
would spend time doing.
as much fun writing back and forth to each other? At some point there wouldn’t be anyone left. Maybe that’s the point, to feel so powerful they
have driven everyone away.

Regards
Life is Good !!!

Life is Good !!!

Life is Good !!!
S
Savageduck
Sep 20, 2011
On 2011-09-20 06:37:15 -0700, "Carrie" said:

lol

Oh, that’s probably it. When I was a child we had a big old cabinet radio that got short wave, too. I used to hear ship to shore calls and they’d refer to them as the "Trawler- whatever the name was". Sounds the same. I still think it fits with "trollers" on the internet LOL

In fishing terms "trawling" & "trolling" are two very different things.

Trawling, is the drawing of a massive open mouthed net across the ocean floor. The mouth of the net is held open by steel plates on either side. This method of fishing is extremely damaging to the ocean floor and indiscriminate as to what is caught and/or killed. As such it is not very enviro-friendly. In the Gulf of Mexico special modifications had to be made to the trawl nets to make them turtle safe as that population was threatened.

Trolling for most anglers means trailing a single line and hook baited with a lure, or bait, behind a slowly moving boat. This imitates the movement of a bait fish through the water. This is without reference to the Brothers Grimm, grotesque guardian of the bridge, "Troll".

In the usenet World "troll" and "trolling" refer to both the grotesque character and the method of fishing where the antisocial "troll" fishes the usenet waters by "trolling" with bait in the form of a deceptive, camouflaged subject.

Regards,

Savageduck
C
Carrie
Sep 20, 2011
"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
On 2011-09-20 06:37:15 -0700, "Carrie" said:

lol

Oh, that’s probably it. When I was a child we had a big old cabinet radio
that got short wave, too. I used to hear ship to shore calls and they’d refer to them as the "Trawler- whatever the name was". Sounds the same. I still think it fits with "trollers" on the internet LOL

In fishing terms "trawling" & "trolling" are two very different things.
Trawling, is the drawing of a massive open mouthed net across the ocean floor. The mouth of the net is held open by steel plates on either side. This method of fishing is extremely damaging to the ocean floor and indiscriminate as to what is caught and/or killed. As such it is not very enviro-friendly. In the Gulf of Mexico special modifications had to be made to the trawl nets to make them turtle safe as that population was threatened.

Trolling for most anglers means trailing a single line and hook baited with a lure, or bait, behind a slowly moving boat. This imitates the movement of a bait fish through the water. This is without reference to the Brothers Grimm, grotesque guardian of the bridge, "Troll".
In the usenet World "troll" and "trolling" refer to both the grotesque character and the method of fishing where the antisocial "troll" fishes the usenet waters by "trolling" with bait in the form of a deceptive, camouflaged subject.

Thanks… learn something new everyday. I had a feeling troll also referred to "throwing out bait" and thus also refers to internet "trolls" who do this. Say stuff and see what they get back, in a negative way. Also the troll under the bridge idea. It’s a fitting name, but also I’ve seen it get thrown out just to make someone else look bad. It’s like "all’s fair on unmoderated internet". And it’s not all that fair ON moderated, with someone in charge. In a way it’s like a mini "world" of it’s own.

Regards,

Savageduck
U
Ulysses
Sep 20, 2011
Trailers have basements???
actually he dug a hole in his house trailer to play with himself
R
RH
Sep 20, 2011
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:37:15 -0400, "Carrie"
wrote:

For many of us the best memories of life were as kids.

I remember Shortwave radios, and listening to stories on the British World Service.
Life is Good !!!
JJ
John J Stafford
Sep 21, 2011
In article ,
Ritchie Valens wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036935/Natasha-MacB ryde-death-Faceboo k-internet-troll-Sean-Duffy-jailed.html

Totally different case. Void-Brain is a simple sociopath.
C
Carrie
Sep 21, 2011
wrote:

that got short wave, too. I used to hear ship to shore calls and they’d refer to them as the "Trawler- whatever the name was". Sounds the same. I still think it fits with "trollers" on the internet LOL

I remember Shortwave radios, and listening to stories on the British World Service.
Life is Good !!!

We didn’t have a TV till I was 11. I’d make a bed of blankets and pillows, with books, coloring books, and such around me in front of the big cabinet radio. Listen to the radio shows (some were later TV shows) Listen to the shortwave bands at night. Radio Free Europe and Radio Havana with it’s on-going talk. People talking on shortwave, or in foreign countries (I couldn’t understand).
Do people still have shortwave and CB radios? Now with the internet, cell phones, smart phones, etc. Just thought of that.
I’m surprised someone hasn’t lectured us here about being OT (LOL) But, at least it’s a good discussion and not mean-spirited. Well, maybe it is on-topic, about trolls.
R
RH
Sep 21, 2011
Carrie,

We still have shortwave radio.
CB radio is in the shorwave radio frequencies.

The reason SW is popular is because the signal travels for miles.

Regards

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 22:27:40 -0400, "Carrie"
wrote:

wrote:

Life is Good !!!

We didn’t have a TV till I was 11. I’d make a bed of blankets and pillows, with books, coloring books, and such around me in front of the big cabinet radio. Listen to the radio shows (some were later TV shows) Listen to the shortwave bands at night. Radio Free Europe and Radio Havana with it’s on-going talk. People talking on shortwave, or in foreign countries (I couldn’t understand).
Do people still have shortwave and CB radios? Now with the internet, cell phones, smart phones, etc. Just thought of that.
I’m surprised someone hasn’t lectured us here about being OT (LOL) But, at least it’s a good discussion and not mean-spirited. Well, maybe it is on-topic, about trolls.

Life is Good !!!
C
Carrie
Sep 21, 2011
Carrie,

And bounces off the moon… the original communication satellite.

Regards

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 22:27:40 -0400, "Carrie"
wrote:

wrote:

Life is Good !!!

We didn’t have a TV till I was 11. I’d make a bed of blankets and pillows,
with books, coloring books, and such around me in front of the big cabinet radio. Listen to the radio shows (some were later TV shows) Listen to the shortwave bands at night. Radio Free Europe and Radio Havana with it’s on-going talk. People talking on shortwave, or in foreign countries (I couldn’t understand).
Do people still have shortwave and CB radios? Now with the internet, cell
phones, smart phones, etc. Just thought of that.
I’m surprised someone hasn’t lectured us here about being OT (LOL) But, at least it’s a good discussion and not mean-spirited. Well, maybe it
is on-topic, about trolls.

Life is Good !!!
S
Savageduck
Sep 21, 2011
On 2011-09-21 06:53:06 -0700, "Carrie" said:

Carrie,

Wrong!

The signal bounces off the ionosphere, part of the upper atmosphere. The ionosphere is ionized by solar radiation, and it plays an important part in atmospheric electricity. It is practically important because it influences radio propagation around the Earth.
It is also the reason those SW radio signals are effected with electrical noise (which most folks referred to as "static") and why phenomena such as "Sun spots" effect short wave transmission. It is also the reason for FM, and why it is so noise free as it uses a line of sight transmission completely avoiding the ionosphere.

Regards,

Savageduck
C
Carrie
Sep 21, 2011

Carrie,

Wrong!

The signal bounces off the ionosphere, part of the upper atmosphere. The ionosphere is ionized by solar radiation, and it plays an important part in atmospheric electricity. It is practically important because it influences radio propagation around the Earth.
It is also the reason those SW radio signals are effected with electrical noise (which most folks referred to as "static") and why phenomena such as "Sun spots" effect short wave transmission.
It is also the reason for FM, and why it is so noise free as it uses a line of sight transmission completely avoiding the ionosphere.

I liked the idea of them bouncing off the moon LOL

Regards,

Savageduck
R
RH
Sep 21, 2011
Shes only 5% wrong 🙂

It does bounce off the ionosphere like you correctly said.

Every 7 years the sunspot cycles create havoc on certain RF ( Radio Frequencies )
Wrong!

It is also the reason those SW radio signals are effected with electrical noise (which most folks referred to as "static") and why phenomena such as "Sun spots" effect short wave transmission. It is also the reason for FM, and why it is so noise free as it uses a line of sight transmission completely avoiding the ionosphere.

Life is Good !!!
S
Savageduck
Sep 21, 2011
On 2011-09-21 15:23:51 -0700, Ritchie Valens said:

Shes only 5% wrong 🙂

SW frequencies bouncing off the Moon is only 5% wrong?
Please explain that logic.
I think you should reevaluate your understanding of propagation of radio waves in the usual SW RF bandwidths. The Moon has no involvement at all with shortwave radio.

I’m glad you agree.

Every 7 years the sunspot cycles create havoc on certain RF ( Radio Frequencies )

Yup!

The effect of solar radiation on the ionosphere is also the reason shortwave reception is better at night.

Wrong!

Life is Good !!!

Regards,

Savageduck
C
Carrie
Sep 22, 2011
On 2011-09-21 15:23:51 -0700, Ritchie Valens said:

Shes only 5% wrong 🙂

SW frequencies bouncing off the Moon is only 5% wrong?
Please explain that logic.
I think you should reevaluate your understanding of propagation of radio waves in the usual SW RF bandwidths. The Moon has no involvement at all with shortwave radio.

I’m glad you agree.

Yup!

The effect of solar radiation on the ionosphere is also the reason shortwave reception is better at night.

Maybe this is where I got it from…

Wrong!

Life is Good !!!

Regards,

Savageduck
R
RH
Sep 22, 2011
lol

Looks like we have a self appointed Mr Know it all.

Regards

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 07:19:57 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

Carrie,

Wrong!

Life is Good !!!
JJ
John J Stafford
Sep 22, 2011
In article <wYbeq.33129$>,
"Carrie" wrote:

My Brother-in-law was a shortwave fanatic all his life. He had an antennae stretched over 100 yards over his farm, and shorter ones at odd angles. He used to bring us news that was shocking, some of it debatable as first-person.

Four years ago he said that the Internet has taken over the same role, however just recently he said that short-wave has become the internet’s undernet. Life has resumed its interesting communication.
S
Savageduck
Sep 22, 2011
On 2011-09-21 17:51:16 -0700, Ritchie Valens said:

lol

Looks like we have a self appointed Mr Know it all.

That is disingenuous of you, considering that I have been nothing but courteous in this discussion.

When I have knowledge of a subject, be it an issue with Photoshop, or when I see somebody who has the wrong idea of a concept, such as that brought up in this sub-thread regarding SW RF propagation, I try to bring some clarity to the muddied information.
When a statement is made and it is undoubtably wrong, I will challenge it.

….but if you would prefer to remain blissfully uninformed, who am I to intrude on your ignorance.

Regards,

Savageduck
R
RH
Sep 22, 2011
Now, computing and amateur radio works together.

Its called packet radio, and has been around for a long time.

I have managed to speak to someone nearly 2000 miles away on a 1/4 watt hand held, which was hard to believe at the time

Regards

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:01:47 -0500, John J Stafford
wrote:

"Carrie" wrote:

My Brother-in-law was a shortwave fanatic all his life. He had an antennae stretched over 100 yards over his farm, and shorter ones at odd angles. He used to bring us news that was shocking, some of it debatable as first-person.

Four years ago he said that the Internet has taken over the same role, however just recently he said that short-wave has become the internet’s undernet. Life has resumed its interesting communication.

Life is Good !!!
C
Carrie
Sep 22, 2011
"John J Stafford" wrote in message
"Carrie" wrote:

My uncle had a "radio shack" in his yard. Long time ago, when I was a child (and that was a long time ago), I didn’t realize at the time he was involved in starting the first radio station in MA. It might be the first one in the country, but they had a fire in the 50’s (the station) that burned a lot of the records so they can’t prove it. I learned this when I inherted a lot of his pictures and papers, and got in touch with a radio historian, who was very interested in them, and I donated them. Though nothing in them could prove it WAS the first radion station in the country. Had info and stories about how they had to maintain the towers and actually climb up them to fix things. I don’t understand all that, but to do with transmitting and frequencies, and such. Radio-electronics it might have been called. Hard to imagine what a big deal it was at the time. And being in touch like that. When I first got online and learned there was an instant message program called ICQ I realized that was from radio talk. C-Q looking for someone to talk to.
Later, when I was in my teens/20’s I had a short wave receiver and got into listening to the calls, and wanted to get a license and a transciever. I got to know some of the people who did, and was a SWL. I used to make attempts at learning morse code, which was required for the license (first step) Don’t remember much, and never did learn to read/send it very fast. Makes one wonder what will be next, if the internet and cell phones, etc is like short wave and radio was "back then". I’ve read the some think the next step will be having communication devices implanted so we can communicate without having a computer, phone, etc.
I used to love listening to people from around the country and world.
C
Carrie
Sep 22, 2011

I have managed to speak to someone nearly 2000 miles away on a 1/4 watt hand held, which was hard to believe at the time

Regards

There’s also Skype and such.

wrote:

"Carrie" wrote:

Life is Good !!!
K
Kele
Sep 22, 2011
Not long ago, I worked aboard the USS Battleship Missouri, a tourist destiny now. People are still communicating with morse code! I watched the radio operators a few times using the "vibroplex" to tap out their communications amazingly fast in a form of short-hand. There is a website where radio operators can punch in a call sign, and if listed, details about the destination is specified. Morse code is preferable in some cases as it is a universal language around the world.

http://kh6bb.org/
C
Carrie
Sep 22, 2011
"Kele" wrote in message
Not long ago, I worked aboard the USS Battleship Missouri, a tourist destiny now. People are still communicating with morse code! I watched the radio operators a few times using the "vibroplex" to tap out their communications amazingly fast in a form of short-hand. There is a website where radio operators can punch in a call sign, and if listed, details about the destination is specified. Morse code is preferable in some cases as it is a universal language around the world.

http://kh6bb.org/
That’s ome ship!
R
RH
Sep 22, 2011
Yep True,

I think skypes trying to take over the world 😉

VOIP ( Voice Over Internet Protocol )

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:12:06 -0400, "Carrie"
wrote:

Regards

There’s also Skype and such.

wrote:

"Carrie" wrote:

Life is Good !!!

Life is Good !!!
JJ
John J Stafford
Sep 23, 2011
In article ,
Ritchie Valens wrote:

In fact, amateur radio people invented the first proofed protocol called at the the, "aloha". Way before the internet.
T
Talker
Sep 24, 2011
Okay, the ionosphere does reflect some radio waves back to Earth, but not all. Many amateur radio operators use moon bounce to send signals, but it’s more of something to play with. You need a very high frequency transmitter and an antenna array to accomplish this….something along the lines of a helical array.
The term ICQ means what it stands for…I seek you, just like in ham radio, the CQ means seek you.
While amateur radio is still active around the world, there have been lots of changes in it. Now, with a walkie-talkie and using a duplex repeater, you can talk to other amateurs all over the world. (I once talked to a guy in Nagasaki, Japan and I was in passing through Maryland.)
Ham operators were the ones to develop what is now the cell phone. Many years before we had cell phones, hams had touch tone pads on their walkie-talkies, and by punching in a three digit number, they were tied in to a phone line through a local radio club’s repeater. Once they had a dial tone, they just punched in the phone number of whoever they wanted. When they were finished the call, they punched in one digit and the phone line was disconnected.
As for Morse Code, this was a requirement to get your Ham license. The purpose of the goverment issuing ham licenses was so that if a war broke out, the government would have a source of trained radio operators that knew how to operate a radio station and could understand Morse Code. The reason they use Morse Code is because it takes up little bandwidth to send and that allows it to be sent further than voice communications…..especially when there is interference on the airwaves, either man made or naturally occuring. Morse Code will punch through when voice can’t….even single sideband.

Talker
(ps. I’m not a know-it-all, I’ve just been an amateur radio operator for 46 years.)
V
Voivod
Sep 24, 2011
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 03:41:32 -0400, scribbled:

Okay, the ionosphere does reflect some radio waves back to Earth, but not all. Many amateur radio operators use moon bounce to send signals, but it’s more of something to play with. You need a very high frequency transmitter and an antenna array to accomplish this….something along the lines of a helical array.
The term ICQ means what it stands for…I seek you, just like in ham radio, the CQ means seek you.
While amateur radio is still active around the world, there have been lots of changes in it. Now, with a walkie-talkie and using a duplex repeater, you can talk to other amateurs all over the world. (I once talked to a guy in Nagasaki, Japan and I was in passing through Maryland.)
Ham operators were the ones to develop what is now the cell phone. Many years before we had cell phones, hams had touch tone pads on their walkie-talkies, and by punching in a three digit number, they were tied in to a phone line through a local radio club’s repeater. Once they had a dial tone, they just punched in the phone number of whoever they wanted. When they were finished the call, they punched in one digit and the phone line was disconnected.
As for Morse Code, this was a requirement to get your Ham license. The purpose of the goverment issuing ham licenses was so that if a war broke out, the government would have a source of trained radio operators that knew how to operate a radio station and could understand Morse Code. The reason they use Morse Code is because it takes up little bandwidth to send and that allows it to be sent further than voice communications…..especially when there is interference on the airwaves, either man made or naturally occuring. Morse Code will punch through when voice can’t….even single sideband.

Talker
(ps. I’m not a know-it-all, I’ve just been an amateur radio operator for 46 years.)

Hey, fucktards. PHOTOSHOP. Take your douchebag radio conversations to an appropriate group.
R
RH
Sep 24, 2011
Talker, Great info.

Thanks

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 03:41:32 -0400, wrote:

Talker

Life is Good !!!
R
RH
Sep 24, 2011
Hey, Voivod. PHOTOSHOP. Take your trolling conversations to an appropriate group.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 07:28:25 -0400, Voivod wrote:

Hey, fucktards. PHOTOSHOP. Take your douchebag radio conversations to an appropriate group.

Life is Good !!!
U
Ulysses
Sep 24, 2011
Hey, Voivod. PHOTOSHOP. Take your trolling conversations to an appropriate group.

Life is Good !!!
Hee Hee Ha Ha
V
Voivod
Sep 24, 2011
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 12:58:50 +0100, Ritchie Valens
scribbled:

Wow, you’re so like, clever, copying what I do… monkey see, monkey do. It’s…wow you’re so fucking impressive I may shit myself in excitement.

You’ve even got Ulysses so impressed that he’s ready to blow you. Awesome job!
U
Ulysses
Sep 24, 2011
Talker
Same here. i became a ham in 1965
letters are K8*** (sorry i can’t complete, security) was very active at beginning, with DX, had 70′ tower with tri-band beam still have license, but inactive
thanks for sharing
JJ
John J Stafford
Sep 25, 2011
In article ,
wrote:

While amateur radio is still active around the world, there have been lots of changes in it. [….]

And they were the ones to invent the first packet protocol called Aloha decades ago.
T
Talker
Sep 25, 2011
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:38:22 -0400, "Ulysses" wrote:

Talker
letters are K8*** (sorry i can’t complete, security) was very active at beginning, with DX, had 70′ tower with tri-band beam still have license, but inactive
thanks for sharing

I got my license in 1964…letters are WA3***. I preferred Morse Code over voice, and still have a semi-automatic bug.(I got it from Lafayette Radio Electronics…..if you remember them.) I had a tri-band quad on a 35 foot tower until an ice storm destroyed the quad. I then got a tri-band beam with a Ham IV rotor and used that until a tornadoe touched down and took down the whole thing. I still have my license but I’m also inactive.

Talker
U
Ulysses
Sep 25, 2011
<
I got my license in 1964…letters are WA3***. I preferred Morse Code over voice, and still have a semi-automatic bug.(I got it from Lafayette Radio Electronics…..if you remember them.) I had a tri-band quad on a 35 foot tower until an ice storm destroyed the quad. I then got a tri-band beam with a Ham IV rotor and used that until a tornadoe touched down and took down the whole thing. I still have my license but I’m also inactive.

Talker
I also used CW when a rare DX came thru
problem was brain waves could not copy too fast
still have key and keyer somewhere in attic
ps: became bored when everything became automatic
auto search, auto contact, auto reply, etc.
nice chat, sorry we can’t get personal on 40m-cw
C
Carrie
Sep 26, 2011
wrote in message

Talker

Good info!
C
Carrie
Sep 26, 2011

Life is Good !!!

I guess is a photoshop forum is okay for name calling and put downs and insults, it’s okay for talking about radio waves…
C
Carrie
Sep 26, 2011
"Ulysses" wrote in message
Talker
thanks for sharing

Are there any websites that let a person listen to ham radio? Like there are radio stations that now have streaming on websites and some of the police scanners (cities) are online..
I guess I could ask google LOL
J
JD
Sep 27, 2011
Carrie wrote:

Life is Good !!!

I guess is a photoshop forum is okay for name calling and put downs and insults, it’s okay for talking about radio waves…

Not really. A troll is a troll:

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

"radio waves" has nothing to do with PS.

JD..
T
Talker
Sep 28, 2011
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:09:27 -0500, JD wrote:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

You are right JD. My apologizes to the group for going so far off topic.

Talker
C
Carrie
Sep 29, 2011
"JD" wrote in message
Carrie wrote:

Hey, fucktards. PHOTOSHOP. Take your douchebag radio conversations to an
appropriate group.

Life is Good !!!

Not really. A troll is a troll:

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

A lot of stuff posted here has nothing to do with PS.

JD..
R
RH
Sep 30, 2011
True .. 🙂

A lot of stuff posted here has nothing to do with PS.

JD..

Life is Good !!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections