A
Posted By
alan
Jul 28, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop 6 and I find that if I set my monitor to a very high resolution, the palettes, the toolbox and the menu names along the top of the screen are too small to see properly.

Is there a way I can control the size of these items independently of resolution?

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
Savageduck
Jul 28, 2011
On 2011-07-28 00:49:46 -0700, alan said:

I have Photoshop 6 and I find that if I set my monitor to a very high resolution, the palettes, the toolbox and the menu names along the top of the screen are too small to see properly.

There are still two questions here;
1: What screen resolution are you using?

2: Why?

Is there a way I can control the size of these items independently of resolution?

Thanks.

Not really.
Consider that a 20-24 inch display, set at 1920 x 1080 is going to do a pretty good job, and going to a higher resolution is going to result in the problems you are experiencing. You are not going to gain any real World benefit by setting the "screen resolution very high".

Regards,

Savageduck
K
Kele
Jul 28, 2011
I think 1920×1080 on a 23" monitor is pretty small; maybe the OP thinks so too. If using a PC, access Display properties/General tab and play with the DPI (try 100-110) – this is independent of the resolution. It blows up the desktop icons which then become pixelated, so it’s a trade off *. Using the display’s native resolution does make for a sharper images and text. Go here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php and see that the gamma chart does not function well when the display is not set to its native resolution… switch your monitor to its native and you will see the difference.

* some programs are also adversly affected by changing DPI from the default… the increased text size runs outside the program’s locked column width. These programs that cannot be resized are rare, however.

"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
Consider that a 20-24 inch display, set at 1920 x 1080 is going to do a pretty good job, and going to a higher resolution is going to result in the problems you are experiencing. You are not going to gain any real World benefit by setting the "screen resolution very high". —
Regards,
Savageduck
S
Savageduck
Jul 28, 2011
On 2011-07-28 13:39:28 -0700, "Kele" said:

I think 1920×1080 on a 23" monitor is pretty small; maybe the OP thinks so too. If using a PC, access Display properties/General tab and play with the DPI (try 100-110) – this is independent of the resolution. It blows up the desktop icons which then become pixelated, so it’s a trade off *. Using the display’s native resolution does make for a sharper images and text. Go here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php and see that the gamma chart does not function well when the display is not set to its native resolution… switch your monitor to its native and you will see the difference.

* some programs are also adversly affected by changing DPI from the default… the increased text size runs outside the program’s locked column width. These programs that cannot be resized are rare, however.

….and that was my point.
The native resolution on my 21" monitor is 1920 x 1080, and while the icons and text appears "smaller" than it did on my old 17" at 1280 x 1024.

I maintain calibration on my monitor with a Pantone huey, which in the face of some mixed reviews, has proven to be reliable for the last 18 months.

Consider that a 20-24 inch display, set at 1920 x 1080 is going to do a pretty good job, and going to a higher resolution is going to result in the problems you are experiencing. You are not going to gain any real World benefit by setting the "screen resolution very high". —
Regards,
Savageduck

Regards,

Savageduck
S
Savageduck
Jul 28, 2011
On 2011-07-28 14:17:11 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

On 2011-07-28 13:39:28 -0700, "Kele" said:

…and that was my point.
The native resolution on my 21" monitor is 1920 x 1080, and while the icons and text appears "smaller" than it did on my old 17" at 1280 x 1024.

I meant to add that I find no difficulty reading any text or identifying icons.

BTW: top posting is a PIA.

I maintain calibration on my monitor with a Pantone huey, which in the face of some mixed reviews, has proven to be reliable for the last 18 months.

Regards,
Savageduck

Regards,

Savageduck
B
Bigguy2010
Jul 29, 2011
On 28/07/2011 22:20, Savageduck wrote:
On 2011-07-28 14:17:11 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

Regards,
Savageduck
I’m using a 24" Dell at 1920 x 1200 here with CS5. Text and menus are perfect size-wise.

On the 20" (1920 x 1080) I have things are a little small but still usable.

How’s your eye sight? 😉

G
S
Savageduck
Jul 29, 2011
On 2011-07-29 06:08:27 -0700, Bigguy2010 said:

Regards,
Savageduck
I’m using a 24" Dell at 1920 x 1200 here with CS5. Text and menus are perfect size-wise.

How’s your eye sight? 😉

G

My eye sight is just fine. 😉

….and you aren’t using a significantly different resolution to me, just a slightly different aspect ratio. I am not the individual with the problem my 1920 x 1080 setting is just fine for me and CS5.

Unfortunately indiscriminate "snipping" in responses starts to make attribution tough and destroys context. So review the entire thread to see the context.

The guy who seems to be having issues wrapping his head around the concept of display resolution is the OP, Alan, who is using PS6. In his OP, which was edited from my response by "Kele" he said the following:

"I have Photoshop 6 and I find that if I set my monitor to a very high resolution, the palettes, the toolbox and the menu names along the top of the screen are too small to see properly.

Is there a way I can control the size of these items independently of resolution?"

I have a feeling the OP believes he is going to achieve some sort of benefit from increasing the monitor resolution beyond the native resolution. He has yet to tell us what he was trying to gain from doing that.

Regards,

Savageduck
J
jaSPAMc
Jul 30, 2011
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> found these unused words:

Regards,
Savageduck

How’s your eye sight? 😉

G

…and you aren’t using a significantly different resolution to me, just a slightly different aspect ratio. I am not the individual with the problem my 1920 x 1080 setting is just fine for me and CS5.
Unfortunately indiscriminate "snipping" in responses starts to make attribution tough and destroys context. So review the entire thread to see the context.

The guy who seems to be having issues wrapping his head around the concept of display resolution is the OP, Alan, who is using PS6. In his OP, which was edited from my response by "Kele" he said the following:
"I have Photoshop 6 and I find that if I set my monitor to a very high resolution, the palettes, the toolbox and the menu names along the top of the screen are too small to see properly.

Is there a way I can control the size of these items independently of resolution?"

I have a feeling the OP believes he is going to achieve some sort of benefit from increasing the monitor resolution beyond the native resolution. He has yet to tell us what he was trying to gain from doing that.

There’s only one resolution you should use for any computer graphics program, PS or whatever.

If it’s a flat panel, then that’s the ‘Native’ resolution. Anthing higher is trying to squeeze two pixels into one or three into two or …! Net result is LOSS of sharpness and much more difficult use.

If it’s still a tube, then the resolution is determined by a formula based on the shadow mask dot pitch. from thst ‘capable’ resolution you then have to set the width and height so that one pixel falls on one triad.
S
Savageduck
Jul 30, 2011
On 2011-07-30 06:53:35 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien said:

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> found these unused words:

Regards,
Savageduck

How’s your eye sight? 😉

G

…and you aren’t using a significantly different resolution to me, just a slightly different aspect ratio. I am not the individual with the problem my 1920 x 1080 setting is just fine for me and CS5.

There’s only one resolution you should use for any computer graphics program, PS or whatever.

If it’s a flat panel, then that’s the ‘Native’ resolution. Anthing higher is trying to squeeze two pixels into one or three into two or …! Net result is LOSS of sharpness and much more difficult use.

If it’s still a tube, then the resolution is determined by a formula based on the shadow mask dot pitch. from thst ‘capable’ resolution you then have to set the width and height so that one pixel falls on one triad.

Agreed.

That was why I was curious as to what the OP thought he was going to achieve by setting his monitor to a "very high resolution" which has created problems for him.

I notice he has yet to return to the thread he initiated.

Regards,

Savageduck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections