R
Posted By
rdoc2
Feb 9, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When using the crop tool and I want to crop a certain size for example say 8 inches by 10 inches which I put that size in the width and height boxes now should I put in the resolution that I want for printing or leave it blank? I am putting in these sizes just before printing. Now let me also ask if I weren’t going to print and I was using the cropping just to size for the web would I put in the resolution?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

N
nomail
Feb 9, 2011
RDOC wrote:
When using the crop tool and I want to crop a certain size for example say 8 inches by 10 inches which I put that size in the width and height boxes now should I put in the resolution that I want for printing or leave it blank? I am putting in these sizes just before printing. Now let me also ask if I weren’t going to print and I was using the cropping just to size for the web would I put in the resolution?

In case of printing you can indeed use 240 ppi or 300 ppi as resolution, but you have to be aware that Photoshop will *always* resize the image to 8 x 10 inch at that resoution, even if you select a very small part of the image. In other words: if you select a too small part, Photoshop will interpolate (upsize) that part to get the dimensions you specified.

In case of web the resolution is meaningless because web browsers do not use resolution settings. It’s better to use pixel dimensions in that case and leave the resolution blank.

Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer, www.johanfoto.com
J
Joel
Feb 9, 2011
RDOC wrote:

1. As a photographer one always leave some room for cropping. Same with after done retouching always leave some room for future cropping.

2. 8:10 Ratio Aspect (or 4:5 or 2:2.5). IOW, think about RATIO ASPECT instead of inches.

After you select (or type in) 8:10 Photoshop will allow you to draw/select any part of the original photo to 4:5 Ratio Aspect. Then you can print to either 4×5, 8×10, 16×20, 32×40 and so on (printing qualiity will depend on the PPI)

3. Web Display, you chose whatever please your eyes. Photoshop use "Resolution" as "PPI", and some people look at the resolution as W x H so I can give you some sample to start with, then increase/decrease to your liking.

PPI = something like 70-75 PPI may do
Compression (quality) = something like 7-8 may do.

I haven’t done for web for many years, but when Dial Up Modem was popular, and with older Photoshop I used to save at 75% (compression) to keep the size small enough for DUN user (now they change to Quality 1-12)
R
rdoc2
Feb 9, 2011
On Feb 9, 4:22 pm, Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
RDOC wrote:

In case of printing you can indeed use 240 ppi or 300 ppi as resolution, but you have to be aware that Photoshop will *always* resize the image to 8 x 10 inch at that resoution, even if you select a very small part of the image. In other words: if you select a too small part, Photoshop will interpolate (upsize) that part to get the dimensions you specified.
In case of web the resolution is meaningless because web browsers do not use resolution settings. It’s better to use pixel dimensions in that case and leave the resolution blank.

Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer,  www.johanfoto.com

Thanks Johan.
R
rdoc2
Feb 10, 2011
On Feb 9, 6:08 pm, Joel wrote:
RDOC wrote:

1. As a photographer one always leave some room for cropping.  Same with after done retouching always leave some room for future cropping.
2. 8:10 Ratio Aspect (or 4:5 or 2:2.5). IOW, think about RATIO ASPECT instead of inches.

After you select (or type in) 8:10 Photoshop will allow you to draw/select any part of the original photo to 4:5 Ratio Aspect.  Then you can print to either 4×5, 8×10, 16×20, 32×40 and so on (printing qualiity will depend on the PPI)

3. Web Display, you chose whatever please your eyes.  Photoshop use "Resolution" as "PPI", and some people look at the resolution as W x H so I can give you some sample to start with, then increase/decrease to your liking.

PPI     = something like 70-75 PPI may do
Compression (quality) = something like 7-8 may do.

I haven’t done for web for many years, but when Dial Up Modem was popular, and with older Photoshop I used to save at 75% (compression) to keep the size small enough for DUN user (now they change to Quality 1-12)

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections