Posted By
Andy
Jan 11, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I have a bitmap image and when I open it in Photoshop or similar I get a lot of extra black dots / detail around the image. Is there any fast way of avoiding this or getting rid of these black dots / pixels.

Thanks,

Andy 😉

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
John Stafford
Jan 11, 2011
In article
Andy wrote:

Hi all,

I have a bitmap image and when I open it in Photoshop or similar I get a lot of extra black dots / detail around the image. Is there any fast way of avoiding this or getting rid of these black dots / pixels.
Thanks,

Andy 😉

Try converting it to greyscale. That’s Image -> Mode -> Greyscale, then File -> Save As -> PNG
J
Joel
Jan 11, 2011
John Stafford wrote:

In article
Andy wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Andy 😉

Try converting it to greyscale. That’s Image -> Mode -> Greyscale, then File -> Save As -> PNG

I don’t think a poor-quality image will get better-quality by converting to different format. Or the quality would be SAME->WORSE than the original *not* better
U
Ulysses
Jan 12, 2011
"Joel" wrote in message
John Stafford wrote:

In article
Andy wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Andy 😉

I don’t think a poor-quality image will get better-quality by converting to different format. Or the quality would be SAME->WORSE than the original
*not* better
I agree completely and, of course he could use the clone tool i have taken old photos and carefully remove scratches and age marks it is a pain staking job. so he has to ask himself "is the photo worth it to restore"
L
Lazarus
Jan 12, 2011
I can’t seem to duplicate "black dots" on a bmp. John, why convert to black & white (grayscale)? And then why convert to PNG?

————–
"John Stafford" wrote:
In article
Andy wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Andy 😉

JS
John Stafford
Jan 12, 2011
In article <4d2e181a$0$1073$>,
"Kele" wrote:

I can’t seem to duplicate "black dots" on a bmp. John, why convert to black & white (grayscale)? And then why convert to PNG?

————–
"John Stafford" wrote:
In article
Andy wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Andy 😉

I was thinking the OP was referring to 1-bit depth B&W. I’m probably wrong.
L
Lazarus
Jan 13, 2011
That’s where I saw the black pixels, and is probably the quick fix for Andy who should check (try) other bit-depths to get rid of black pixel blocks on bmp image(s).

Good one, John. I got that sharpening technique memorized; changing to grayscale first makes for a hint less saturation in the end.

————
"John Stafford" wrote:

I was thinking the OP was referring to 1-bit depth B&W. I’m probably wrong.
J
Joel
Jan 13, 2011
"Ulysses" wrote:

"Joel" wrote in message
John Stafford wrote:

In article
Andy wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Andy 😉

I don’t think a poor-quality image will get better-quality by converting to different format. Or the quality would be SAME->WORSE than the original
*not* better
I agree completely and, of course he could use the clone tool i have taken old photos and carefully remove scratches and age marks it is a pain staking job. so he has to ask himself "is the photo worth it to restore"

I have my readet set to killfile all messages from Gmail (too many spams from gmail) so I don’t see and can’t reply directly to the OP.

I can’t see how good/bad the image is, but I can give some option. If the quality is very poor and need to be edited then

1. Switch to 16-bit or 32-bit. I only use 16-bit to have much experience with 32-bit, and I only use this on real poor images download from internet for DVD Label. This mode will help smoothing the edge/channel

2. For printing (larger print) one may want to try Resize Image using PERCENTAGE option.

3. Editing, newer CSx version has Healing Patch/Brush which works better than Clone Tool (in most cases). If the Healing Patch/Brush doesn’t work well then Clone Tool may do the trick.

I rarely use those, but I did use Clone Tool in the past, and Healing Tool as practicing.
U
Ulysses
Jan 13, 2011
"Joel" wrote in message
"Ulysses" wrote:

"Joel" wrote in message
John Stafford wrote:

In article
Andy wrote:

Hi all,

I have a bitmap image and when I open it in Photoshop or similar I get
a lot of extra black dots / detail around the image. Is there any fast way of avoiding this or getting rid of these black dots / pixels.

Thanks,

Andy 😉

Try converting it to greyscale. That’s Image -> Mode -> Greyscale, then
File -> Save As -> PNG

I don’t think a poor-quality image will get better-quality by converting
to different format. Or the quality would be SAME->WORSE than the original
*not* better
I agree completely and, of course he could use the clone tool i have taken old photos and carefully remove scratches and age marks it is a pain staking job. so he has to ask himself "is the photo worth it to
restore"

I have my readet set to killfile all messages from Gmail (too many spams from gmail) so I don’t see and can’t reply directly to the OP.
I can’t see how good/bad the image is, but I can give some option. If the quality is very poor and need to be edited then

1. Switch to 16-bit or 32-bit. I only use 16-bit to have much experience with 32-bit, and I only use this on real poor images download from internet
for DVD Label. This mode will help smoothing the edge/channel
2. For printing (larger print) one may want to try Resize Image using PERCENTAGE option.

3. Editing, newer CSx version has Healing Patch/Brush which works better than Clone Tool (in most cases). If the Healing Patch/Brush doesn’t work well then Clone Tool may do the trick.

I rarely use those, but I did use Clone Tool in the past, and Healing Tool as practicing.
Thanks have recently upgraded from PS7 to CS5
and have lots to learn…guess that is the reason for visiting this group will check out the new healing tool

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections