P
Posted By
PeteR
Oct 25, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m considering upgrading my Canon 40D to a 60D but I concerned that Photoshop CS3 may not be able to read the 60D’s RAW files. I’m happy with CS3 (or more the point I can’t afford upgrading to CS5/6 *and* buy the camera) but if there isn’t a RAW update for the 60D and CS3 then I probably won’t buy the camera, not yet anyway.

Any facts about this out there?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JP
John Passaneau
Oct 25, 2010
On 10/25/2010 2:19 AM, PeteR wrote:
I’m considering upgrading my Canon 40D to a 60D but I concerned that Photoshop CS3 may not be able to read the 60D’s RAW files. I’m happy with CS3 (or more the point I can’t afford upgrading to CS5/6 *and* buy the camera) but if there isn’t a RAW update for the 60D and CS3 then I probably won’t buy the camera, not yet anyway.

You are correct that CS3 will not directly read the 60D raw files, ever! But there is a easy and free way to get them into CS3. Adobe give away their Raw to DNG converter. Down load the latest version, convert the RAW to DNG and CS3 will be able to process them just fine. And converting to DNG in no way compromises the data in your RAW files. Even though my version of Photoshop supports all my cameras, I always convert my RAW files to DNG and though not favored by some, I discard the RAW files.

Good Luck

John Passaneau
JS
John Stafford
Oct 25, 2010
In article <4cc52192$>,
"PeteR" wrote:

Lots of facts.

For CS3 – DNG converter and Raw 4.6 update here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4038

General info here
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Lots of updates below. Scroll down to CS3.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=3 9&platform=Wi ndows
A
ahall
Oct 26, 2010
"PeteR" writes:

I’m considering upgrading my Canon 40D to a 60D but I concerned that Photoshop CS3 may not be able to read the 60D’s RAW files.

Get the free DNG converter, then CS3 raw will be good to go.

I’m happy with CS3 (or more the point I can’t afford upgrading to CS5/6 *and* buy the camera) but if there isn’t a RAW update for the 60D and CS3 then I probably won’t buy the camera, not yet anyway.

Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.graphics.photoshop…)
H
hbj
Oct 27, 2010
EOS 60D won’t be supported in CS3.
It is only in ACR 6.2 0r 6.3 (=CS5)

Sorry, but the 60D is a perfect camera and worth the upgrade to CS5 or LR 3

hbj

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:25:05 -0400, wrote:

"PeteR" writes:

I’m considering upgrading my Canon 40D to a 60D but I concerned that Photoshop CS3 may not be able to read the 60D’s RAW files.

I’m happy with CS3 (or more the point I can’t afford upgrading to CS5/6 *and* buy the camera) but if there isn’t a RAW update for the 60D and CS3 then I probably won’t buy the camera, not yet anyway.

JP
John Passaneau
Oct 27, 2010
On 10/27/2010 12:21 AM, wrote:

hbj

"PeteR" writes:

Adobe considers CS3 to be an obsolete version. After the next version is out they will never issue an update for any prevision version. They will also never issue a update to camera raw for anything but the current version of Photoshop.
This is the long term policy of Adobe. You have 2 choices, 1 use the free DNG converter to convert to DNG and then CS3 will be able to load the photo or 2 used the software that comes with the 60d to convert to a file that can be loaded. I would suggest TIF. This has some possibilities as Adobe doesn’t read anything but white balanced from the camera. If you say shoot in camera when you load it into Photoshop it will be in color. My opinion its better to do things like that in Photoshop but many people are infatuated with the various camera styles that their camera produce.

Note that my upgrade from CS4 to CS5 cost $100, if you wait to CS6 to upgrade you will be required to pay the full cost as Adobe will only upgrade 3 versions back.

Photo shop user since version 6

John Passaneau
P
PeteR
Oct 27, 2010
"John Passaneau" wrote in message
On 10/27/2010 12:21 AM, wrote:

hbj

"PeteR" writes:

I’m happy with CS3 (or more the point I can’t afford upgrading to CS5/6 *and* buy the camera) but if there isn’t a RAW update for the 60D and CS3
then I probably won’t buy the camera, not yet anyway.

Adobe considers CS3 to be an obsolete version. After the next version is out they will never issue an update for any prevision version. They will also never issue a update to camera raw for anything but the current version of Photoshop.
This is the long term policy of Adobe. You have 2 choices, 1 use the free DNG converter to convert to DNG and then CS3 will be able to load the photo or 2 used the software that comes with the 60d to convert to a file that can be loaded. I would suggest TIF. This has some possibilities as Adobe doesn’t read anything but white balanced from the camera. If you say shoot in camera when you load it into Photoshop it will be in color. My opinion its better to do things like that in Photoshop but many people are infatuated with the various camera styles that their camera produce.
Note that my upgrade from CS4 to CS5 cost $100, if you wait to CS6 to upgrade you will be required to pay the full cost as Adobe will only upgrade 3 versions back.

Photo shop user since version 6

John Passaneau

Thanks for the information. I might wait a bit for the camera and upgrade to CS5 now.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections