Posted By
Bearpath
Nov 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’m having a problem resizing an image for a webpage, and my Photoshop skills are several years out of date. I’m trying to use Photoshop 5 to turn a 3.82 meg photo with the print dimensions of 34 inches by 22 inches, 2448 pixels by 1632 pixels, and resolution of 72 pixels per inch into something that’s no more than about 220 pixels wide and with a file size of no more than about 50 K.

Is this possible, and if so – how? I cannot find any information in Photoshop help that gets me any closer to the answer, and I’ve loaned my Photoshop manuals to someone I can’t get ahold of for another week or two. I’m sure this has been covered a number of times here, so if someone wants to just point me in the right direction by telling me what search terms to use on Google, I could probably figure it out.

Thanks, everyone!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Mabel
Nov 2, 2003
With "Image size" (under Image) you can set the size by changing either the amount of pixels or inches. Also changing the resolution (DPI) makes it smaller.
And when you save your picture, you can choose the quality, which also influences the size.
Experiment a little, and you’ll find out what works best for you.

Good luck Vincent

"Bearpath" wrote in message
Hello,

I’m having a problem resizing an image for a webpage, and my Photoshop skills are several years out of date. I’m trying to use Photoshop 5 to turn a 3.82 meg photo with the print dimensions of 34 inches by 22 inches, 2448 pixels by 1632 pixels, and resolution of 72 pixels per inch into something that’s no more than about 220 pixels wide and with a file size of no more than about 50 K.

Is this possible, and if so – how? I cannot find any information in Photoshop help that gets me any closer to the answer, and I’ve loaned my Photoshop manuals to someone I can’t get ahold of for another week or two. I’m sure this has been covered a number of times here, so if someone wants to just point me in the right direction by telling me what search terms to use on Google, I could probably figure it out.
Thanks, everyone!
H
Hecate
Nov 3, 2003
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 23:03:03 +0100, "Mabel" wrote:

With "Image size" (under Image) you can set the size by changing either the amount of pixels or inches. Also changing the resolution (DPI) makes it smaller.
And when you save your picture, you can choose the quality, which also influences the size.
Sorry, but changing the resolution size will make no difference at all. Try it and see for yourself. In any case, the person has already stated that it’s for a web page and at 72ppi.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
H
Hecate
Nov 3, 2003
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:53:42 -0600, Bearpath
wrote:

Hello,

OK,IIRC, you do the same in PS 5 as in 7. Go to image/size and set the image size you want. Then save as a jpg with compression about 4-6 and you get a reasonable sized image.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
N
nomail
Nov 3, 2003
Bearpath wrote:

Is this possible, and if so – how? I cannot find any information in Photoshop help that gets me any closer to the answer, and I’ve loaned my Photoshop manuals to someone I can’t get ahold of for another week or two.

Yeah, right. You’ve loaned your manual to someone else. Don’t insult our intelligence, please.
B
Bearpath
Nov 3, 2003
Thanks, Mabel and Hecate. I really appreciate the advice.

Unfortunately, what you guys are suggesting is pretty much what I’ve been doing, and for some reason I’m unable to figure out, I can’t get it to work consistently. For instance I’ll get an image that looks great but is slightly too large, and when I redo it from the original file – following the same basic process – I wind up with the proper file size but a thoroughly ugly image.

My gut tells me there’s probably some really basic principle that I’m just not getting about how the different steps in the process relate to one another. This is just an occasional hobby for me, so the software that is so familiar to some of you is a mystery to me. I think I’m just going to have to wait until I can get my Photoshop Bible back, hopefully later this week.

But thanks again for trying. I really appreciate the help you tried to give. Not your fault it didn’t penetrate!

Hecate wrote:
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 23:03:03 +0100, "Mabel" wrote:

Sorry, but changing the resolution size will make no difference at all. Try it and see for yourself. In any case, the person has already stated that it’s for a web page and at 72ppi.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
B
Bearpath
Nov 3, 2003
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:

Yeah, right. You’ve loaned your manual to someone else. Don’t insult our intelligence, please.

You know, the best thing about Usenet is that you can find an answer to just about any question.

The worst thing about Usenet is that every newsgroup seems to have at least one of you. I don’t understand why anyone with as dull a website as yours would take himself as seriously as you seem to. Perhaps your time would be better spent cleaning that mess up, rather than firing off caustic remarks to total strangers.

Stick to photography. You’re obviously good at that, but your social skills aren’t much better than that of your favorite subjects.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections