Posted By
Mika
Nov 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

Is there any existing actions/techniques to postprocess reflecting light to the eye?

I believe there is a name for that effect when it’s done with lighting. I’m looking for that special torus-light that is used mostly in studioshots for celebs – not some simple spot/dot.

Hopefully someone get what I mean 🙂

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Roberto
Nov 2, 2003
If you mean the white circle effect in the eyes, I think it is done when the photo is taken using a ring flash. Ask on the 35mm ng.
If you mean a star twinkle, then I want to know myself!

Garry

"Mika" wrote in message
Hello,

Is there any existing actions/techniques to postprocess reflecting light to the eye?

I believe there is a name for that effect when it’s done with lighting. I’m looking for that special torus-light that is used mostly in studioshots for celebs – not some simple spot/dot.

Thanks.
JC
James Connell
Nov 3, 2003
garry parker wrote:

If you mean the white circle effect in the eyes, I think it is done when the photo is taken using a ring flash. Ask on the 35mm ng.

Garry

"Mika" wrote in message

Hello,

Thanks.

the spot in the eye is from a flash – it could be a ring flash or not ( in general a ‘ring flash’ is only a few inches across and won’t show as a ring in the eye unless it’s really close. if you use more than one flash unit it quite possible you end up with thqat many "stars" in the eyes – all but one should be removed from the (each) eye ( just make sure you remove the same one from each eye!!! it really looks wierd to have the highlite in the right side on the left eye and on the left in the right or visa versa 🙂

easiest way to add them if they’re not there is make a new (transparent) layer – zoom in so you can be accurate and paint them in, adjust opacity to taste and use a gausing blur if you wish.
H
Hecate
Nov 3, 2003
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:01:10 -0000, "garry parker" wrote:

Yes, the torus effect is done using ring flash. It gives a shadowless light and helps iron out facial imperfections. It was originally developed for use in medical and dental applications and was done to death as a photographic technique in the 1970s, but is still used by some, mainly unimaginative, photographers. Still, must be time for a 70s photo revival by now…

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
AD
Al Denelsbeck
Nov 3, 2003
Mika wrote in news::

Hello,

Thanks.

The word you’re looking for is ‘catchlight’.

The ‘torus’ effect is done using either a ringlight, as some people have said, or occasionally you can get much the same thing from a larger light bounced into an umbrella – the light fixture itself blocks the center of the umbrella image.

Neither one is particularly good lighting technique for portraiture, IMHO, because of the flattening it does to faces, but hey…

Not hard to do, and there’s several dozen techniques. You can simply take the airbrush tool and spot in the white, then spot in a central black portion.

The bigger key, in order to make it look right, is to get them in the precise reflective point on the cornea – slightly off and they’re gonna look funny. Best to do both lights on separate layers to allow easy repositioning.

And if you do it without other evidence of the key light being frontal, it’s gonna look odd to many people, and experienced photographers and editors will spot it. I find it better just to produce it when the pic’s taken ;-).

– Al.

To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections