Can PS handle more than 2GB of memory on XP-Pro ?

M
Posted By
Maryo
Sep 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all.

I’m interested to know if PS 7.01 can manage more than 2GB of ram memory.

I often work with very large, multi layered image and even with 2GB of ram, my dual xeon often swap to hdd for several minutes…

My board can support 4Gb of ram, I see that Win XP-Pro can handle 4GB of memory by using the /PAE (physical address extension) option, but I’m unsure if PS recognize and handle it properly.

Thanking in advance for any suggestion.

Mario

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave milbut
Sep 20, 2003
nope. not in version 7 or earlier. there’s rumors (only rumors, of course, as anyone in the "know" is bound by NDAs) that this will be addressed in version 8. aaaaany day now…
M
Maryo
Sep 21, 2003
Thanks Dave, I hope that v8 will have this feature!
RH
r_harvey
Sep 21, 2003
It’d require a revised file format, so I would expect that it would not be backward-compatible. This may be an issue with some workflows.

…I hope that v8 will have this feature!

I coulda had a… nah.
Q
Quale
Sep 21, 2003
This < http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/server/PAE/PAEm em.mspx> suggests there is 3GB which PS could use.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 21, 2003
The operating system may support 4GB of address space, but the Photoshop file size is limited to 2GB. Some later Intel processors support up to 64GB (36-bit addressing), but applications are still limited to 2-3GB each. Right now, that is.
P
Phosphor
Sep 21, 2003
I recall that Chris cox said that PAE was slow and cumbersome..
M
Maryo
Sep 21, 2003
Thanks all for the reply.

Even with a file size limit to 2gb, a 3Gb (or more)ram memory available can speed up certain workflow step.

I’m anxious to discovery the feature of v8!

Maryo

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections