S
Posted By
SS
Jun 30, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a more exact way to copy/paste a circle in photoshop.

As I do it now I use the `elliptical marque tool` and it seems to be a bit of pot luck to get it exact, I am trying to copy the label of a vinyl record which is circular.
Sometimes it is not exact but cant see how to adjust it to the correct size. If I use the transorm tool this just seems to move the circle around without allowing me to adjust to the correct size of the circle.

thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 30, 2010
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:55:32 +0100, SS wrote:

As I do it now I use the `elliptical marque tool` and it seems to be a bit of pot luck to get it exact, I am trying to copy the label of a vinyl record which is circular.
Sometimes it is not exact but cant see how to adjust it to the correct size. If I use the transorm tool this just seems to move the circle around without allowing me to adjust to the correct size of the circle.
thanks

I’d suggest starting by dragging a guide onto the left, right, top and bottom edges of your record label. Turn on View>Snap To,>All and the circular marquee will snap to the right place. Hold down shift to ensure a circular selection, and use the move tool to re-adjust your guides if necessary.

If your final selection is still not perfectly round – for example if this is a photograph taken at a slight angle, use transform to adjust it exactly.

Here’s one of many videos that discuss some of the selection options. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6uyl5gL8CU

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 30, 2010
Mike Russell found these unused words:

thanks

I’d suggest starting by dragging a guide onto the left, right, top and bottom edges of your record label. Turn on View>Snap To,>All and the circular marquee will snap to the right place. Hold down shift to ensure a circular selection, and use the move tool to re-adjust your guides if necessary.

If your final selection is still not perfectly round – for example if this is a photograph taken at a slight angle, use transform to adjust it exactly.

Here’s one of many videos that discuss some of the selection options. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6uyl5gL8CU

Well, you could hold the SHIFT key to force a perfect circle as you drag it out. Position and then use Select -> Modify -> Expand [negative value shrinks] to get the exact size, H or V. Crop, then use the transform to ‘scale’ the ‘short’ diameter into size.
S
SS
Jun 30, 2010
"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
Mike Russell found these unused words:

As I do it now I use the `elliptical marque tool` and it seems to be a bit
of pot luck to get it exact, I am trying to copy the label of a vinyl record
which is circular.
Sometimes it is not exact but cant see how to adjust it to the correct size.
If I use the transorm tool this just seems to move the circle around without
allowing me to adjust to the correct size of the circle.
thanks

I’d suggest starting by dragging a guide onto the left, right, top and bottom edges of your record label. Turn on View>Snap To,>All and the circular marquee will snap to the right place. Hold down shift to ensure a
circular selection, and use the move tool to re-adjust your guides if necessary.

Well, you could hold the SHIFT key to force a perfect circle as you drag it
out. Position and then use Select -> Modify -> Expand [negative value shrinks] to get the exact size, H or V. Crop, then use the transform to ‘scale’ the ‘short’ diameter into size.
Thanks for the help I will try all options and see what suits, my main problem is finding something fast as I have over 2000 vinyl records to photograph and then edit, if it was just a few it would be ok. I must admit though my accuracy was getting a lot better just using elliptical tool until I got a bit fed up with it.

thanks
JS
John Stafford
Jun 30, 2010
In article <nDLWn.99719$>,
"SS" wrote:

Thanks for the help I will try all options and see what suits, my main problem is finding something fast as I have over 2000 vinyl records to photograph and then edit

Part of my day-job is mass production of digital media. Here’s how you do it. Use a scanner. Mask it so that you can just plop each record onto the same place for each one. Scan ’em. Then batch the cut-out and RIP through the images all at once. Typically, I can cut over 1,000 images before mid-morning coffee.
S
SS
Jun 30, 2010
"John Stafford" wrote in message
In article <nDLWn.99719$>,
"SS" wrote:

Thanks for the help I will try all options and see what suits, my main problem is finding something fast as I have over 2000 vinyl records to photograph and then edit

Part of my day-job is mass production of digital media. Here’s how you do it. Use a scanner. Mask it so that you can just plop each record onto the same place for each one. Scan ’em. Then batch the cut-out and RIP through the images all at once. Typically, I can cut over 1,000 images before mid-morning coffee.
Thanks John that maybe the answer to do the bulk of the batch, and some of the more expensive items I can give a bit more personal attention.

thanks
B
bdchmura
Jul 1, 2010
On 30/06/2010 9:55 AM, SS wrote:
thanks
I’ve made a vinyl disc image also with a nice B/W Gradient. What you could do is Alt+Shift-drag an Ellipse outwards from the center then just Cut/Paste into a new Layer. This will make it perfectly centered. Drag out your Grad to fill it.

Next, Alt+Shift-drag a smaller Ellipse for the center hole on the top Layer, Cut/Paste and fill with black.

Do the same for the label Layer, which is between the two Layers you just made and bring in your label image.

HTH

Gary

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections