D
Posted By
DaveC
Jun 19, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I opened a TIFF bitmap (monochrome) file and did some editing which included erasing some of the image elements using PS Eraser tool and adding text with the Text tool. All went as expected. I then saved it as a PS 2.0 file.

When I opened it later, I cannot use the Eraser tool (it simply does not effect the image), and when I try to use the Text tool, the entire image turns pink when I click the cursor anywhere on the image. It did not do this when I added text previously.

The title of the window says "Flamingchicken @ 66.7% (Index)".

In the Layers window, only one layer is shown and it has a padlock icon (the lock is closed). Mousing over the icon it says "… layer is partially locked".

How did I cause this?

How can I get this image back to where I can edit it again?

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

D
DaveC
Jun 19, 2010
Googling around a little, I see that the pink background is because the image is in Index mode. I changed this to RBG/8 (even though this monochrome?) and the pink background when using Text tool went away.

I still need to be able to edit the image (ie, use the Eraser tool). I opened up the original Tiff file and I can edit it.

How can I unlock the "background" layer for editing? The original file background layer could be edited, so I don’t understand why now I cannot edit the background layer.

Thanks.
D
Dave
Jun 20, 2010
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 15:52:40 -0700, DaveC wrote:

Googling around a little, I see that the pink background is because the image is in Index mode. I changed this to RBG/8 (even though this monochrome?) and the pink background when using Text tool went away.

I still need to be able to edit the image (ie, use the Eraser tool). I opened up the original Tiff file and I can edit it.

How can I unlock the "background" layer for editing? The original file background layer could be edited, so I don’t understand why now I cannot edit the background layer.

Thanks.

double click on the background layer making it ‘Layer 0’
DJ
david johnson
Jun 21, 2010
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:08:44 +0200, Dave wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 15:52:40 -0700, DaveC wrote:

Thanks.

double click on the background layer making it ‘Layer 0’

another option is CTRL J to duplicatethe layer, then you don’t destroy it, each person worls differently, also useful for a before and after. To be honest i have never understood why PS does it. I mean i can but you always have to do somethign to it to edit it. But then again Adobe lurves mouse clicking.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections