H
Posted By
HGS
Jun 5, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Looking to move to either CS4 or CS5 from elements. Not looking for a student version. Any ideas as to the best place to purchase as cheap as possible?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TC
tony cooper
Jun 5, 2010
On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 20:12:31 +0100, "HGS"
wrote:

Looking to move to either CS4 or CS5 from elements. Not looking for a student version. Any ideas as to the best place to purchase as cheap as possible?
Don’t you understand that the "student version" is the same program as the full version? The only difference is the price and the container.

You may not qualify for a student version, but there’s no reason not to purchase the student version if you qualify.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
J
jjs
Jun 5, 2010
In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

Don’t you understand that the "student version" is the same program as the full version? The only difference is the price and the container.

One small correction: the EULA for a student version states that you may not, under any circumstances, sell/transfer your copy to another person. That is the only difference.
N
N
Jun 6, 2010
"John Stafford" wrote in message
In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

One small correction: the EULA for a student version states that you may not, under any circumstances, sell/transfer your copy to another person. That is the only difference.

Can you upgrade a student version, say from cs4 to cs5?

N
TC
tony cooper
Jun 6, 2010
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 12:16:54 +1000, "N" wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

The student version could be CS4 or CS5. The student version is not a limited feature version as far as function. It doesn’t make a difference as to what version you are upgrading from or to. The term "student version" pertains to the price you pay if you are qualified.

I know people who have signed up for a course at a community college in order to qualify for the student version price. The student version price, plus the registration fees, are still less than the commercial price. Significantly. The course need not be in an area where Photoshop would used.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
PS
Paul Simon
Jun 6, 2010
"N" wrote in message
In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

N
As I understand the license, there is no "upgrade" for the student edition, just purchase a new edition at the reduced student price, which is about the cost for an upgrade to the non-student version.

Paul
J
Joel
Jun 6, 2010
"HGS" wrote:

Google for the store offers the lowest price tag!
J
Joel
Jun 6, 2010
"N" wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

Your question is not completed!

– In the earlier day the answer is NO. Or you can’t

a. Can’t use the student version for commercial use (professional)

b. You have to upgrade to the FULL version when graduated from college

– Now, if I understand correctly then YES

a. You can use as professional (making money)

b. You can upgrade to newer version, or continue using after graduated

Before, sometime you can even be able to upgrade from the DEMO version came with many hardwares for between $100-150, and $150 to upgrade to current version from any older version. Now, Adobe limited to the last 1 or 2 latest version (can’t remember) and the upgrading price is somewhere around $250 (I think I only paid around $218 for CS3 to CS4).

You may have to double check on the newer policies as they have too many newer policies, versions, marketing styles (forcing Photoshop users to upgrade to current before too late) for my old brain to keep up.
J
jjs
Jun 6, 2010
In article ,
"N" wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

Yep!
J
jjs
Jun 6, 2010
In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

The student version could be CS4 or CS5. [… snip good stuff …]

As Joel mentioned (I think), there is a point at which one cannot upgrade, otherwise I’d upgrade from Photo Shop V3 to today’s version. 🙂 Seriously, I still have V3 in the original package, unopened.
J
Joel
Jun 6, 2010
"Paul Simon" wrote:

"N" wrote in message
In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

N
As I understand the license, there is no "upgrade" for the student edition, just purchase a new edition at the reduced student price, which is about the cost for an upgrade to the non-student version.

Paul

Sometime the word "upgrading" alone doesn’t mean much or anything, same as reading some answer from Adobe or Adobe’s employee can be very confusing too. Example just the word "UPGRADE"

1. Upgrading from "Student (discount) version" to newer "Student version" meaning you are still a student. Then the answer is NO, there is no lower price than the only lowest price

2. Upgrading from Student version to Commerical version. As my understanding, before Adobe only offering the price and licence while you are still in school and don’t use it to make money. Or they require you to upgrade to the commercial version with higher upgrading price

3. Probably from CS4 (or CS3? I am not so sure), Adobe allows student to use as professional (making money, and I don’t know the difference between Commercial vs Professional) and don’t require you to upgrade to the commercial licence.

And the upgrading price is same with the Full Version and it’s about $100+ higher than very earlier version (it was around $150 for many years). And I read several different answers from newer policy of newer CS# to know exactly what’s going on (or some is not exactly what Adobe says in the license agreement)
RL
Rainer Latka
Jun 6, 2010
On 06.Jun.10 16:03h, John Stafford wrote:
In article,
tony cooper wrote:

In article,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

The student version could be CS4 or CS5. [… snip good stuff …]

As Joel mentioned (I think), there is a point at which one cannot upgrade, otherwise I’d upgrade from Photo Shop V3 to today’s version. 🙂 Seriously, I still have V3 in the original package, unopened.

IIRC you can upgrade if your version is up to two versions back. The Adobe web site will tell you.
JP
John Passaneau
Jun 6, 2010
On 6/6/2010 12:27 AM, Paul Simon wrote:
"N" wrote in message
In article,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

N

Paul

I’ve upgraded my student version I have from CS1 through all versions to CS5 at the normal upgrade prices.

John Passaneau
J
jjs
Jun 7, 2010
In article ,
Rainer Latka wrote:

IIRC you can upgrade if your version is up to two versions back. The Adobe web site will tell you.

🙂 This is ‘Version’ 3, before CS!
RL
Rainer Latka
Jun 7, 2010
On 07.Jun.10 13:39h, John Stafford wrote:
In article,
Rainer Latka wrote:

🙂 This is ‘Version’ 3, before CS!

maybe you can sell it to a collector if it’s still in mint condition ;.)
J
Joel
Jun 8, 2010
John Passaneau wrote:

On 6/6/2010 12:27 AM, Paul Simon wrote:
"N" wrote in message
In article,
tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

N

Paul

I’ve upgraded my student version I have from CS1 through all versions to CS5 at the normal upgrade prices.

Thanks for the confirmation! I am/was pretty sure NOW (not before) the owners of Educational version can use as professional and upgrade to Full commercial version as regular upgrading price. But sometine I run into some different guessing game, and I do’nt upgrade from student version I confirm it myself.

I know *before* people can upgrade the bundled version came with many hardwares (like printer, notebook, scanner, tablet, camera, sometime even hard drive etc.) to full version for only $150. Now Adobe limits to 2 older versions and I think this would upset quite afew Photoshop owners who don’t make $$$$ to upgrade too often.

John Passaneau

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections