TL
Posted By
The Learner
Mar 5, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First of all, I apologize for not cross-posting. I’m using Foret Agent. For some odd reason, my crossposts don’t always go through. Soooo:

I soon intend to buy a laptop suitable for Photoshop and am looking for suggestions. I also have a question: Since a gaming computer is so good at graphics, would I be wise to consider one of these? I usually use a laptop as a desktop and money is not an object. I am cuurently looking at a Sager gaming laptop – the NP8121
http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=258533

It has a lot of hardware which I would put to good use. Comments please? The more – the better!!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
Joe
Mar 6, 2010
The Learner wrote:

First of all, I apologize for not cross-posting. I’m using Foret Agent. For some odd reason, my crossposts don’t always go through. Soooo:

Well, X-Posting should have nothing to do with the reader, and Agent should have no problem x-posting the same message to multiple groups.

The only problem or advance that

1. Many News SERVERS (not Agent nor any reader) won’t allow x-posting to more than 3-4 groups.

2. Agent, it doesn’t matter how many groups the message being x-posted to, you will only see ONE x-posting message on the FIRST group of your list.

IOW, with Agent you will only see ONE instead of 1000 x-posting messages.

I soon intend to buy a laptop suitable for Photoshop and am looking for suggestions. I also have a question: Since a gaming computer is so good at graphics, would I be wise to consider one of these? I usually use a laptop as a desktop and money is not an object. I am cuurently looking at a Sager gaming laptop – the NP8121
It has a lot of hardware which I would put to good use. Comments please? The more – the better!!!

I have many Desktops and NoteBooks, but I have only installed Photoshop on single Desktop to have much experience with Notebook. But my granddaughter (still in college) works for a company as Graphic Designer that they provide her many Adobe products including CSx. I forget to mention she runs them on her Notebook, and a nephew of mine running CS3 on his notebook too.

My grand-daughter complaing her notebook is kinda slow, and it can only go up to 2GB of memory which I replaced (2) 512MB with (2) 1GB memory cards.
TL
The Learner
Mar 7, 2010
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:07:03 -0600, Joe wrote:

The Learner wrote:

Well, X-Posting should have nothing to do with the reader, and Agent should have no problem x-posting the same message to multiple groups.

1. Many News SERVERS (not Agent nor any reader) won’t allow x-posting to more than 3-4 groups.

I already checked with my ISP and they have no restrictions. Besides, I only crosspost to no more than 3 groups.
2. Agent, it doesn’t matter how many groups the message being x-posted to, you will only see ONE x-posting message on the FIRST group of your list.

What does IOW mean? Also, when I crosspost with Agent (and it works), I see my post in all the groups I crossposted to. I don’t understand why I wouldn’t. Please explain. Some people don’t go to ALL the groups I might cross post to – that’s the only reason I would crosspost. So the thread I start SHOULD show in all the groups, no?

I have many Desktops and NoteBooks, but I have only installed Photoshop on single Desktop to have much experience with Notebook. But my granddaughter (still in college) works for a company as Graphic Designer that they provide her many Adobe products including CSx. I forget to mention she runs them on her Notebook, and a nephew of mine running CS3 on his notebook too.
My grand-daughter complaing her notebook is kinda slow, and it can only go up to 2GB of memory which I replaced (2) 512MB with (2) 1GB memory cards.

I would get a 64bit notebook with Windows 7 and USB3 (when it comes out and is proven to work).
TC
tony cooper
Mar 8, 2010
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 18:32:25 -0500, The Learner
wrote:

What does IOW mean? Also, when I crosspost with Agent (and it works), I see my post in all the groups I crossposted to. I don’t understand why I wouldn’t. Please explain. Some people don’t go to ALL the groups I might cross post to – that’s the only reason I would crosspost. So the thread I start SHOULD show in all the groups, no?

Yes, but Agent is configured by default to show the cross-post as "read" in all newsgroups when it is read in one newsgroup. Once you read it in the first group, you will not see it listed in next groups.

IOW – In other words.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
TL
The Learner
Mar 8, 2010
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 01:17:10 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

wrote:

Yes, but Agent is configured by default to show the cross-post as "read" in all newsgroups when it is read in one newsgroup. Once you read it in the first group, you will not see it listed in next groups.
IOW – In other words.

Thanks……. That makes sense. Why read something more than once? My issue is that many times, a crosspost doesn’t even show in ANY group. Then, I’m sort of forced to make the same post in each group that might give me a good response – any no one likes multiple posts (and I can see why).
TC
tony cooper
Mar 9, 2010
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 14:18:06 -0500, The Learner
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

IOW – In other words.

Thanks……. That makes sense. Why read something more than once? My issue is that many times, a crosspost doesn’t even show in ANY group. Then, I’m sort of forced to make the same post in each group that might give me a good response – any no one likes multiple posts (and I can see why).

If your cross-posting doesn’t appear in any group, you are doing something wrong. Possibly not putting a comma between the names of the groups or adding spaces.

J
Joe
Mar 9, 2010
The Learner wrote:

The Learner wrote:

I already checked with my ISP and they have no restrictions. Besides, I only crosspost to no more than 3 groups.

Yours may be not BUT others do.

In Other Word. And if you see ALL x-posts then

1. You have your Agent set wrong

2. You ain’t doing real x-posting. Or you probably post same message to multiple groups which is most SPAMs do.

I would get a 64bit notebook with Windows 7 and USB3 (when it comes out and is proven to work).

That would be a smart choice! and why not wait for USB4 or USB5 instead?
TL
The Learner
Mar 9, 2010
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 01:28:31 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

IOW – In other words.

If your cross-posting doesn’t appear in any group, you are doing something wrong. Possibly not putting a comma between the names of the groups or adding spaces.

I follow each group’s name with a comma and a space. I’ve also tried just a comma (no space). It seems that it’s only a problem with the Vista newsgroups – but, since I don’t use many other groups, I can’t be sure.
J
Joe
Mar 9, 2010
The Learner wrote:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 01:28:31 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

IOW – In other words.

I follow each group’s name with a comma and a space. I’ve also tried just a comma (no space). It seems that it’s only a problem with the Vista newsgroups – but, since I don’t use many other groups, I can’t be sure.

You are corrected about separating the groups with COMMA, and separating by SPACE is dead wrong.
TL
The Learner
Mar 9, 2010
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 03:29:18 -0600, Joe wrote:

The Learner wrote:

The Learner wrote:

Don’t others see the posr in all the groups I posted to?

How should it be set?

2. You ain’t doing real x-posting. Or you probably post same message to multiple groups which is most SPAMs do.

Maybe you’re right. What I do is address my post to more than one group – separated by a comma and a space. Isn’t that crossposting?

USB is already here. Please don’t be a ‘wise guy.’ I get your point!!!!!!
TC
tony cooper
Mar 9, 2010
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:57:37 -0500, The Learner
wrote:

The Learner wrote:

The Learner wrote:

You don’t know what newsgroups we read. We may not read all of the groups you are posting to.

How should it be set?

By default, you see any post – no matter how many cross-postings – only once if you read it in the first group you read.

Someone else may first see, and read, your cross-posted message in a different group, but whatever he does with his response (if he doesn’t change the headers) won’t affect the message remaining in all groups and his reply posting in all groups.

Maybe you’re right. What I do is address my post to more than one group – separated by a comma and a space. Isn’t that crossposting?

Yes, but adding the space might make it not post in the second and other newsgroups. The correct format is:
newsgroup1,newsgroup2,newsgroup3.

TL
The Learner
Mar 10, 2010
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:56:23 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:57:37 -0500, The Learner
wrote:

The Learner wrote:

The Learner wrote:

You don’t know what newsgroups we read. We may not read all of the groups you are posting to.

How should it be set?

By default, you see any post – no matter how many cross-postings – only once if you read it in the first group you read.

Someone else may first see, and read, your cross-posted message in a different group, but whatever he does with his response (if he doesn’t change the headers) won’t affect the message remaining in all groups and his reply posting in all groups.

This is the part I STILL don’t understand. Is there another way to explain this? I know I sound like a dummy (I’m not) but this one’s got me. You mentioned ‘by default.’ Is there a setting in Forte Agent to change the default? If I crosspost in another area of the Usenet, I can see my post in all the groups I posted to.

Yes, but adding the space might make it not post in the second and other newsgroups. The correct format is:

OK.
TC
tony cooper
Mar 10, 2010
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 21:17:57 -0500, The Learner
wrote:

How should it be set?

This is the part I STILL don’t understand. Is there another way to explain this?

Not really. You just have to think this through. If there is a specific part of the explanation you don’t understand, then ask about this. If you can’t understand the concept in general, I can’t help you.

I know I sound like a dummy (I’m not) but this one’s got me. You mentioned ‘by default.’ Is there a setting in Forte Agent to change the default? If I crosspost in another area of the Usenet

There is no other "area" of Usenet. There is just Usenet, and Usenet is comprised of many, many discrete groups.
comp.graphics.app.photoshop (this newsgroup) is a group within Usenet.

I can
see my post in all the groups I posted to.

You can *see* your cross-posted messages in all groups only *before* you open and read your message in any group. Once you open and read your message it is not shown to you in other groups but other people can see your messages in any of the groups before they open and read the message.

A "default" is something that is set by the originator of the software that can be changed by the user. If it can’t be changed, the term "default" doesn’t apply. "Default" simply means "It will be this way unless you change it".

Forte has put out several versions of Agent over the years, so the version of Agent that I have may not be the same version as you use. In mine, the default setting for cross-posting is set by going to Groups>Default Properties>Crossposts and changing the default properties there. (You can’t be reading a message when you go to Groups)

The best way to test this is to subscribe to two of the test groups (ie: alt.test ed.test) and crosspost a message to both groups and see what happens with your settings.

OK.

J
Joe
Mar 12, 2010
The Learner wrote:

<snip>

YES and NO depending on the reader they use.

How should it be set?

How do I know what you set at your end, and youe Agent is newer than mine. By default Agent will only see ONCE. If you don’t see any then I guess a kill-filter eats it, but it doesn’t sound like you know how to use kill-filter.

I know USB is already here, it it has been around for many years. But USB3 is what I am talking about.
TL
The Learner
Mar 13, 2010
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:50:27 -0600, Joe wrote:

The Learner wrote:

<snip>

YES and NO depending on the reader they use.

Ahh, good point I didn’t think of that.

How should it be set?

How do I know what you set at your end, and youe Agent is newer than mine. By default Agent will only see ONCE. If you don’t see any then I guess a kill-filter eats it, but it doesn’t sound like you know how to use kill-filter.

You’re right. I’ll have to learn.

I know USB is already here, it it has been around for many years. But USB3 is what I am talking about.

USB3 is what I’M talking about too………. I will not wait for USB4!!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections