Posted By
mickCyber
Mar 2, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool but it’s difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way? Many thanks
Michael
PS: PS or Gimp

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AM
Andrew Morton
Mar 2, 2010
mickCyber wrote:
i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool but it’s difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?

What do you mean by "panel"? Is it a panel as in some part of a window on the computer, or just some arbitrary section of a photo? If the former, you could try using nearest neighbour interpolation when enlarging it. And what are these "transitions" of which you speak?

The clone tool is probably not what you’re after: you likely want to select the region and transform it (<ctrl>T), you can set exact values in the Options panel at the top.

Andrew
R
Ragnar
Mar 2, 2010
"mickCyber" wrote in message
Hi
i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool but it’s difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way? Many thanks
Michael

I do not have the latest version of PS but AFAIK you can not use the clone tool to make an enlarged copy.
You need to copy the small region to a new layer then use Transform to make it 20x bigger. There is no way of doing this without ‘any visible effects’. I hope I have understood your question correctly.
R.
PU
Photoshop User
Mar 2, 2010
Hi
Michael

If you can post the picture it would help to give the right advice

often I have a picture that the background does not cover the layout shape- I have used transform to stretch it out but it works best on solid or gradient areas. Have also used it to elongate a model’s legs. NOTE: when I make the marquee I use a big feather to soften the transition and not get a ‘crack"

another way is to copy part of the "panel" and paste it, you may still need the clone tool to blend the areas

— —
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 3, 2010
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 11:04:29 -0000, Ragnar wrote:

Hi
Michael

I do not have the latest version of PS but AFAIK you can not use the clone tool to make an enlarged copy.
You need to copy the small region to a new layer then use Transform to make it 20x bigger. There is no way of doing this without ‘any visible effects’. I hope I have understood your question correctly.
R.

CS4 will do a variety of transforms using the clone tool, including making an enlarged copy. This usually saves having to dupe the source image when the cloned area is rotated, flipped, or a different size. It’s a major upgrade feature that doesn’t get mentioned very much.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
J
Joe
Mar 3, 2010
mickCyber wrote:

Hi
Michael

It may require some miracle, or if you enlarge a VERY VERY VERTY large file (lot and lot and lot of pixels) then view or print to small size then the eyes may not be able to see the difference.

And I don’t see how the CLONE (I believe it means a duplicate of the original) can make the dupe larger or different than the original. You can enlarge using one of several enlarging options (Transform, Scale etc..).
EC
el Condor loco
Mar 3, 2010
On Mar 2, 6:07 pm, mickCyber wrote:
i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to around 20x the size without any visible effects?

if enlarging quite a bit (x20 sounds like ‘a bit’ ), why not convert the selection to a "smart object" ? If you have CS or higher version of PhotoShop, will be under the "Layer" pull downs as: ‘Group into Smart Object’……… Then use the ‘transform’ hot key / or ‘transform’ pull down under the "Edit" heading. Then when finished resizing (up or down), convert the vectorized Smart Object back into a ‘raster’ graphic. Just changes rasters into vectors & then back again………….. other ways to do in PS I’m sure, but that’s a qwik way I use that won’t pixelate your enlargements like blowing up a raster image………
Curt H.
J
Joe
Mar 3, 2010
Mike Russell wrote:

Hi
Michael

R.

CS4 will do a variety of transforms using the clone tool, including making an enlarged copy. This usually saves having to dupe the source image when the cloned area is rotated, flipped, or a different size. It’s a major upgrade feature that doesn’t get mentioned very much.

I don’t have CS4 to know that CS4 can enlarge using Clone Tool command, and I have never heard nor seen any program can do the impossible.

*If* you are talking about the TRANSFORM command then some of us have already mentioned it/them (Photoshop has several options).
AM
Andrew Morton
Mar 3, 2010
Joe wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:

I don’t have CS4 to know that CS4 can enlarge using Clone Tool command, and I have never heard nor seen any program can do the impossible.

I didn’t know about that either, but FWIW it’s mentioned in step 7 of "Retouch with the Clone Stamp tool" in
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSfd1234e1c4b69f3 0ea53e41001031ab64-760aa.html

But having thought about it, I think the OP should shrink the rest of the image rather than enlarging an area, thus avoiding undesired artefacts in the now relatively enlarged area, seeing as that’s probably the area of interest.

Andrew
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 3, 2010
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:38:46 -0600, Joe wrote:

Mike Russell wrote:

Hi
Michael

R.

*If* you are talking about the TRANSFORM command then some of us have already mentioned it/them (Photoshop has several options).

LOL – it’s there. Adobe offers a free 30 day trial so you can take it for a spin. The clone tool enhancement is not the biggest addition to CS4, but certainly one that is extensive relative to the number of people who have tried it out.

J
Joe
Mar 6, 2010
"Andrew Morton" wrote:

Joe wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:

I didn’t know about that either, but FWIW it’s mentioned in step 7 of "Retouch with the Clone Stamp tool" in
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSfd1234e1c4b69f3 0ea53e41001031ab64-760aa.html
But having thought about it, I think the OP should shrink the rest of the image rather than enlarging an area, thus avoiding undesired artefacts in the now relatively enlarged area, seeing as that’s probably the area of interest.

Andrew

I never use Stamp Tool on my retouching, but I have tried it several times way back since very earlier Photoshop version. I still have some idea how the Stamp Tool works, but don’t remember the enlarging part.
J
Joe
Mar 6, 2010
Mike Russell wrote:

Mike Russell wrote:

Hi
Michael

R.

LOL – it’s there. Adobe offers a free 30 day trial so you can take it for a spin. The clone tool enhancement is not the biggest addition to CS4, but certainly one that is extensive relative to the number of people who have tried it out.

Well, since I already have CS3 (not installed on my new system) so I have no interested in trying out the CS4. Or if I do then I should have upgraded when it first released

The question is it "Clone Tool Enchancement" or "Clone Tool Enlargement"?. And if I my memory serves me well, then I read and probably saw a small video about the newer Cloning Tool and Marking Tool etc.. which seem better than older Photoshop, but I don’t remember seeing the Enlargement part.

And my understand "Enlarge" means making "BIGGER" *not* "BETTER" or "EASIER"
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 6, 2010
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 09:55:11 -0600, Joe wrote:

Mike Russell wrote:

Mike Russell wrote:

Hi
Michael

R.

Well, since I already have CS3 (not installed on my new system) so I have no interested in trying out the CS4. Or if I do then I should have upgraded when it first released

The question is it "Clone Tool Enchancement" or "Clone Tool Enlargement"?. And if I my memory serves me well, then I read and probably saw a small video about the newer Cloning Tool and Marking Tool etc.. which seem better than older Photoshop, but I don’t remember seeing the Enlargement part.
And my understand "Enlarge" means making "BIGGER" *not* "BETTER" or "EASIER"

OK, Joe, have it your way. 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections