Posted By
Steve JORDI
Mar 31, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I have a picture that was scanned from a magazine page that was folded in four.
I then have a vertical blank line (the fold) on the image. Any way to automatically fix this?

Like the heal tool? Select the rectangle region containing the fold scratch and have it automatically apply kind of "stamp" to it using both sides of the scracth as a median?
Using the stamp tool takes a reference on one point the user specifies.
I was wondering whether a tool was able to use both sides of a scratch and automatically calculate a median pixel value (color, intensity, etc) to mask the scratch?

Thanks for any tip

Sincerely,
Steve JORDI
M.Sc. in Geophysics

(Remove the I_REALLY_HATE_SPAMMERS from my email address) ————————————————
1197 Prangins Email:
Switzerland WWW: www.sjordi.com
————————————————
Volcanoes at www.sjordi.com/volcanoes
————————————————

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LL
Leo Lichtman
Mar 31, 2010
"Steve JORDI" wrote: (clip) I was wondering whether a tool was able to use both sides of a scratch
and automatically calculate a median pixel value (color, intensity, etc) to mask the scratch?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I doubt that a "heal" tool can do this automatically. At least, I don’t know of any. If such a tool exists, it is certain to be less effective than what you can do by the use of the clone tool and a little patience. In some areas you can simply clone in the tone from both sides of the fold. Anyplace that a line or other image crosses the fold, you should clone it in by moving along the line (rather than perpendicular to the fold.) If there are patterns within the image, sometimes you can copy an element of the pattern and slip it into position in a separate layer. An example would be something like a cyclone fence or patterned wallpaper.

This is the kind of challenge that makes Photoshop fun. Good luck.
JD
Joe D
Mar 31, 2010
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 04:00:48 -0400, Steve JORDI wrote
(in article ):

Hi,
I have a picture that was scanned from a magazine page that was folded in four.
I then have a vertical blank line (the fold) on the image. Any way to automatically fix this?

Like the heal tool? Select the rectangle region containing the fold scratch and have it automatically apply kind of "stamp" to it using both sides of the scracth as a median?
Using the stamp tool takes a reference on one point the user specifies.
I was wondering whether a tool was able to use both sides of a scratch and automatically calculate a median pixel value (color, intensity, etc) to mask the scratch?

Thanks for any tip

Sincerely,
Steve JORDI
M.Sc. in Geophysics

(Remove the I_REALLY_HATE_SPAMMERS from my email address) ————————————————
1197 Prangins Email:
————————————————
————————————————

I’ve never quite understood the difference between the Healing Tool and the Clone Tool (Rubber Stamp), which is what I’ve always used. I just played a bit with the Healing Tool and was able to remove a figure standing in the middle of a street rather easily, reproducing the curb element and the traffic-lane stripes with nearly no effort.

I don’t know of a tool that can sample two areas at once. Maybe someone with more experience can enlighten both of us on the advantages of the Healing Tool over the Clone Tool. Or let us both know about sampling from two areas for blending.

Joe Dee from NYC
LL
Leo Lichtman
Mar 31, 2010
"Joe D" wrote: I’ve never quite understood the difference between the Healing Tool and the
Clone Tool (Rubber Stamp), (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The clone tool allows you to choose an area and paste it over the area you want to fix. The healing tool chooses the area surrounding that which you want to fix, and replaces whatever is inside the circle. They may appear to do the same thing, but you will find a difference if you try to use the healing tool right next to a detail you are keeping. It will replace the area inside the circle with
some of that detail, which can make kind of a mess.

Steve, if you drag the healing tool along a fold, it will in fact sample both sides and replace the fold with an average of the two. This is fine if the fold is in a plain area, like a cloudless sky. If the fold goes through an area with detail, it will put some combination of that detail across the fold, which probably won’t work for you.
JD
Joe D
Apr 1, 2010
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:57:51 -0400, Leo Lichtman wrote
(in article ):

They may appear to
do the same thing, but you will find a difference if you try to use the healing tool right next to a detail you are keeping. It will replace the area inside the circle with
some of that detail, which can make kind of a mess.

Thanks. It’s so obvious once you know it! 🙂

Joe Dee from NYC
SJ
Steve JORDI
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks all for your help.
It’s a bit clearer in my mind now and I will try the heal solution. If not happy with the result, I’ll go with good old stamp ! 🙂

Sincerely,
Steve JORDI

(Remove the K_I_L_LSPAM from my email address)
————————————————
1197 Prangins Email:
————————————————
MovieDB at www.sjmoviedb.com
————————————————

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections