D
Posted By
Dave
Apr 4, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought a Notebook two days ago with Vista installed.
This is in fact the first time I work with Vista as I usually (always) have XP installed. For some or another reason
Vista can not display jpg’s or png images. Would somebody by any chance have a solution?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
Joel
Apr 5, 2010
Dave wrote:

This is in fact the first time I work with Vista as I usually (always) have XP installed. For some or another reason
Vista can not display jpg’s or png images. Would somebody by any chance have a solution?

NONE computer (both Destop and Notebook) suppose to display JPG, PNG and most if not all other formats *until* the proud owner installing some graphic viewer that supports the JPG, PNG and any format s/he wants it to display.

IOW, there is nothing wrong with the norebook nor Vista, nor Win7, nor Win95. The problem that it doesn’t have the graphic viewer to display the format.
BI
Bill Idgerant
Apr 5, 2010
On 04/04/2010 7:06 PM, Joel wrote:
Dave wrote:

NONE computer (both Destop and Notebook) suppose to display JPG, PNG and most if not all other formats *until* the proud owner installing some graphic viewer that supports the JPG, PNG and any format s/he wants it to display.

IOW, there is nothing wrong with the norebook nor Vista, nor Win7, nor Win95. The problem that it doesn’t have the graphic viewer to display the format.

Use your internet machine to locate a download of Irfan View and then watch all your .pngs to your heart’s content

Bill Idgerant
The poster formerly known as Roger Thaat
V
Voivod
Apr 5, 2010
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:06:01 -0500, Joel scribbled:

Dave wrote:

Yeah, except for the default ‘Windows Photo Gallery’ which comes with ALL versions of Vista… might want to research those things you have no clue about BEFORE spouting off about them.
D
Dave
Apr 5, 2010
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:06:01 -0500, Joel wrote:

Dave wrote:

Disagree completely, Uncle Joel. This is my twentieth year on computers and it never was necessary to install a viewer for Jpg’s. Problem being with (the specific version) of Vista.
D
Dave
Apr 5, 2010
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:10:43 -0600, Bill Idgerant
wrote:

Use your internet machine to locate a download of Irfan View and then watch all your .pngs to your heart’s content

Suddenly came to the answer. I see it can display JPG photos taken with my camera. The JPG’s it can not show are those made with a capture program. The problem is less serious than what I thought. In fact, I think I simply have to recapture it. (Sometimes I capture portions of text and save it as jpg. Those does not show on Vista.)

Thanks for the replies. The problem is solved.
J
Joel
Apr 5, 2010
Bill Idgerant wrote:

On 04/04/2010 7:06 PM, Joel wrote:
Dave wrote:

I don’t have problem viewing any graphic format, so I don’t need Irfan View
J
Joel
Apr 5, 2010
Dave wrote:

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:10:43 -0600, Bill Idgerant
wrote:

Suddenly came to the answer. I see it can display JPG photos taken with my camera. The JPG’s it can not show are those made with a capture program. The problem is less serious than what I thought. In fact, I think I simply have to recapture it. (Sometimes I capture portions of text and save it as jpg. Those does not show on Vista.)
Thanks for the replies. The problem is solved.

Well the problem is much more than you have thought. Cuz

– Most if not ALL graphic viewer should be able to display 99.99% of all graphic formats it supports, even if you RENAME it. IOW, you should be able to display the one you captured or saved to wrong extention.

– Most graphic editor/retoucher (like Photoshop for example) sould refuse to open any graphic file with *wrong* extension.

Now about your capturing issue, I dunno how you do it. But if you do then you will have to follow these few basic steps

1. You copy to clipboard (graphic is different than video)

2. Open a graphic editor then PASTE the one in clipboard to it.

3. Then SAVE to file. Now, you DO NOT just type whatever extension you want, but you have to SELECT a specific format/extension then you can type in the extension matches the format you chose.

IOW, if the selection is .BMP but you type DAVE.JPG then Photoshop won’t open it.
J
Joel
Apr 5, 2010
Dave wrote:

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:06:01 -0500, Joel wrote:

Dave wrote:

Disagree completely, Uncle Joel. This is my twentieth year on computers and it never was necessary to install a viewer for Jpg’s. Problem being with (the specific version) of Vista.

Ohhh.. that’s the smart nephew. If I knew it was you then I should ignored like suppose too. Now back to your case.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections