C
Posted By
Chris
Dec 18, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My (obviously not so) trusty Nvidia 7600GT card failed on me a few days ago. I replaced it with a Radeon 4670. I have to admit, I didn’t do a lot of research beforehand – I just wanted to get a picture back on my monitor!

The snag is that, the GPU setting is now greyed out for "Enable OpenGL Drawing". I’ve tried updating Photoshop to 11.0.1, updating the card driver from 9.09 to 9.10, and running the CS4 GPU optional plug-ins – but it remains greyed out.

I’m aware the 4670 isn’t on the list of supported cards – the 7600GT was – but I would have thought it met the specs.

Am I missing something? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
JasonSpr
Dec 18, 2009
On Dec 18, 10:38 am, Chris wrote:
My (obviously not so) trusty Nvidia 7600GT card failed on me a few days ago.  I replaced it with a Radeon 4670.  I have to admit, I didn’t do a lot of research beforehand – I just wanted to get a picture back on my monitor!

The snag is that, the GPU setting is now greyed out for "Enable OpenGL Drawing".  I’ve tried updating Photoshop to 11.0.1, updating the card driver from 9.09 to 9.10, and running the CS4 GPU optional plug-ins – but it remains greyed out.

I’m aware the 4670 isn’t on the list of supported cards – the 7600GT was – but I would have thought it met the specs.

Am I missing something?  Is there anything else I can try?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris

Here is a link to Adobe’s list of supported and tested video cards. I don’t see the 4670 or 4000 series listed there, so I don’t think you’re missing anything other than a compatible video card. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405445.html
G
gowanoh
Dec 19, 2009
Actually the ATI 4000 series is supported by Adobe. I presume this is a PCIe card as I do not believe there is an AGP version for older computers. ATI, like Nvidia, uses a unified driver model across its line meaning that cards of the same series use the same driver.
I have an ATI 4000 series card and can assure you that the GPU acceleration works in CS4. It does not do much but it does work.
Make sure you have the latest driver installed–the one that comes on the CD with the card is ancient.
Once you get it working you will wonder what you were worried about missing.
C
Chris
Dec 20, 2009
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:31:16 -0800, "igotsaurus" wrote:

Actually the ATI 4000 series is supported by Adobe. I presume this is a PCIe card as I do not believe there is an AGP version for older computers. ATI, like Nvidia, uses a unified driver model across its line meaning that cards of the same series use the same driver.
I have an ATI 4000 series card and can assure you that the GPU acceleration works in CS4. It does not do much but it does work.
Make sure you have the latest driver installed–the one that comes on the CD with the card is ancient.

Thanks for the answers. I did have GPU acceleration working with the 7600GT so I’m aware that I can live without it – but I like to have everything working!

Oddly, the link to the article listing cards that have been tested with *Photoshop* CS4, as opposed to the general Creative Suite (kb405711) seems to be dead.

Anyway, I see ATI have posted newer drivers – 9.12. 9.09 were supplied with the card on the CD, and 9.11 were on the ATI site when I got the card – but they caused my PC to reboot during the installation, which seems to have been a common problem. So I’ll see if 9.12 are any better…

Chris.
J
JasonSpr
Dec 21, 2009
On Dec 20, 4:27 pm, Chris wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:31:16 -0800, "igotsaurus" wrote:

Thanks for the answers.  I did have GPU acceleration working with the 7600GT so I’m aware that I can live without it – but I like to have everything working!

Oddly, the link to the article listing cards that have been tested with *Photoshop* CS4, as opposed to the general Creative Suite (kb405711) seems to be dead.

Anyway, I see ATI have posted newer drivers – 9.12.   9.09 were supplied with the card on the CD, and 9.11 were on the ATI site when I got the card – but they caused my PC to reboot during the installation, which seems to have been a common problem.  So I’ll see if 9.12 are any better…

Chris.

@igotsaurus What specific video card model are you?
@Chris If updating the driver to 9.12 doesn’t work I wouldn’t give up yet, since thanks to igot we have some proof that the 4000 series can work – It might be worth it (or it might not) to reinstall Photoshop, or perhaps CS4. It’s possible CS4 has made some sort of hardware profile when it was installed, and that might need to be refreshed. I wouldn’t give this any more than a 25% chance of helping, but it certainly something I would try. Good luck,

JG
C
Chris
Dec 29, 2009
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:34:27 -0800 (PST), JasonSpr
wrote:

@igotsaurus What specific video card model are you?
@Chris If updating the driver to 9.12 doesn’t work I wouldn’t give up yet, since thanks to igot we have some proof that the 4000 series can work – It might be worth it (or it might not) to reinstall Photoshop, or perhaps CS4. It’s possible CS4 has made some sort of hardware profile when it was installed, and that might need to be refreshed. I wouldn’t give this any more than a 25% chance of helping, but it certainly something I would try. Good luck,

JG

9.12 didn’t make any difference, and I’ve been pondering whether to reinstall over Christmas…

Since then, though, I’ve downloaded some OpenGL benchmarking tools, and they don’t recognise my card as supporting OpenGL 2.0. So it really looks like the problem lies with the card. Which is odd, because the ATI site clearly states that the 4670 supports OpenGL 2.0.

Oh well – time to ask the maker, I think. Just as soon as I can get at the code number they require to register on their site – it’s helpfully printed on a label stuck on the bottom of the card, so I’ll practically have to dismantle the PC to see it. Why couldn’t they say you’ll need it on the instruction leaflet?!

Chris.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections