L
Posted By
Licinio
Oct 22, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have seen the Gimp has an interesting method to convert colour photos into black and white: the so called c2g filter found under the Gegl operations menu. Is there anything of the kind in Photoshop? I use CS1, but will soon upgrade to CS4. Thanks
Andrea
www.licinio.altervista.org

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
rob
Oct 22, 2009
Licinio wrote:
I have seen the Gimp has an interesting method to convert colour photos into black and white: the so called c2g filter found under the Gegl operations menu. Is there anything of the kind in Photoshop? I use CS1, but will soon upgrade to CS4. Thanks
Andrea
www.licinio.altervista.org

yes CS4

CS

Looking for more information about black and white conversion. Check out some of these great web sites.

Nightlight Images
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/bwfromcol.html

Tom Nieman’s Site
http://epaperpress.com/psphoto/index.html

Jeff Schewe • Pixel Genius
http://www.pixelgenius.com/tips/schewe-color-bw.pdf
G
gowanoh
Oct 23, 2009
There is nothing you can do that can’t be done . . . in Photoshop. All B&W conversions are similar at the core. They only vary in the means for adjusting selective color tonality.
There are several ways to do this in CS1: you must struggle to learn.
L
Licinio
Oct 24, 2009
On Oct 23, 4:10 pm, "lebouef" wrote:
There is nothing you can do that can’t be done . . . in Photoshop. All B&W conversions are similar at the core. They only vary in the means for adjusting selective color tonality.
There are several ways to do this in CS1:  you must struggle to learn.

I’m sure there’s a way, that’s why I was asking!
If any of you guys have experimented with this technique, please let me know.
N
nmg1217
Feb 8, 2010
On 10/24/2009 1:04 AM, Licinio wrote:
On Oct 23, 4:10 pm, "lebouef" wrote:
There are several ways to do this in CS1: you must struggle to learn.

I’m sure there’s a way, that’s why I was asking!
If any of you guys have experimented with this technique, please let me know.

In my earliest PS class (on CS1), the teacher had a list of eight ways to convert color to black and white. Since then, Adobe added a very precise way to control color tonality to achieve the best black and white image. I presume that learning the eight official ways to convert and learning the new system are part of the struggle to which Leboeuf refers. However, I still find an unofficial method the easiest to use:

1. Correct your image to attain the best possible color image.

2. Add two HSL layers on top.

3. Open the top HSL layer and fully desaturate.

4. Change the blend mode for the lower HSL layer to color.

5. Open the lower HSL, and move the Hue slider to find the best B&W image. Voila.

This method may not as precise as the new B&W conversion option, but it’s a lot easier.

Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections