E
Posted By
ElliR
Apr 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
During a routine weekly virus scan on my PC using Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2009 I received the following report – all being described as VERY DANGEROUS:-

1. C:\Programme Files\Adobe Bridge CS4\browser\plugins\ msxml4.dll
2. \Adobe Device Central\CS4\Required\Opera\program\plugins\ NPSWF32.dll

The same NPSWF32.dll files also repeated for:-

3. \Adobe\Adobe Extension Manager CS4
4. \Common Files\Adobe Air\Versions\1.0\Resources\
5. \Common Files\Adobe Air\Versions\1.0\

Now checking with the Kaspersky site it would appear that all are associated with Adobe Flash Player. The warning on the site is dated 25th February and the advice given is to update to the latest release of Flash.

However, it would appear that the latest release for Flash Player is 10.0.22.87 which is what I have installed.

Can anyone throw any more light on this please? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Apr 3, 2009
Sounds like a false positive to me, try installing a trial version of some other anti-virus programs and scan that file with them or use the online anti-virus scanning that some anti-virus companies offer
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 3, 2009
I agree. probably false, but it doesn’t hurt to double check…

avg free is a good alternative

<http://free.avg.com/>
BL
Bob Levine
Apr 3, 2009
Second for AVG Free. Up to 8.5 now.

Bob
E
ElliR
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks for that. I ran a couple of free online virus and security checkers and both came up clean.
S
SDA
Apr 3, 2009
Actually fellas; Kaspersky is considered one of the very best anti-virus, anti-trojan softwares available. AVG isn’t even in the same league as Kasperksy and AntiMalwareBytes (another best of breed).

I wouldn’t necessarily say it a false positive; as Acrobat & Flash have had major security flaws recently. That’s why it’s being flagged. I follow these things as it’s my business to.

To the OP I would ask (since you didn’t mention it; Have you downloaded the very latest Kasperksky definitions, since you say you’ve got the latest Flash/Acrobat security fixes ? I only ask this as it’s well known that Kaspersky is very popular on P2P and those owners don’t necessarily update their definitions, (actually usually they can’t).
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 3, 2009
Acrobat & Flash have had major security flaws recently. That’s why it’s being flagged.

that’s what i figured too. but it’s a very different thing reporting something that has a security flaw than reporting an active infection…

AVG isn’t even in the same league as Kasperksy

bah. 😉 although i am surprise at how well kaspersky has done in the last few years. no one is saying it’s better, we’re just saying get a second opinion before flipping out.

updating the kaspersky defs is a good idea.

this might be useful.
<http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/>

then again he MIGHT have a virus.
S
SDA
Apr 3, 2009
O and to follow up here is some additonal information for the OP. Apparently one should check the version of this dill to ensure that it came from legit/official sources as it’s had a bit of a history.

< http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&amp ;q=NPSWF32.dll+trojan+or+virus%3F>
or
<http://preview.tinyurl.com/dyab4q>

The OP can also use the free online scanner that Kaspersky thoughtfully offers to scan his PC with up-to-date definitions;
<http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/free-virus-scanner.php>
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Apr 3, 2009
I dunno, i prefer nod32 or bitdefender as alternatives, also heard of avira as being a good up and coming (free) antivirus program though i haven’t had the chance to check it out yet
S
SDA
Apr 3, 2009
@Dave
AVG is OK for mom/pop I’d never use it on a workstation, here’s why. It’s a well known resource hog when running a scan; something Kaspersky isn’t. I’m a programmer as well, so I appreciate the skill of the Kasperksy team over the guy that writes AVG. Gimme a Russian programmer any day as they probably some of the best in the world. I know, I know, a generalization …
S
SDA
Apr 3, 2009
@Zeno
Yup nod32 is good, Bitdefender; I haven’t had good results with. It borked a workstation I had under my control by deleting some files permanetly. It’s too evasive for my taste but always YMMV.
S
SDA
Apr 3, 2009
er evasive should have been Invasive.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 3, 2009
t’s a well known resource hog when running a scan

it is. i let it run overnight. i also run it in addition to nav 05.

I’m a programmer as well

me too.
S
SDA
Apr 3, 2009
@Dave I didn’t know you wrote code as well, Cool ! 🙂

I’m surprised you run NAV. Is it the enterprise version or the consumer version ? The latter was a well known resource pig, as you probably know. The enterprise version is supposedly much better, both in terms of resources and catching exploits.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 3, 2009
Dave I didn’t know you wrote code as well, Cool !

jack of all languages. flavor of the month seems to be c# and asp.net. it’s interesting and a little confusing sometimes jumping from language to language. just finished about 3 years of heavy java with a little vb6 thrown in, and always lots of web work, xml, dhtml and javascript (or asp with vbscript). haven’t done c++ in a few years now, but i hear there’s some reworking of an older piece of code coming down the pike… ahhh good times. 🙂

I’m surprised you run NAV. Is it the enterprise version or the consumer version ?

consumer, at home. on my main machine. my laptop and kids machines both run mcafee suite (free from comcast cable).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections