Milo: How do I make `transparent` my default for a new file in CS2?

SM
Posted By
Shapiro_Milo
Apr 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever i’ve opened a new file, the default was transparent, as I like it. Recently, something changed and the default is now white. I know HOW to change it for each file, but I’d sure prefer to have the default as I like it.

Also, if a file HAS a white background, is there a simple way to change that to transparent after the initial chance to set it? The only way I know is to create a second new file and copy the old picture over it, but there’s gotta be a better way. Thanks!!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Apr 2, 2009
In the new file dialog box change the "Background Contents" to Transparent.

If you want to convert an image with a background layer to one with a transparent layer you have to make a new blank layer and then double click on the background layer(not the thumbnail or the name) and click ok to turn the background layer into a normal layer and then delete the ex-background layer
K
KatWoman
Apr 2, 2009
when you do FILE>NEW tick the box for transparent

OR if it has a white background layer: double click to unlock the layer>select all>EDIT>clear

no need to make a new layer
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Apr 2, 2009
well, i usually go Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N to make a new layer, double click on the background, click OK and hit Delete with it selected which is at about the same speed(probably a tiny bit faster) as double click layer, hit OK, Ctrl+A, Delete, Ctrl+D

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections