J
Posted By
JackieD
Mar 29, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Approx. a month or so ago colors started seriously screwing up in CS3. Here are some images of the problem:

A screencapture of a .jpg opened in CS3:
<http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6083/cs3screencapture.jpg>

The same image viewed in Win XP default Windows Pic and Fax viewer: < http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8836/screenshotwindowsxp.jp g>

Another .jpg in Photoshop CS3:
< http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1146/flowerphotoshopcs3scre e.jpg>

…same image viewed in Windows Pic and Fax viewer:
< http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7393/flowerscreenscapturewe b.jpg>

The odd thing is that the colors revert to normal in Photoshop’s Save for Web and Devices dialogue box…here’s a screenshot:

< http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/663/cs3screenshotsaveforweb .jpg>

Here’s the same image open in the Gimp(!)…
<http://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gimpu.jpg>

My vid. card is Nvidia GForce 8900 GT..with the latest drivers.

I’ve tried opening images with the different settings on the Adobe Profile Mismatch dialogue box as well as changing the settings around in Preferences/Color Settings.

My second monitor is a 12Wx Cintiq and although the images don’t look as garish (because it’s a better monitor) the colors are still whacky…electric blues, greens and purples.

I’ve also tried deleting Adobe preferences file and uninstalling and reinstalling preferences.

I haven’t tried uninstalling Huey monitor calibration.because it was installed about 6 mo. before this problem started.

Does anyone have any clues as to the problem? Because of this problem Photoshop is now unusable. I was thiking about upgrading to CS4 but that’s out because the trial version of CS4 has the same problem :-/
thanks,
Jackie

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MB
Michael_Brower
Mar 29, 2009
Looks to me like you need to re-calibrate your monitor.

Michael
J
JackieD
Mar 29, 2009
Thanks for your suggestion but my main monitor is calibrated with Huey..and recalibrating doesn’t fix the problem.

I’ve just fixed it after changing the color setting to Cintiq – the colors look less garish (although a bit washed out). All the other settings..ie Adobe RGB 1998 & SRgB etc look garish).

I don’t understand why the Cintiq setting fixes the problem. Maybe Huey isn’t working properly on main monitor (a Chimei)?
J
JackieD
Mar 29, 2009
Also..if the problem was one of calibration colors would look the same (ie garish) in every other program, including GIMP and Windows default image viewer, but they only look bad in Photoshop(!?!).
P
pfigen
Mar 29, 2009
You’ve got untagged RGB images being displayed in both color managed and non color managed applications.

Photoshop will assume that your untagged RGB image is in whatever the current RGB workspace is. If your images are in fact in the same color space as your working space even though they’re untagged, they will look fine.

When you view thos same images in your non color managed applications, htey will either be assumed to be sRGB or "Monitor RGB" depending on the app.

Can you post a screen shot of your current color settings, including color management and profile policies, as well as your make a model of monitor, as well as what your calibration settings are.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 29, 2009
No, applications that don’t use the display profile (that’s most of them) won’t be affected by a bad display profile. Only applications actively using the display profile will be affected (like Photoshop).

What you’re showing is a classic example of a bad display profile, or a bad choice of working space in Photoshop.

Check for updates to the Huey software.
Then check your color settings in Photoshop.
If neither of those fixes it, set your display profile back to the factory default and see about replacing the Huey.
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 29, 2009
Factory default being no profile at all. Using the color profiles that come with your monitor is always a bad idea as they’re never accurate.
G
gowanoh
Mar 29, 2009
Presuming you have Huey drivers installed and have calibrated the monitor you cannot assume that the correct profile is loaded in the OS with Vista unless you start Photoshop immediately after booting.
Unfortunately Vista can unload the monitor profile under a variety of common circumstances, for example when the idiot user account warning comes up, and does not reload the correct monitor profile.
You can manually check to make sure the correct profile is loaded by the OS and switch to it.
This is a defect that Microsoft has not corrected and many Photoshop users do not realize how often they may be working with the incorrect monitor profile loaded. Because most users now use LCD panels which are calibrated at their default settings, which do not drift much while the monitor is in use, the problem is often not apparent.
You also need to see if the settings for the NVidia driver have not been changed and are at their defaults as these will override whatever you achieved with your Huey profile.
However I agree with most people above that you are likely mixing and unmatching color spaces.
B
Buko
Mar 29, 2009
factory default is just a test and will much better than a corrupt profile.
J
JackieD
Mar 30, 2009
pfigen…

Sorry..not sure what you mean by untagged RGB images etc? To make sure the problem wasn’t something to do with my digi camera I also captured 2 images as screenshots from Flickr. It’s the same problem with everything bought in to photoshop…screenshots, images from another camera, from the web, and my camera…everything in PS looks baaad (except when I change the setting to Cintiq display).

<Photoshop will assume that your untagged RGB image is in whatever the current RGB workspace is. If your images are in fact in the same color space as your working space even though they’re untagged, they will look fine.>

I used to cut and paste images from the internet or other applications without any problems for years in various versions of PS…so it’s odd that the problem started a few weeks ago.

<Can you post a screen shot of your current color settings, including color management and profile policies, as well as your make a model of monitor, as well as what your calibration settings are.

The settings screenshot here:

<http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/108/settingsf.jpg>

How do I find my calibration settings..I just let Huey do its thing.

My monitor is a Chimei TC0 03. Luckily my partner has a newer model Chimei that we can test. If PS looks ok on his monitor hooked up to my pc then it’s probably my monitor that’s the problem. Is it possible that a monitor’s colors can degrade over time..and is not fixable by calibration?

Thanks very much for your help and suggestions pfigen and everyone.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 30, 2009
is cs3’s color settings, switch from monitor rgb to srgb or adobe rgb.

ditch that monitor profile you made and start a new one from scratch (iow, don’t use that one as a starting point.)

don’t worry, the cavalry will be back soon. there are some really good color people helping in this thread. listen to them and they’ll get you straightened out, toot sweet.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 30, 2009
oh, "untagged" images meaning that there’s no color profile assigned to them…
GK
Geoff_K_Jackson
Mar 30, 2009
I agree with Dave, change Working Space RGB to Adobe RGB. Also, under Color Management Policies change change the RGB setting to Preserve Embedded Profiles but keep the 3 boxes below ticked. Try this before making a new monitor profile, that may be OK but your problem is with using the monitor profile as a working space.
Geoff.
JB
John_Blaustein
Mar 30, 2009
And after making the changes to the settings that Dave and Geoff suggested, when you open an image and get a profile mismatch, you might try converting to your (new) working space (either sRGB or Adobe RGB).

John
P
pfigen
Mar 30, 2009
No, no, no. You don’t need to convert to any new work space, at least not automatically.

The problem here is entirely due to turning off RGB color management and using the monitor profile as the work space. With the untagged images, we still don’t know what color space they’re in, so, if they are in something like ProPhoto and you’re opening them into the Monitor space and effectively assuming them to be in the wrong space, there’ the problem – the difference between the real working space and the monitor. Funny how this is the reason for about 98 percent of the color confusion in the last year or two around here.
JB
John_Blaustein
Mar 30, 2009
My apologies for posting inaccurate information.

John
J
JackieD
Apr 1, 2009
Many thanks for the suggestions re settings, but it didn’t fix the color problem. I think it’s a monitor problem because after swapping my partner’s newer one (same brand..Chimei) I can now cut and paste images, open .jpgs from my Nikon camera and other images in CS3 and there’s no color shift(!)

To make doubly sure I tried opening images with different settings in Adobe preferences color management and same deal…no change in color.

Looks like I need a new monitor. Can anyone recommend a good one..preferably under $600AUD ($US400) if possible.

Another question: since reinstalling CS3 Nikon .nef files won’t open from Bridge into Photoshop. I used to be able to open them before I reinstalled cS3 (at least I think I did)?

Thanks so much for all your support 🙂
Jackie
C
Curvemeister
Apr 1, 2009
I’d like to add to Chris’s response, which I believe is spot on. If the problem shows up in a screen shot, and affects only Photoshop, it is not the monitor that is to blame.

I’ll bet Euros to eclairs that it’s a corrupt monitor profile, courtesy of the Huey. If you’ve already tried updating the Huey software, I’d recommend installing the manufacturer’s generic monitor profiles (in the display control panel). If you have no generic profile, use sRGB.

If after this your images look better in Photoshop, sell the Huey on eBay and either do without a calibration device, or get something like the Spyder Pro or i1 display.
F
Freeagent
Apr 1, 2009
I’m willing to bet that’s a color settings screw-up.

Look at the screenshots again. Take the "Windows" screenshot, make sure it’s in sRGB, and then ASSIGN ProPhoto to it. That’s exactly how "the wrong" screenshot looks.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 1, 2009
Try resetting your preferences per the FAQ, because you’ve messed up your color settings.
B
Buko
Apr 1, 2009
since reinstalling CS3 Nikon .nef files won’t open from Bridge into Photoshop.

You need to reinstall the newest ACR plugin 4.6 I think.
J
JackieD
Apr 2, 2009
Guess what guys..you were all right..my Huey is screwy! :-/ I found out because I just calibrated my "new" screen (ie my partner’s screen) and the whacky color problem is back. I’ll contact the shop I bought it from tomorrow. Unfortunately the Huey is a couple of weeks out of warranty. I’ll speak to them first before uninstalling the software…a) because I’ve lost the disc that came with the Huey and b) it was working ok for 6 months. I paid for the darn thing so I’d like to it working again if possible. Anyway..appreciate all your help. Thanks.

Buko..thanks..that must be the problem. Downloading updates now. Cheers.
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 2, 2009
If you do replace the Huey, get an Eye-one or Spyder. Huey has a bad reputation.
F
Freeagent
Apr 2, 2009
Jackie,

Can you report back later how it all turned out?

I’m really curious about this one.
J
JackieD
Apr 2, 2009
Freeagent …will do.
John…I wish I’d known before buying it. :-/

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections