SC
Posted By
Sharon_Cooke
Mar 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m taking an internet class in Photoshop for scrapbookers at Jessica Sprague’s site (very good, by the way, if any scrapbookers are looking at this). She is using CS3 to teach the course and I am using CS4 to take it.

Here’s the discrepancy. When she draws a circle on an image by holding down shift/alt with the elliptical marquee tool, she starts the circle from the center of the circle but from the edge of the image. When she lets go of the mouse, her circle remains drawn and suspended out of sight off the image and she’s able to move the circle around on the image. When I let go of the mouse in CS4, the selection commits itself to the image and I wind up with a fixed selection in the shape of a polygon with one completely rounded side. When I move the selection, the straight edges move with the curved edges, making it impossible for me to do what the teacher wants me to do. I found a workaround for it by moving the image temporarily onto a much bigger new file, but I–and other students in the class–are really curious about how to make this work as our teacher does. One of the other stumped students just suggested to me that this might be because we’re working in CS4. Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help; it is often a great comfort to know this forum is here!

Sharon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

F
Freeagent
Mar 26, 2009
It does indeed work as you describe in CS3 and CS4 respectively (I tried both).

It may be related to new canvas-edge behavior that is affecting some other tools as well – for instance you can no longer contract a selection from the canvas edge.

I’m sure there is a sensible reason for this, but you probably can’t do much about it.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Mar 26, 2009
Another reason to stay with CS3.
DS
Dennis_S
Mar 26, 2009
Are you sure she isn’t holding the Space Bar while she does this? That will do what you want if I am understanding your explanation correctly. The trick is to press and hold the space bar before you let up on the mouse button.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections