Posted By
KiwiC
Mar 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PS 11.0.1 on Windows XP SP3.

I find the tabbed interface a real pain as it really limits dragging and dropping ability. How do you drag a layer or effect? Dragging onto the tab does nothing. But that is entirely off-topic…

The problem is that when I choose to "Float All in Windows" the windows float ABOVE the palettes! I couldn’t figure out what was going on at first – opening a palette and nothing happens. Then I realised they’re hidden under the document window. Did the developers forget to test this??

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BL
Bob Levine
Mar 26, 2009
Drag the layer from the image, not the layers panel.

Bob
B
Buko
Mar 26, 2009
you can also dupe a layer/s in the layer panel and target any open image.
K
KiwiC
Mar 26, 2009
I knew I shouldn’t have gone off topic! Thanks Bob & Buko – I didn’t know about the dupe solution, that’s the one I’ll use. Bob, I was thinking about adjustment layers and effects, but thanks for the tip.

I really want to know if the UI issue is a bug – do others experience this? How do I post a bug report?
JW
John_Waller
Mar 26, 2009
How do I post a bug report?

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Regards

John Waller
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Mar 26, 2009
Did the developers forget to test this??

If it isn’t specked, it isn’t tested, therefore probably not a bug.

It may be considered an enhancement or some other classification that testers and others may suggest. Sometimes, enhancements in retrospect seem so right that their absence becomes a bug! This could be one of them.
K
KiwiC
Mar 26, 2009
There is nothing "So Right" or "Enhanced" about this. It’s just plain wrong and broken. It worked fine in the previous version when windows "floated" anyway. They obviously decided to make tabs, and then didn’t bother checking how the old floating windows were doing!
R
Rothrock
Mar 26, 2009
You can drag an adjustment layer from the image as well. I just tried it and it works! If the adjustment layer is selected and you have the selection tool, click on the image, drag up to the tab, pause until it switches to the new tab, and then let go.

Seems a shame that you can’t drag it from the layers panel though….

As for the panels. If they are docked then I see the artwork over them. But if they are floating on their own then I see the artwork under them. Certainly a bit hinky.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections