Posted By
Francesco_Fantauzzi
Mar 25, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
going to Edit > Preferences > Performance … I read under “GPU Settings”: “No GPU options available with Photoshop Standard”. However, placing the mouse cursor over it, the Description box indicates that graphics hardware acceleration is unavailable and I need to upgrade video driver and possibly video card.

I don’t understand then if it is a PS version issue (am I expected to buy/upgrade anything to have PS use GPU?) or a video driver issue. What should I do, any advice?

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DS
Dennis_S
Mar 25, 2009
If you have CS3 then, yes, you are expected to upgrade to CS4 (by Adobe, anyway 🙂 ). CS3 Extended also had limited support of GPU functions but not plain CS3.
F
Freeagent
Mar 25, 2009
if it is a PS version issue

No, it’s not, it’s just unfortunate phrasing. The emphasis is on "no GPU options", not on "with Photoshop standard".

The problem is the video driver. Keep checking for driver updates until it’s fixed (assuming your card supports OpenGL 2.0 at all. It might not if it’s a laptop).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections