D
Posted By
dpick
Mar 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
ExtemeTech article showing that GPU is as important as CPU. Interesting read, plus I found out about the new Pixel Bender Plugin.

<http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2342736,00.asp>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 24, 2009
actually that article isn’t that great, they should have tested the same system but with and without GPU acceleration and not completely different systems. And the systems tested were mostly crap. Look at the "mid range" system, it uses a Intel Extreme processor with a 790i motherboard and only 2gb ram? Only 4gb or ram on the "high end" system? And look at those pathetic drives, they used 250gb per platter drives, those are ancient, they’re two generations behind.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 24, 2009
Not exactly up to scientific standards, but interesting nonetheless.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Mar 25, 2009
Unless you were really cutting corners, running any Core i7 without all three slots filled is cheating yourself. DDR3 is a three channel system.

You can run with even just one stick, but why bother?

Also, the role of stress testing is not understood by the tester. You stress test to check for stability, not speed.

Using SSD for scratch isn’t necessarily going to speed things up either as the write speed of most currently on the market cannot do any better than an HD running at 7200 RPM. I tested exactly that setup (well, I ran an i7 920 2.67GHz, overclocked close to the XE he used)and found the SSD about 0.2 sec slower in a filter that took 14 sec on that system.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 25, 2009
a thanks from me larry, for providing your experiences and insight on the new intel systems…
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Mar 25, 2009
🙂

Now, off to work…..

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections