Posted By
Andrew_Myob
Mar 18, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

[New Poster Alert]

I have a 48bit RGB TIF file, and I would like to save just one channel from that file as a 16bit Grayscale.

Having done a bit of digging, I have found numerous ways to convert the whole image to Grayscale, with varying degrees of artistic control, but nothing about ripping out a single channel.

Can it be done? How? Have I just overlooked the obvious somewhere?

I would like to do this with as little user intervention as possible as I’m likely to want to do it, in batch mode, to a lot of images.

PS: I have no objection to a solution that actually saves all three channels in one operation, each to a separate file. I can always throw away the spares.

Regards, Andrew.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

O
OldBob
Mar 18, 2009
In the Channels flyout; will ‘Split Channels’ and saving the results work for you?
AM
Andrew_Myob
Mar 18, 2009
That has to be the fastest winner of my "hero of the week" award in quite a long time!

Split Channels certainly gets the data the way I want it.

Now I just have to work out the best way of automating the save(s).

Many Thanks,
O
OldBob
Mar 18, 2009
Sorry. Next time I’ll try not to make you wait so long. XD

Glad I could help.
P
Phosphor
Mar 18, 2009
Another, perhaps easier way would be to choose Duplicate Channel form the flyout and select Document>New in the dialog dropdown.
AM
Andrew_Myob
Mar 19, 2009

[I originally posted this last night, but it never made it…]

I would agree that this is a quicker way to extract a single layer (my original goal) but the result seems to think it is an "Alpha Channel" and refuses to be saved as a TIF. [I’m sure I ought to know what to do with an "Alpha Channel", but my education hasn’t got that far yet].
F
Freeagent
Mar 19, 2009
Click desired channel in the channels panel, select all, copy, paste into new doc.
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 19, 2009
The reason why you can’t save it as a TIF is because the image created using the Duplicate Channel command is in Multichannel mode. You have to convert it to Grayscale by going to Image->Mode->Grayscale and then you can save it as a TIF
AM
Andrew_Myob
Mar 19, 2009
Thanks All, so far so good.
I may be back when I discover I don’t know how to automate the naming/saving of these new files.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections