suggestions on how to improve a picture in PS?

AA
Posted By
Art_A._Vandelay
Mar 14, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone,

I took a picture of a romantic place in Durham (England). You can see it here — <http://www.badongo.com/pic/5470867?size=original>

I think there are things that can be done in Photoshop to improve this picture and do justice to the beautiful scene – for example, somehow accentuate the dramatism of the water reflections, or add lighting effects that can maybe compensate for the less-than-ideal time of the day when the picture was taken.

The first step would be to find the right cropping for the picture, my idea was something like this — <http://www.badongo.com/pic/5470940?size=original>

Then, of course, a certain number of processing steps. I will try to put my rudimentary Photoshop skills to work and see what comes out, but I could really use and appreciate it if anyone would like to try their hand at this too. I want both to put this picture in a better light, and also get a tiny bit better at PS in the process. Some of the effects I had in mind are Light Source, Blur and PhotoFilter; and I’m sure there are a lot others that I don’t know (or don’t use creatively enough) that could be applied with nice results in this case. Once again, I’d be happy to receive any visual suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

F
Freeagent
Mar 14, 2009
This is a nice shot, I wouldn’t mess too much with it. I certainly like the uncropped version better, and the moderate pixel dimensions do not allow much cropping anyway.

It’s difficult to avoid blowing out the highlights in scenes like this without underexposing the shadows. Still, careful adjustments can bring out shadow detail.

My suggestion here would be to work with luminosity masks. Press ctrl+alt+2. This loads a selection of the bright values, while dark values are gradually less selected.

Keep the selection active, and then go to the adjustments panel and make a Curves adjustment layer. A layer mask, "containing" your selection, is created with it. This means that your adjustments will affect the high values more than the low. Invert the mask – ah, well, illustrating it is easier than describing it:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1en07sVdHX6EgHhsW5 ELiZF7UasDn1>

You might try the reverse for the sky (but slightly!). I wouldn’t do very much more, except select the reflections in the water and bring the specular highlights up to pure white (which they aren’t).
AA
Art_A._Vandelay
Mar 15, 2009
Thanks – I’ll try that!
K
KatWoman
Mar 15, 2009
I would try shadow/highlight on a dupe layer first to bring up the contrast in the tree areas, they are quite muddy
cropping like that makes it very grainy and not as interesting composition it looks like a B&W shot till I see color in the people have you alreday desaturated it?
maybe consider adding some more color into it or removing it altogether
K
KatWoman
Mar 15, 2009

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections