Posted By
Byd_Byddles
Mar 14, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,
When I try to open a TIFF file, exported from CorelDraw X4, PS gives me the following error: "Could not complete your request because of a program error".

I use Photoshop CS2 and CS4, and CorelDraw 12 and X4.

In CS2 I can open tiffs exported from CorelDraw 12 and X4 without problems. In CS4 I can open tiffs, exported from CorelDraw 12, but cannot open these from X4.

I’ve tried various settings for tif export in corel – no compression, LZW compression, with & without applying ICC profile, RGB & CMYK color, etc… The result is always the same.

Any ideas?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
Mar 14, 2009
Why TIF? You’d probably be better off with EPS files.

Bob
BB
Byd_Byddles
Mar 14, 2009
Yes, I work with EPS, but it’s an interesting problem with TIF files, and it would be nice to find the solution.
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 14, 2009
Do they open in PhotoPaint?

Bob
BB
Byd_Byddles
Mar 14, 2009
Yes, tiffs, exported from CorelDraw X4, can be opened without problems in PhotoPaint 12 & X4.
KP
Kwan_Parker
Mar 14, 2009
Apparently not a new problem and not limited to CS4.

Feb. 2008: "What is going on with .tiff files from X4? I tried importing one into OmniPage Pro 14 to OCR and it returned an error message. I had to open the .tiff in X3 and save it for it to work."
See: <http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/3677.aspx>

There appears to be a "fix," at least for CS3, linked about halfway down the thread.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 14, 2009
Please send a copy of the TIFF file(s) that fails to ccox [at] adobe [dot] com.
BB
Byd_Byddles
Mar 15, 2009
Thank you, Kwan,
The macro provided there ( < http://macromonster.com/index.php?mod=descr&id_desc=28&a mp;amp >; ) really fix the problem.
BB
Byd_Byddles
Mar 15, 2009
Hi, Chris,
I sent you an email with two tiffs: before and after applying macro, mentioned above. It seems the problem is in CorelDraw X4.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 16, 2009
Yes, the problem is in CorelDraw. They write the IFD (directory) at the end of the file and fail to include the last value (the offset to the next IFD). So when a TIFF reader tries to read the IFD, it reads over the end of the file. Technically, this is a corrupt TIFF file.

I’m not sure how any version of Photoshop read the file – we should have detected the error and bailed out. Hmm, it looks like some versions failed to correctly detect that we were reading over the end of the file by 4 bytes. They read zeros, which just happens to match the "no next directory" value for TIFF. Once we fixed the end of file bug, it exposed the missing value in the CorelDraw TIFF files.

For this specific case, I might be able to add code to work around the corrupt file. But this isn’t a bug in Photoshop — so my change would not be available until the next major release of Photoshop.

You need to notify Corel ASAP so they can fix this bug in their TIFF writing code.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections