H
Posted By
henrik2000
Oct 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. Now i upgraded to 4 GB RAM (with Win XP Pro SP 1). Task Manager and several softwares tell me there are 4 GB RAM inside the machine. But Photoshop 7 and Photoshop CS only see 2 GB, as i can see from the "scratch sizes" display in the status bar. When i use "Help/System info", i get this information:

Built-in memory: 2048 MB
Free memory: 2048 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 1778 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 80 %

Also, now when i open just one small file of 1 MB and do nothing, Photoshop’s scratch size line says "590 M/1,34 G". So Photoshop says it needs 590 MB RAM right from the start. Why?

Do you know how i can bring Photoshop to use all 4 GB RAM? Is a Ramdisk helpful?

A propos: With my new 4 GB RAM i set the virtual files of Windows XP to 4 GB on drive C (4 GB min, 4 GB max). Is that a good setting, from a photoshopper’s viewpoint? Photoshop gets enough scratch discs on other partitions.

Thank you for all hints!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

F
Flycaster
Oct 29, 2003
"Henrik2000" wrote in message
[snip]
Also, now when i open just one small file of 1 MB and do nothing, Photoshop’s scratch size line says "590 M/1,34 G". So Photoshop says it needs 590 MB RAM right from the start. Why?

It shouldn’t. Close PS, re-open, and open a new file (with default settings). You should see about 50-60mb as your scratch.

Do you know how i can bring Photoshop to use all 4 GB RAM? Is a Ramdisk helpful?

Sorry, but you can’t. Both PS and 32bitXP limit RAM usage to 2GB; after deducting for overhead, about 1.8GB is all you can get. Once we go to 64bit OS and apps, this problem goes away.

As for the RAM disk to utilize the remaining 2GB of RAM, others suggest that but I am unfamiliar with it. I’m sure someone will jump in and lend you hand.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
H
Hecate
Oct 30, 2003
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:44:40 -0800, "Flycaster" wrote:

[snip]

It shouldn’t. Close PS, re-open, and open a new file (with default settings). You should see about 50-60mb as your scratch.

Sorry, but you can’t. Both PS and 32bitXP limit RAM usage to 2GB; after deducting for overhead, about 1.8GB is all you can get. Once we go to 64bit OS and apps, this problem goes away.

As for the RAM disk to utilize the remaining 2GB of RAM, others suggest that but I am unfamiliar with it. I’m sure someone will jump in and lend you hand.
Yep 🙂

OK, the best use of your extra 2Gb is to make a RAM disk or disks. The easiest way to do it, and instructions for doing so, are to use this piece of freeware:

http://www.ramdisk.tk/

Hope that helps 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
H
henrik2000
Oct 30, 2003
Hi, thanks so far. Quite amazing that a software so memory and money hungry as Photoshop does not appreciate more than 2 GB of RAM.
F
Flycaster
Oct 30, 2003
Hi, thanks so far. Quite amazing that a software so memory and money hungry as Photoshop does not appreciate more than 2 GB of RAM.

It can’t eat what it can’t get. The problem is the chef (WinXP), not the restaurant patron (Photoshop).

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
RF
Robert Feinman
Oct 30, 2003
There is a boot parameter that you can adjust to allow xp to use more ram.
The best description I’ve seen is on the web site of panoramafactory software. Search around under his faq section for a step by step proceedure. (Panorama stitching requires lots of ram too).

In article , says…
[snip]

Robert D Feinman

Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramas and Photoshop Tips
http://robertdfeinman.com
H
Hecate
Oct 31, 2003
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:17:19 -0800, "Flycaster" wrote:

It can’t eat what it can’t get. The problem is the chef (WinXP), not the restaurant patron (Photoshop).
Actually, strictly, the problem is 32 bit computing. Doesn’t matter what the OS is, if it’s 32 bit… 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
F
Flycaster
Oct 31, 2003
"Hecate" wrote in message

Actually, strictly, the problem is 32 bit computing. Doesn’t matter what the OS is, if it’s 32 bit… 🙂

Speaking of actually, did you see that post with the link to the MS white paper allowing a modification to the WinXP boot.ini file, supposedly allowing it to allocate up to 3GB to single process? Interesting…

EG
Eric Gill
Oct 31, 2003
Hecate wrote in
news::

Right, but do remember that PS will need to be modified for the newer OSs as they arrive. So far, only one has.
PJ
Paul J Gans
Oct 31, 2003
Henrik2000 wrote:

It can’t. The operating system won’t let it.

—- Paul J. Gans
PJ
Paul J Gans
Oct 31, 2003
Hecate wrote:

No. A full 32 bits will address 4 gigabytes. The problem is in Windows.

The upcoming 64 bit operating system from Windows will address more memory. Of course, you will need a new computer to run it…

—- Paul J. Gans
H
Hecate
Nov 1, 2003
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:50:13 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
wrote:

Hecate wrote:

No. A full 32 bits will address 4 gigabytes. The problem is in Windows.

The upcoming 64 bit operating system from Windows will address more memory. Of course, you will need a new computer to run it…
Yes, you’re right. I wasn’t thinking. It’s 2 to the 32nd power which is 4,294967,296. Sorry. Windows has a 2Gb limit for apps and 2Gb for the OS.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
H
Hecate
Nov 1, 2003
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:43:48 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

Right, but do remember that PS will need to be modified for the newer OSs as they arrive. So far, only one has.

Yes and no. Running Windows 64 for the Athlon, you can use 32 bit PS and it’ll just run a lot faster, though you’ll still have the 2Gb memory limit for PS as that’s the way it’s written. However, anything involving high precision math will gain the highest perform,ance advantages at the outset.

Does anybody know what language PS is written in? The reason I ask is that if it’s a high level language like C++ , making it 64 bit aware shouldn’t be harder than recompiling using a 64 bit compiler.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
H
Hecate
Nov 1, 2003
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:26:04 -0800, "Flycaster" wrote:

"Hecate" wrote in message

Speaking of actually, did you see that post with the link to the MS white paper allowing a modification to the WinXP boot.ini file, supposedly allowing it to allocate up to 3GB to single process? Interesting…
Yes, I saw that. Intriguing. But I think I’#ll wait and see 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
EG
Eric Gill
Nov 1, 2003
Hecate wrote in
news::

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:43:48 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

Yes and no. Running Windows 64 for the Athlon, you can use 32 bit PS and it’ll just run a lot faster,

Sure, but that’s an artifact of the processor, which does a tremendous job running 32-bit apps. Whether or not you’ll gain any incidental speedups from OS-dependent services depends on whether M$ optimizes Win64 well – not a safe bet, in my experience.

though you’ll still have the 2Gb
memory limit for PS as that’s the way it’s written. However, anything involving high precision math will gain the highest perform,ance advantages at the outset.

Well, no, even that will require tweaking PS, such as the recompiling you mention below. Or remanufacturing the critical plugins.

Does anybody know what language PS is written in? The reason I ask is that if it’s a high level language like C++ , making it 64 bit aware shouldn’t be harder than recompiling using a 64 bit compiler.

A variant of C, unless I’m much mistaken, with assembly for speed critical code on a per platform basis.

I have no idea how much will need to be re-written, as I’m given to understand Adobe’s coders have done a lot of working around the limits of previous processors, especially the memory map and VM. The job is likely going to be a bit more than a simple recompile.

As usual in such cases, I hope I’m utterly mistaken and the announcement of a 64-bit clean PS will come right after I finish typing. ;-}
EM
Emil Mroz
Nov 1, 2003
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:03:48 +0000, Hecate wrote:

OK, the best use of your extra 2Gb is to make a RAM disk or disks.

Has any tried the /3GB switch on boot.ini?
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1268/

I’d be interested to know if Photoshop is a "3GB aware application".

— Emil
PS
Paul Singh
Nov 1, 2003
Application has to be AWE aware to use above 2Gb limit. Obviously PS is not. This is not completely XP problem but also Intel’s problem.

Hello. Now i upgraded to 4 GB RAM (with Win XP Pro SP 1). Task Manager and several softwares tell me there are 4 GB RAM inside the machine. But Photoshop 7 and Photoshop CS only see 2 GB, as i can see from the "scratch sizes" display in the status bar. When i use "Help/System info", i get this information:

Built-in memory: 2048 MB
Free memory: 2048 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 1778 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 80 %

A propos: With my new 4 GB RAM i set the virtual files of Windows XP to 4 GB on drive C (4 GB min, 4 GB max). Is that a good setting, from a photoshopper’s viewpoint? Photoshop gets enough scratch discs on other partitions.

Thank you for all hints!
H
Hecate
Nov 2, 2003
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 02:19:29 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

A variant of C, unless I’m much mistaken, with assembly for speed critical code on a per platform basis.

I have no idea how much will need to be re-written, as I’m given to understand Adobe’s coders have done a lot of working around the limits of previous processors, especially the memory map and VM. The job is likely going to be a bit more than a simple recompile.

As usual in such cases, I hope I’m utterly mistaken and the announcement of a 64-bit clean PS will come right after I finish typing. ;-}

😉 If it’s any consolation Win64 optimised for Athlon 64 will be out way before optimised Intel 64 code. And with Intel 64 only running 64 bit apps it’s going to be a cold day in hell before I change over from AMD 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections