BH
Posted By
BILL_HUNT
Mar 10, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Trash your Prefs! You know the mantra. When PS fails to do something, it’s “trash your prefs!”

I wondered why/how one’s preferences ever get corrupted. I’ve use PS, since 2.5 on all sorts of PC’s, sometimes with it running around the clock for days. Never once had I encountered a corrupted preferences file – until now, that is.

What I encountered can only be listed as an “observation.” I’m sure that it is but one possible cause. Still, I thought that I’d share my experience.

Up at 4:00AM to start a rush scan job. Everything boots up fine, and I start PS CS2. As it’s loading the plug-ins, etc., I notice that Sun Microsystems’ Java wants an update and its icon has appeared in the Tasktray of my XP-Pro SP3. I open it, and click “Update Later,” or whatever the exact dialog is. It drops back to the Tasktray. PS seems to be taking a long time to load on my workstation, but I give it a few moments. Nothing. It’s hung at “Reading Text Global Resources.” I check Task Manager – PS is shown as “Not Responding.” Odd, this has NEVER happened before in all those years. Not so much as once.

I remembered that there was an update for Extend Script, that I told PS to hold off on. I go to Updates, via Bridge and it’s still there waiting. I End Task for PS and look for something usable from MS. Of course there’s nothing. Event Viewer shows an “Application Hang,” with no useful info. I install the Extend Script Update, and try PS again. It gets to the same spot and hangs.

OK, I allow Java to update (making sure to NOT allow the installation of the MSN Search Toolbar – sheezh! I try PS yet again. Hang at the same spot.

Re-boot and hang. Though I have said it a thousand times, “trash your prefs,” it takes a moment for it to sink in. I trash my prefs and all is good with PS. Luckily, I had my dual-monitor Workspace saved, and it only takes a minute to change the default preferences back to what I want.

Normally, I have everything, and I mean everything, set to NOT auto-update. I turn this “feature” off for every program that I install. I use Premiere a lot, and do not want Norton, or anybody, waking up and phoning home. I’ll tell ‘em when to update. Well, I missed Java.

I can only guess that it did it’s update thing, just at a critical time for PS’s loading and blew up the prefs file. Had it popped up a second later, or maybe a second earlier, I doubt that I’d have had to trash my prefs. After all these years (decades really), I had a corrupt preferences file.

I’m sure there are a myriad things that can corrupt a preferences file, and I am only guessing at what caused mine. However, the timing is perfect, so Java gets the blame.

Just thought I’d share,

Hunt

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Mar 10, 2009
thanks for sharing hunt! 🙂
DM
Don_McCahill
Mar 10, 2009
I notice that Sun Microsystems’ Java wants an update

Don’t you just love programs and plugins that decide when to update, and interrupt you, rather than letting you look after your own computer?

Why can’t they just send me an email when an update is ready. I get one every month or so from Apple to update software I never (or rarely) use. (and I am on XP Pro).
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 10, 2009
I get one every month or so from Apple to update software I never (or rarely) use. (and I am on XP Pro).

and they always want to install safari web browser! HA! no thanks!
JJ
John Joslin
Mar 10, 2009
Go to the Java applet in Control Panel. You can configure updates from there.
DM
Don_McCahill
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks JJ. I will look into that.
HB
harold_berm
Mar 10, 2009
I always turn off auto updates, for Windows and everything else. I won’t install/run any app that doesn’t allow me to.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Mar 10, 2009
All my software has manual update selected. Safer that way.
F
Freeagent
Mar 11, 2009
….and just this very morning a Vista update killed my calibration LUTs. No way in h*ll I could get them to reload.

This on my work machine, at a very critical moment, and the puck is at home… the only way to keep on working was a full system restore.

Lesson learned here too.
H
Ho
Mar 11, 2009
I was once roundly criticized in a hardware forum for not letting MS Update run in auto mode, installing whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted. My reasoning was that since I use my computer to do real work for which I earn real money—usually by completing some assignment before a deadline—there was no way in hell I was going to let some Microsoft utility run amok on my machine, doing things without my permission.

I couldn’t believe the laughter and derision I got in response to this viewpoint, from people who one would think should know better. They told me to take off my tinfoil hat and get real. I told them that I look very good (jaunty, actually) in my TFH, and that they could kiss my caboose. I later found out that Chris Cox had visited the same forum and that they ran him off, saying "he has no credibility here".

I guess that tells us all we need to know about these experts.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Mar 11, 2009
Well, where I work, with mission critical systems running, when we get an update notice, whether MS or IT, the only hold off is to finish a particular test (or re run it) and due the update now.
BH
BILL_HUNT
Mar 11, 2009
Ho,

I’m squarely with you on that one. If one’s computer is just used for e-mail and browsing, it’s not an issue. Real work, however, trumps getting the latest update, as soon as is possible. I just missed setting Java to manual. It slipped by my defenses. Won’t happen again. I also hate any auto-update, that will require a reboot. Hey, I’m working here. I’ll update and reboot, when I’m finished.

I also think that I need to clarify that I was only making an observation of what was happening on my system. The Java updater was not running yet, but only the "message" pop-up. Also, these two occurrances could have been purely coincidental. I was just the observer. After the prefs corruption, I did run the Java updater, and after the "trashing" of my perfs, all ran very well.

I do not want to scare people off from updating, Java, or anything. I am sorry if I was not clear. As I said, I have no idea whether the message pop-up had any effect whatsoever. It just hit at the same time. [and pissed me off, that I had not thought to properly configure it for my workflow]

Hunt
K
KatWoman
Mar 11, 2009
If JAVA want to retain any credibilty they should quit trying to sneakily install web bars for google with every update
G
Gener
Mar 12, 2009
Mine is for Yahoo. Someone must be paying Sun some serious coin. I guess it helps keep JS free 🙂
JJ
John Joslin
Mar 12, 2009
It’s not exactly sneaky. You can’t miss it if you are used to watching what you are doing.
BC
Bart_Cross
Mar 12, 2009
When I installed Vista, I installed everything. As far as updates, I tell all those programs to download the updates but notify me before installing so I can close out programs temporarily.

With the MS updater, I tell it to look at 3am (which is default) so when I start the computer in the morning, I install the updates before starting work.

"Haven’t had a problem" he says just before an update takes out his system.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 13, 2009
I couldn’t believe the laughter and derision I got in response to this viewpoint,

I can believe any technical person worth keeping on in a recession would laugh at the need to control your production boxes.

If JAVA want to retain any credibilty they should quit trying to sneakily install web bars for google with every update

doesn’t adobe reader do similar? i think it wants to do yahoo though. at least sun picked the winner. 🙂

I guess it helps keep JS free

javascript is not java.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections