AN
Posted By
Aaron Nelson
Sep 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got a maddening problem and don’t know whether to pin the blame on Adobe or Microsoft. I’ll stick to Microsoft for now because they’re easier to hate.

My problem is this; when I double click a graphic (such as a .tif or .jpg) within Explorer or Outlook, it doesn’t open. Photoshop gets all worked up like it’s going to do something, and then doesn’t. Specifically, Photoshop will launch (if it isn’t already open) and then fail to do anything further. This is just one of many issues that have mysteriously presented themselves since I switched from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. At first, XP tried to open all images in it’s hateful little Microsoft Photo Editor. I think you’ll understand when I say I wished to have all photos open by default into Photoshop.

To further deepen the mystery, several peculiarities have become manifest. First, Photoshop is the only program exhibiting this behavior. Microsoft Photo Editor, Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer and Microsoft Paint all do just fine. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with Photoshop, not Windows. Second, PSD FILES WORK JUST FINE. This leads me to the same conclusion.

In an attempt to address this problem I reinstalled Photoshop. Obviously, this had no effect, else I would not bare my soul here. Those with whom I work are helpless neophytes. Our intrepid IT Miracle Worker se dió por vencido after countless minutes of thankless effort. And so I put my petition before you, hoping that the vox populi can bring an end to my trevails, lest I give in to the twin demons of spiritous draughts and loose women.

I implore your kind assistance,

Aaron the graphics semi-pro (I’ll go pro next season)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JS
John Slate
Sep 18, 2003
You cite a common problem for which I can offer no solution but what I have always done: Use the file>open method from within Photoshop.
AN
Aaron Nelson
Sep 18, 2003
Hmm, yes, File:Open is what I’ve had to do. It’s just that I find it very tedious to save every .jpg I’m sent by email before I can open and modify it in Photoshop.

Another side benefit of this problem is that it has robbed me of the Edit Original feature InDesign sports. I’m rather fond of Edit Original. It saves me having to paw through 12,000+ images distributed through the arcane file structure of our server. While it may only take me 60 seconds to locate a given photo, when you multiply 60 seconds by 12,000 photos, you get rather a large number. Hell, multiply any number by 12,000 and you’re talking rather a large number. So you’ll understand when I say I prefer the 3 seconds it takes InDesign to locate and open a file.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 18, 2003
Aaron,

I must say I use Photoshop all the time and I NEVER double click a file to open it. The first thing I do is open Photoshop (if for some strange reason if isn’t already open). I then drag and drop all the images I want to work on to Photoshop on the task bar.

All of my image files are associated with my image viewer.

As for opening from Outlook, check your file associations it sounds like the file name isn’t being passed to Photoshop.
AN
Aaron Nelson
Sep 19, 2003
John and Mr. Photo Help,

First of all, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to address my problem, and yes, you each reference a perfectly valid method of bringing images into photoshop. The problem I’m really trying to address is actually our server. I like to avoid swimming through our sea of buried folders in order to access a photo Davy Jones himself couldn’t find. Being able to double click a jpg I’ve been forwarded and use the convenient little Edit Original button in InDesign can save me hours per week. Other than these two scenarios, I invariably use the File:Open command (and consequently must face the ghoul that is our server) and am quite satisfied to do so.

Mr. Photo Help, as far as file associations go, I’ve already walked that dog (you are referring to the settings you can access by way of the Properties dialog, right? Or is there some other method I’m blissfully ignorant of?).

Again, I thank you for your efforts on my behalf.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 19, 2003
then drag and drop all the images I want to work on to Photoshop on the task bar.

That’s what I’ve always done and is no more tedious than a double click – in fact, it’s better in a couple of ways since you can drag n drop multiple files without having to wade through anything more than once.
DM
dave milbut
Sep 19, 2003
LenHewitt "Double-Clicking JPG’s doesn’t work in PS7" 5/7/02 12:42am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
RH
r_harvey
Sep 19, 2003
It looks like you’re comfortable with how file associations work in Windows. If you want JPG/JPEG files to open exactly the same as PSD files do, look at the PSD association, and change the JPG/JPEG association to match it. Regardless of the file associations, you can still drag&drop to any application that supports it.

I use InDesign much as you describe. After launching Photoshop the first time from InDesign, save and close the PSD file, but leave Photoshop running; that way, Photoshop won’t have to load again for the next file. This assumes, of course, that you have a big pot of RAM available.
DM
dave milbut
Sep 19, 2003
add the "%1" to the reg key for tif and jpg and whatever else isn’t working right per the faq link I posted.
R
richard
Sep 19, 2003
I have the same problem. Double clicking a jpg opens Photoshop, but does not open the photo. I have to search through the folders to find the image I want to edit.

I posted on this a couple of weeks ago, but didn’t get any help. If you find a solution, please email it to me.

Thanks,
Richard

"Aaron Nelson" …
I’ve got a maddening problem and don’t know whether to pin the blame on Adobe or Microsoft. I’ll stick to Microsoft for now because they’re easier to hate.

My problem is this; when I double click a graphic (such as a .tif or
..jpg) within Explorer or Outlook, it doesn’t open. Photoshop gets all worked up like it’s going to do something, and then doesn’t. Specifically, Photoshop will launch (if it isn’t already open) and then fail to do anything further. This is just one of many issues that have mysteriously presented themselves since I switched from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. At first, XP tried to open all images in it’s hateful little Microsoft Photo Editor. I think you’ll understand when I say I wished to have all photos open by default into Photoshop.
To further deepen the mystery, several peculiarities have become manifest. First, Photoshop is the only program exhibiting this behavior. Microsoft Photo Editor, Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer and Microsoft Paint all do just fine. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with Photoshop, not Windows. Second, PSD FILES WORK JUST FINE. This leads me to the same conclusion.

In an attempt to address this problem I reinstalled Photoshop.
Obviously, this had no effect, else I would not bare my soul here. Those with whom I work are helpless neophytes. Our intrepid IT Miracle Worker se dió por vencido after countless minutes of thankless effort. And so I put my petition before you, hoping that the vox populi can bring an end to my trevails, lest I give in to the twin demons of spiritous draughts and loose women.
I implore your kind assistance,

Aaron the graphics semi-pro (I’ll go pro next season)
AN
Aaron Nelson
Sep 19, 2003
Dave,

I followed the link you gave, and it worked like a charm. A million thanks. Also, thanks to everyone else who took a crack at my problem.
DM
dave milbut
Sep 19, 2003
cool beans aaron! 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections