Posted By
Jose_Batalla
Mar 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,

I have to enlarge quite a few high-res images for a catalog project. My rule of thumb has always been 120% of actual size max and I’m still safe.

However, the client wants some images to cover spreads, which would force me to blow those pics sometimes past 200% of their actual size.

I called the printer who’s printing the job to get their thoughts on fractiles software and they said that they typically go to 200% of actual size with little or no pixilation/degradation. I find that hard to believe…

I am running PS CS4. I would really appreciate any thoughts on the matter or recommendations on fractiles software.

Thanks!

Jose

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JM
J_Maloney
Mar 5, 2009
What original resolution? What printing process (linescreen, etc)?
JB
Jose_Batalla
Mar 5, 2009
Original resolution – 300DPI
Type – All digital images (JPG unfortunately, no RAW avail) Printing Process – 4 color process
Linescreen – No linescreen, Staccatto printing instead (20 micron scatter dotter)

I just spoke with the head of pre-press at the printer and he reassured me that I’m safe at 200%. FYI, he suggested that I enlarge the image in PS and place it in ID at the new actual size, rather than enlarging it past 100% in ID.

Wish me good luck!!!! 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 6, 2009
(good luck!)
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Mar 6, 2009
No problem!
P
pfigen
Mar 6, 2009
You’ll be amazed at how well it prints.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections